UKC

Wearing under hardshells...?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reader_Rambles 11 Jan 2018

Hi all,

What does everyone wear under a hardshell pant such as the ME Tupilak or similar?

Thermals? Lightweight softshell pants so that you can manage the approach and then put them on?

(Just a question to find advice and knowledge from those fair more experienced.)

alx 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Reader_Rambles:

If it’s cold I wear arcteryx gamma AR’s with classic blue helly hanson underneath a hard shell outer.

It usually depends on conditions if the hard shell goes on to begin with or later when needed.

Post edited at 22:40
 GrahamD 12 Jan 2018

If by "hard shell pant" you mean "waterproof over trousers", then actually classic Ron Hills or running bottoms take a lot of beating.

HeMa 12 Jan 2018

thermals... thicker ones if cold and well lighter if less cold.

two real troos ontop each others seems kind of daff... and would only make sense if you would spend over 90% of the time in the softshells, and only add the shell when it rains etc. In which case the shell troos might as well be a lot lighter.

neuromancer 12 Jan 2018
In reply to alx:

Thick dual weave softshell trousers OVER helly hansen Lifa's UNDER hardshells?

Where are you climbing, alaska?

guy127917 12 Jan 2018

Patagonia dual point alpine pants- light, stretchy, windproof. Good enough for the approach and good under a hard shell (I use Arcteryx theta sv)

In reply to neuromancer:

Haha god I wish. Unfortunately not, but just acquired some high end hard shell pants from a family friend for a very good price and as I've never used hard shell salopettes before I was unsure what to wear. Also the problem with the approach whether to wear immediately or later

Ardo 13 Jan 2018

I wear a pair of thin soft shell pants, (summer weight), under Mountain Equipment Karakorum Pants, when going for the hard shell option. They have full side zips, so you can vent easily enough, if required.

bouldery bits 13 Jan 2018

Either Ronnie's or HH Lifa under ME Karakorum.

alx 13 Jan 2018
In reply to neuromancer:

Try lying still in a frozen bog for an hour to get a shot of a sodding sleeping hare waking up and stretching.

In reply to alx:

I'm not sure that counts as 'climbing'...

planetmarshall 14 Jan 2018

> What does everyone wear under a hardshell pant such as the ME Tupilak or similar?

Fishnets.

LouiseMcMahon 14 Jan 2018

In winter just thermals I go out with them on. I’m going to be putting them at some point so may aswell start with them on. 

ColdWill 14 Jan 2018

Rab Power Stretch pants or similar Power Stretch pants. You can start your walk with the zips on your shell down below your hip belt ready to vent no faf. I still freeze on long belays though so I'm actually considering a pair of knee length full side zip shorts I can quickly add when I put my harness on. so double fleece on the upper leg.

alx 14 Jan 2018
In reply to captain paranoia:

There are some pretty big groughs up on Kinder

I freeze and suffer the cold like a newly born child! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...