UKC

What gadgets do you use??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Danylblack4 09 Jul 2018

What devices do you use to navigate while hiking and stay in touch with the outer world?

What gear you consider useless for hiking?

tlouth7 09 Jul 2018
In reply to Danylblack4:

Map and compass to navigate (call me old fashioned), maybe Garmin watch as a backup, though I might have to think about how to find lat and long on it, and how to get those onto the OS map.

Mobile phone for contacting the real world, having a Nokia brick with good battery life helps. I've always found UK upland areas have surprisingly good signal, for example getting a text while halfway up Fiacaill Ridge (II) in a blizzard to let us know that the ski-road was closing.

SLR for photos, or my companions normally have phones with good cameras.

Tringa 09 Jul 2018
In reply to Danylblack4:

Map and compass. I also have OS Locate ( https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/os-locate ) on my phone, which gives you your 6 figure grid reference. I think  the combination of these three is a good use of old and new technology.

I have Viewranger on my phone too and sometimes use it, but to track where I have been than as a navigation aid.

I don't stay in touch with the outside world when I'm walking but most of my walks are day walks . However, even for day walks I always let some know in reasonable detail where I am going.

I don't know of any useless gear, but I have never found, in the UK, the need to have an altimeter.

Dave

nniff 09 Jul 2018
In reply to Danylblack4:

Map and compass.  Altimeter on a Casio watch.

I have a mobile phone.  That has a few useful OS maps things on it, but I've only ever used them at the side of the road when trying to work out a sensible route home on my bike.  Mostly the phone sits in a small dry bag in a warm pocket, with most things switched off, saving battery power in case it's needed.

Lots of gear is useless for hiking; I scarcely know where to start but, seeing as Wimbledon and the Tour de France are on, I'll open the betting with tennis rackets and speedsuits.

In reply to Danylblack4:

Shorter hikes: I use Gaia GPS on my iPhone for navigation, and usually, I don't need other gadgets for staying in touch. In flight mode and with dimmed screen the battery easily lasts a few of days.

Longer trekking: Map and compass as backup.

Wilderness: Previously I have used a Garmin satellite phone as backup. If I ever come to need such a device again, I will invest in a Garmin InReach Mini.

Danylblack4 04 Aug 2018
In reply to Danylblack4:

Thanks a lot, haven't heard about Garmin devices before, will search for more information about them.

In reply to Danylblack4:

iPhone in a waterproof case, outdoor gps app on it with 1:25000 O/S maps. We chucked out out paper maps years ago and have never regretted it. Carry a charged up external battery but have never used it. 

Also crag apps for Font etc and PDFs for other crags and Lakes bouldering from Lakesbloc

Y Gribin 04 Aug 2018
In reply to Danylblack4:

iphone with GB Outdoors for primary navigation - its quick,easy  and it just works. I put it on Airplane mode to save battery and because I don’t want texts and emails on the hill. I use a Fenix 3 to record my route to Strava and as a backup to the phone (ie if I want a grid in a gale). There’s always a map and compass in my sack. Annoyingly, I increasingly use my phone as my camera too - annoying because I love proper cameras. I’ll still use my G16 in winter. 

Y Gribin 04 Aug 2018
In reply to Danylblack4: for hill walking devices, when people refer to ‘their Garmin’, they normally either mean a handheld GPS device or a watch (like my Fenix). For watches, also look at Suunto. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...