UKC

What gadgets and hi-tech outdoor toys do you have?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 03 Oct 2013
Putting a map + compass aside, because they are essential bits of kit, what hi-tech toys do you take on the hill or out climbing?

Cars don't count either, even the 4x4 variety.
 Cameron94 04 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming: Probably my axes BD fusion 2's with fluorescent tape on the shafts, total overkill for climbing IV, 4 but nice all the same.

I don't really have any gadgets other than my watch.

You didn't answer the question yourself though. What's yours?
 Blue Straggler 04 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Kouba wired tri-cams
needvert 04 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Google earth in my pocket. F*cking amazing.
 MikeSP 04 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming: Not sure if it counts but, Jetboil. Perfect for the brew stop.
almost sane 04 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
For multi-day trips, to help with the cooking:
a silicone colander like this one http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-silicone-collapsible-colander/p436620
It is handy as a place to put your chopped veg before cooking, as well as being useful for draining rice, pasta, etc. It really comes into its own if there is a bunch of you away for several days.
Also a small chopping board and a proper kitchen knife with a washable sheath, a bit like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Colourworks-Multi-purpose-Paring-Knife-Sheath/dp/B0... Much lighter than most "outdoors" knives, easier to keep clean than a folding knife, and it has the ideal blade shape for food prep.
ice.solo 04 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

silicone piss bottle
almost sane 04 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
And for multi-day trips when we're far from civilisation, my big battery pack is a huge boon.
It means my smart phone (GPS), camera and e-reader keep working.

I have an Anker E4 and it is awesome
 cuppatea 04 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

I'm about to have a look at one of these

http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/P~157695~Uni-Com-Power-Beam-Wind-UpTorch

£8.50 with online code 15 CATA

If I'm honest I'm more interested in the usb charging socket that the torch, given the longevity of smartphone batteries.
 Flinticus 04 Oct 2013
In reply to almost sane:
That is too middle class!

As for a chopping board, I use the reverse of my tough plastic plate.
 Jimbo C 04 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Mobile phone

Head torch (cos we always finish climbing when it's dark)

Thermos Flask

Tuppaware lunch box.

NottsRich 04 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus:
> (In reply to almost sane)
> As for a chopping board, I use the reverse of my tough plastic plate.

I've got a liquid fuel stove. It, and everything associated, (except fuel) fit in a tuppaware box. The lid of that is a perfect chopping board!

I splashed out on a fancy headtorch. Does that count as a gadget?

Tempted by an altimeter watch but can't really justify it for UK with only a little bit of the alps each year. If I go to the alps more often...

Actually, I did get an MSR 1L cooking pot. The one where the handle goes across the lid and clamps down. Quite useful for keeping some dinner in for lunch the next day! And it's still quite shiney.
 wilkie14c 04 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
I'm pretty shit in this catagory!
Indiglo watch to tell the time.
Phone.
Garmin Etrex summit GPS. Very rarely even switch it on and if I do its for a grid ref or easy nav to a pre programmed waypoint.
One thing I do love is my mapping system, I got memory map for most of the UK and often print an A4 section of where I'm going and laminate it. Saves messing with a full map, its waterproof and it can be used again and again.
Even my cameras are basic - a basic Canon compact and a Nikon L810 cross over.
Maybe I'm old school - its me again the wilderness, not my tech against the wilderness.
almost sane 04 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus:
> (In reply to almost sane)
> That is too middle class!
>

I think this is the first time I have been called middle class.

I have arrived! Thank you.

Seriously, though, if you are away for a long time, then food prep becomes very important. Nothing tastes as good as fresh food.
Of course there are lighter options if one is travelling alone or in a very small team, but in a big squad it is worth getting some good utensils, and especially worth getting a couple of big pans.

Another handy gadget is a floodlight for the kitchen and/or the dining area. Something like http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=1... is great.
In reply to The Lemming: I've got a DeLorme InReach SE, quite handy when you're out in the wild and desperately need to Tweet something. =o)
OP The Lemming 04 Oct 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> silicone piss bottle

And what's wrong with a bog standard alcothene bottle?

sdawson1 04 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming: View ranger and a 1:25000 OS map installed on Android phone as backup. Cant wait to top out in winter and know exactly where I am for a change !
 GrahamD 04 Oct 2013
In reply to almost sane:

> Seriously, though, if you are away for a long time, then food prep becomes very important. Nothing tastes as good as fresh food.

That clearly isn't true though, after beer nothing tastes as good as curry or kebab.
andymac 04 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Invested in a Casio Protrek watch.

Was only £100 ,but tells me all I need to know.

Altitude is accurate to within 5m.which is fine by me.

And happy with the compass function.
OP The Lemming 04 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Last week I discovered that my smartphone had a baromiter in it. How cool is that?

ice.solo 04 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to ice.solo)
> [...]
>
> And what's wrong with a bog standard alcothene bottle?
>
>

Like a fiat, its fine till you try a ferrari.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...