UKC

Waterproof fabrics

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blizzard 28 Jun 2013
On the whole I have been quite disappointed with the performance of trade mark breathable water proof fabrics. I don't wish to name brands or products. In torrential downpours, nothing can keep you dry.

What experiences have you had keeping dry in severe wet weather and what brands do you trust?
 Yanis Nayu 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Blizzard: I stay in the house.
In reply to Blizzard: If it's really tipping down, nothing will keep you dry shy of wrapping yourself in clingfilm. It's much more worthwhile trying to keep warm than dry.
ice.solo 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

there is a lot of hype over the fabrics, along with a lot of factors like the condition of the DWR, the activity, what you wear under the fabric and the construction of the jacket.

best ive used was the old incite fabric MHW had going 5 or 6 years ago, but it still wasnt as perfect as the marketing said it should be.
OP Blizzard 28 Jun 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

DWR

MHW

please explain abbreviations!
 Jon Wickham 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Blizzard:
DWR = Durable Water Repellence, a key ingredient in waterproof/breathable fabrics.
MHW = Mountain Hardwear, a North American clothing and gear manufacturer.

Have a read of this article to understand how fabrics work: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=4556
ice.solo 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

Department of Water Resources, Mixed Hazardous Waste.

just f*cking around. jon explained better.
 Dax H 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Blizzard: After a 450 mile trip from Kyle of loch alsh back to Leeds on a motorbike in very heavy rain I would say that gortex gear works, other than a slight damp patch on my belly were the speed of the bike had driven the rain up the gap between the trousers and the jacket both myself and the wife were bone dry.
 Timmd 30 Jun 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

Probably Goretex XCR is the best I've used, mine is a Mountain Equipment mountaineering jacket.

While not being 'dry', a fluffy woollen jumper over a merino base layer kept me warm under a plastic bag waterproof a while ago when I was out all day bustling about doing fencing.

I think if you're comfortable and warm you don't notice any dampness too much.

Goretex XCR with pitzips is good in my experience, though, but you'll still probably get damp arms or something like that...
 stonemaster 30 Jun 2013
In reply to Blizzard: Medium weight plastic bin liners...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...