UKC

Waterproof help!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Danbow73 19 May 2017
Does anyone have a problem with waterproof trousers leaking? I've tried loads of different brands all of which cost in the region of £150 to £300 but the water always seems to get in after a couple of weeks use!

I thought it was sweat to begin with but have done the shower test and confirmed it's not - it seems to be a particular issue in the crotch and thigh areas
 olddirtydoggy 19 May 2017
In reply to Danbow73:

Same problem here unless it's heavy duty winter salopettes.
OP Danbow73 20 May 2017
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

The last pair i'm currently having trouble with is the jottnar vanir lt which would i'd put in that class but they're leaking after 3-4 weeks use (and that includes being carried round in a pack)

I'm giving them a good clean to see if that helps but not what I expected from £300 trousers.

I've returned a bunch of rab stuff as well which has got me asking, is it just me?
 Pipecleaner 20 May 2017
In reply to Danbow73:
Yes, ive never had a membrane pair of waterproofs last more than 8 weeks or so before leaking from the crotch or backside.
I should say that i mostly was a fell runner and so do run off the hill a lot. Imo the membranes tend not to like getting repeatedly crinkled up and fail as a result. Jackets last way better as theres far less extreme movement.
Only trousers ive managed not to destroy are paramo enduros....tho theyre far from real world waterproof. Excellent for real cold weather bit awful in even moderate rain for more than an hour.
Ive tried neoshell, gore tex and event and they all fail pretty fast. If you ever find a bombproof pair of proper waterproofs for the mountains please please let me know!

NathanP 20 May 2017
In reply to Danbow73:

I've not had any problems. I have a couple of very old pairs: some very lightweight Lowe Tripplepoint trousers with a high waist, braces and full zip for winter which are a bit restrictive; and pair of OMM (actually so old they are badged as KIMM) Kamleika trousers that don't feel like over trousers at all. Neither have ever leaked or suffered too much from condensation.
 John Kelly 20 May 2017
In reply to Danbow73:

For under £50 Montane atomic very good, very light, very waterproof for 6 months
Buy in autumn, for great winter performance, wear them out in spring summer when it doesn't matter and replace
 olddirtydoggy 20 May 2017
In reply to Danbow73:
It's a big problem with them and until they can somehow make these things without seems then it will always be the first place they break down. The pair I have that work are North Face summit series samples I found in a TKMaxx for peanuts. It's really pot luck with trousers.
Post edited at 09:25
 DaveHK 20 May 2017
In reply to John Kelly:

> For under £50 Montane atomic very good, very light, very waterproof for 6 monthsBuy in autumn, for great winter performance, wear them out in spring summer when it doesn't matter and replace

Unfortunately the breathability is terrible.
 John Kelly 20 May 2017
In reply to DaveHK:
> Unfortunately the breathability is terrible.

Not my experience - which involves a few wet days some winter stuff and a bit of sweating.
Post edited at 13:20
 Rich W Parker 20 May 2017
In reply to Danbow73:
I find Arcteryx to be better re a combo of durability and impermeability. Premium cost though, but with cunning shopping they need not be full price.

I think manufacturers need to pull their fingers out and up their game, either that or slash prices – which will never happen. I am quite convinced that much outdoor gear, particularly waterproof, is barely fit for purpose, yet prices are hitting the stratosphere.

Vote with your wallets and make a noise.

Hypothetically, I could walk into an outdoor shop and critique a load of gear, I'd have some good things to say, but I could quite easily damn lots of stuff as overpriced, poorly manufactured, flawed or fail. And that's recognised brands.
Post edited at 20:30
 Billhook 20 May 2017
In reply to Danbow73:

I would suspect this to be linked to the seemingly constant desire of young males to scratch and move their wobbly bits every few minutes.
 kirstenp 15 Jun 2017
In reply to Danbow73:

I haven't found a pair that are waterproof either and I've tried plenty, mostly mid to high price range. As a distance backpacker I'm often out for hours in heavy rain. I now get a cheap, light pair and have made a "skirt" from tent outer silinylon which I wear over the top, and that keeps the worst off. A rectangle 50" X 25" sewn to make a tube and a channel with an elastic draw cord at the top. Weighs about 80g, easy to step into, and although it makes you look like a prat, it does the job!
 Dave the Rave 15 Jun 2017
In reply to Danbow73:

Betty Swollox sir?
 ianstevens 15 Jun 2017
In reply to NathanP:

> I've not had any problems. I have a couple of very old pairs: some very lightweight Lowe Tripplepoint trousers with a high waist, braces and full zip for winter which are a bit restrictive; and pair of OMM (actually so old they are badged as KIMM) Kamleika trousers that don't feel like over trousers at all. Neither have ever leaked or suffered too much from condensation.

Are you standing still in your OMMs?? Great, light trousers to have as a backup, but far from breathable!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...