UKC

WC Friends 5 and 6

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Coel Hellier 31 Jul 2018

WC Technical Friends in sizes 5 and 6 are still on the WC website, but most shop websites say "out of stock". Are they still being made?

[Yes I know that DMM now make Dragons in these large sizes, but having double-axle cams in such large sizes seems to add little to the range while adding a lot to the weight.]

In reply to Coel Hellier:

I've just dropped Wild Country a message to see if I can get a concrete response as to their current status, but have received an out of office reply from the member of staff in question. They're back in a few days time and I'll endeavour to chase it up upon their return.

beardy mike 31 Jul 2018

I think not... not 100% sure but I don't think it's in their game plan either?

Mr. Lee 31 Jul 2018

> Yes I know that DMM now make Dragons in these large sizes, but having double-axle cams in such large sizes seems to add little to the range while adding a lot to the weight.

WC number 6 is 533g, DMM Dragon number 8 is 525g. So the DMMs are actually lighter, although obviously not by much.

DMM are obviously also British, which is another plus point for me, and will also replace slings, service, etc. 

tingle 31 Jul 2018

A used wc5 went for over 50 quid on eBay last night, I thought it was odd. 

Just had a reply from Wild Country.

The Friend 5 & 6 are not in production at present, but 'might well' be back in 2020.

With that in mind, I think it's a case of wait and see...

OP Coel Hellier 06 Aug 2018
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Thanks!    Guess I might have to go for a Dragon ...

For what it's worth the new 5 + 6 Dragons seem very good.

The major problem I've found with - how shall I put this - the 'other' super-size twin-axel cam available on today's market is that the springs used within them have really been lacking. The result is that they've got an extremely floppy feel, are prone to walking, and extremely unstable. This problem seems to have been resolved by the Dragon, with the added benefit of a 13.75 camming angle which means that irrespective of whether they're over-cammed or fully tipped out, they're still going to hold.

All that said, I'm still not sure they'd actually inspire me to get on an oddwidth again anytime soon!

You've got mail.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...