UKC

Waterproof jackets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 glenn0010 02 Nov 2021

So my jackets are dying,

Need 2, one for trail running and one for mountineering

Any recccomendations? What is the sweet spot for price/performance? I've mever tried gortex pro, I'm ure it's good but those prices re off the charts. Are they worth it?

Cheers

Glenn

VictorM 03 Nov 2021
In reply to glenn0010:

With waterproofs it's sad but true: in general, the more you spend, the better they are. 

That's because making something highly waterproof but still quite breathable AND strong is really, really, difficult. Jackets that compromise on one of those characteristics can be a lot cheaper but then would also need more consideration about when and how to use them.

Now, I'm not saying you have to run outside and spend 700 pounds on an Arc'teryx Alpha SV but there is a sweet spot between price, breathability and durability and with waterproofs that sweet spot tends to be north of 300 pounds. 

Can't help you with the trail running jacket as that's not my cup of tea but for mountaineering I have used a Fjällräven Bergtagen Eco-Shell and Arc'teryx Alpha FL to full satisfaction. The former is more feature rich and heavier, the latter is very lightweight and bare bones but the material is bomber.

But to be honest, if you pick something from a reputable brand built from any 3L membrane you won't be disappointed. There are so many good options out there that it's more about what you like in terms of features and fit than in terms of brand or material. As long as it's 3L. Just remember to wash and reproof them regularly. That's more important with modern-day rain gear than it used to be. 

Graeme G 03 Nov 2021
In reply to glenn0010:

ME Lhotse for me. Anything by ME is bound to good. It’s just about your budget and what features you want.

Ridge 03 Nov 2021
In reply to glenn0010:

I think on the running front you'd be better looking at something that physically vents rather than spending a lot on breathable membranes.

AJK87 03 Nov 2021
In reply to glenn0010:

Another vote for ME

Tupilak is more mountaineering specific

But any of their 3 layer goretex pro will be good.

Keep an eye on Trekitt website for offers. They often have sales

In reply to glenn0010:

For trail running have a look at....

Dynafit, OMM, La Sportiva to name a few. They all do superlight Gore Active or own membrane swag.

johnlc 03 Nov 2021
In reply to glenn0010:

The Alpkit Gravitas might suit your requirements for trail running.  I don't own one but I had a look at one in a shop and it was as light as the proverbial feather.  I have been trying to do some Man Maths ever since to justify buying one.  Sadly it is made in China but they probably all are nowadays.

Jimbo C 03 Nov 2021
In reply to glenn0010:

Have you considered soft shell for running? Cost is a bit less. You're going to get wet from sweat anyway, but it depends on how long you're usually out for.

abr1966 03 Nov 2021
In reply to glenn0010:

I've recently replaced my hardshell....I've spent good money in the past on jackets that aren't actually that good although they have been relatively pricey. This time I splashed the cash on an Arcteryx Beta....had it from Taunton Leisure on a sale price plus they gave me extra discount...it came in at the same kind of price as the top end Mountain Equipment jackets.

It really is excellent quality although the fit isn't great as the arms are too long. 

I have other lighter weight shells that I'll wear over soft shell but use Arcteryx for Scotland in the winter etc...

Someone else has mentioned that you tend to have to pay for what you get and I agree really....although I do acknowledge the cost as a problem for a lot of folk.

Trail running....I'd be less concerned as long as it had large pit vents and fitted well...

Post edited at 13:55
 wbo2 03 Nov 2021
In reply to glenn0010:

I'd also hesitate to buy one of the super, super light jackets for trail running as you'll be wearing it a lot in the winter and they wear out.  Also it needs to be easily washable as it's going to stink pretty soon. I have a very light Gore goretex jacket,  but for the reasons above I have an Adidas wind and rain resistant jacket that sees 10 times more use.

For a mountain jacket I have a goretex Pro hardshell I've never regretted dropping the money on 

mff513 12 Nov 2021
In reply to glenn0010:

i have a jottnar bergelmir (now replaced by the odin) and iam happy with it, the fit is nice and material is good for climbing and tasks where abrasion is common, as for running i use a softshell and accept that getting wet is part of the game. the problem of the tasks that youre partaking in is that ideally for running youd go for a 10-30 denier or around that. for climbing/mountaineering ideally 40-80 denier being the general norm for climbing. so in my view its gonna be expensive but a decent option might be an alpkit lightweight shell and then something like a ME tupilak or jottnar odin and theyre decentish price when on offer too 

SFM 12 Nov 2021
In reply to glenn0010:

re running it’s worth looking at Inov08 jackets, either the Stormshell or Raceshell depending on how light you want. I’ve got the Stormshell and been surprised at the breathability. 
Previously I used a MHW Essence jacket which was waterproof and comfortable to wear but could be sweaty inside. The Shormshell doesn’t get anywhere near like as wet inside.

Although never used it for running a Patagonia Houdini could also be a consideration as offers a good compromise between water resistance and breathability. 

blackcat 12 Nov 2021
In reply to SFM:

I bought a goretex pro shell start of this year £475 lot of dosh but i know itl last me at least 5 years like my previous one,as for running if its pissing i stay in and wait till its dry,i just use windbreakers to cut the cold wind out,sorted.

Cornish boy 13 Nov 2021
In reply to glenn0010:

ME Tupilak for mountaineering. 

Think I saw one the other day on a website for £280.00

It’s good for skiing too. 

In reply to glenn0010:

Has anyone had any experience with the alpkit definition jacket? or the Montane gravity?  the alpkit looks good and not bad price but unknown waterproof membrane but has good lab numbers?  but then eVent has good numbers but isn't/wasn't the hardiest of jacket membranes.  Montane, I like i have a 15 year old Montane eVent jacket i want to replae, but something that won't be hurt under rucksacks like my montane was.  Both those jackets have around 70D fabric i believe.  I do love the look of the ME Lhotse but the price is too rich for me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...