UKC

Waterproof socks...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jonnyboy 12 Oct 2012
Does anyone use waterproof socks?

I have a pair which I virtually never used, so thinking of getting rid. But they look so handy.

Cheers,

John.
 tim000 12 Oct 2012
In reply to jonnyboy: i use a pair of sealskin sock for work if it`s wet . seem to be ok.
 Welsh Kate 12 Oct 2012
In reply to jonnyboy:
They're great for fabric boots with a gtx liner for waterproofing after the liner goes.
 xplorer 12 Oct 2012
In reply to jonnyboy:

I've got some seal skins and I use them most of the time. Tried a lot of other socks, but the seal skins seem to work with my feet and boots best.
the real slim shady 12 Oct 2012
In reply to jonnyboy: I have sealskinz too and they are great. I've never had wet feet or a blister when I've been wearing them. That said, I've never had a major blister.

Maybe I don't get out enough...
 Siward 12 Oct 2012
In reply to jonnyboy:

I have a couple of pairs of old Sealskinz. They are OK, but not great, for a full day's walk. Mine tend to ruck up a bit under the sole of the foot over time which is not good. However, they are waterproof and stretchy although I've no idea of how they would be over the long term (only worn them 10-20 times).

They are good for wearing for river crossings- wear your boots without socks, get your boots soaking but then put on the socks and keep your feet dry.
the real slim shady 12 Oct 2012
In reply to derek the dragon: And I also wear a pair of thinish socks underneath the sealskinz when Im out
OP jonnyboy 13 Oct 2012
Thanks for the info. There back in the 'keep' pile.
In reply to jonnyboy: Great for winter cycling and fell running (lots of water and thin non waterproof shoes). Only downside I find is they can wear through at key points, and the membrane is compromised; as a result I only use them when most needed.
 Phil1919 14 Oct 2012
In reply to fairweatherclimber: Yes, I think wearing them for fellrunning is extravagant. Best to save them for after the run.
 richparry 14 Oct 2012
In reply to jonnyboy:

I use sealskinz socks every day in work from about October to April and think they are brilliant. Even when my boots are saturated my feet are bone dry. They do tend to eventually wear out in the heel but considering the use they get its not surprising.
Given a choice between uncomfortable wellies and £20 socks its a no brainer for me.
 Fluvial 14 Oct 2012
In reply to jonnyboy:

I use them on fieldwork trips, when the grounds boggy at footy training and when out hiking - best money I have ever spent and mine have been going years
In reply to jonnyboy:
I am amazed at all the positive answers. I have had a couple of pairs of sealskinz for winter mountain biking and neither pair has ever kept my feet dry for more than a short time (<1/2 hour) on a wet trail yet some of my mates and obviously a lot of people on here find them v good. What is the difference?
 TobyA 15 Oct 2012
In reply to harold walmsley:
> for winter mountain biking and neither pair has ever kept my feet dry for more than a short time (<1/2 hour) on a wet trail yet some of my mates and obviously a lot of people on here find them v good. What is the difference?

Do you get very sweaty feet? Could that be the dampness? Or splashes up your leg dribbling down into the sock? I'm impressed with how well my sealskinz keep my feet dry, but that doesn't mean they keep my feet warm - not whilst cycling anyway. I was writing about this just last night, after I tweeted this photo https://twitter.com/TobyinHelsinki/status/257495313160495105/photo/1 (sealskinz in use, but still cold toes!) and the response prompted this blog post http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.fi/2012/10/trail-riding-and-avoiding-cold...

lummox 15 Oct 2012
In reply to jonnyboy: yup- thick ones for winter cycling and thinner ones for running in the winter. Even if you feel damp in them sometimes, they keep my feet warm which is always a bonus.
 MHutch 15 Oct 2012
In reply to harold walmsley:
> In reply to jonnyboy:
> I am amazed at all the positive answers. I have had a couple of pairs of sealskinz for winter mountain biking and neither pair has ever kept my feet dry for more than a short time (<1/2 hour) on a wet trail yet some of my mates and obviously a lot of people on here find them v good. What is the difference?

Are you tucking your Ron Hills into them? That was my schoolboy error which left me with a couple of sock-shaped footbaths. Fine since I stopped doing that.

I also wear them with thin liner socks which might make the sweaty moistness a bit more comfortable, but they've been fine in all but the worst conditions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...