UKC

Waterproof shell recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Only a hill 12 Aug 2013
I'm in the market for a new waterproof jacket as my 2010 Mountain Equipment shell is disintegrating - think it was the Morpheus. I'm looking for a replacement similar in terms of features but preferably more durable, as the Morpheus started to fall to bits and delaminate after less than two years.

My budget is £250 absolute max and I'm looking for something with a decent hood, preferably lightweight but to be honest I value durability more after my most recent experience! In terms of usage scenarios these days I do more walking and backpacking than climbing.

Any recommendations?
 xplorer 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

Contact mountain equipment, they should exchange it for you. If its delaminating in under two years I'd be rite pissed off.
OP Only a hill 12 Aug 2013
In reply to xplorer:
I thought about that at the time but thought they'd probably fob me off with "wear and tear". The jacket is genuinely trashed--I've had to stitch the shoulder back together, and the lower back section (where it makes contact with the rucksack hipbelt) is totally delaminated.
 BnB 12 Aug 2013
I find the best brand for value in the upper ranges (ie Goretex ProShell or similar) is Marmot. Never been disappointed in their gear. Very durable. Great performance. See what you can find in their range.
 d_b 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

I got an ME kongur MRT, which started divorcing bits of trim almost immediately. Unimpressed so far, and would be interested to see what you come up with.
 Wee Davie 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

My recent experience of shell jacket failure has made me pretty sceptical about durability and quality. If I had to buy another waterproof shell I'd go to TKMaxx and get the cheapest shell I could. Last time I was in there they had Berghaus Goretex for £99.

This Winter I'll be going back to softshell- no way am I paying over £200 for a jacket that's fuct after 1 season....
In reply to Only a hill:

Either you guys get out considerably more than me or ME suck because my Arcteryx Pro shell jacket looks virtually as new, and I don't baby it either...
 nufkin 12 Aug 2013
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

> Either you guys get out considerably more than me or ME suck because my Arcteryx Pro shell jacket looks virtually as new, and I don't baby it either...

Arcteryx do make a big thing about how their face fabrics are more durable than everyone elses. And charge accordingly - not sure if they make anything that you can buy for £250

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...