UKC

What happened to e-climb?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kai 20 Jan 2021

I noticed that e-climb appears to no longer be in business.

Anyone know what happened to them?   

Just another casualty of the hyper-competitive outdoor equipment market?  

nufkin 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Kai:

Not fully sure, but maybe bought out a couple of years ago and then, presumably, shut down. Just when I'd been planning to get some of their tools too.

Maybe Ramon, who occasionally posts and I think was sponsored by them, will notice this and be able to shed more light

beardy mike 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Kai:

I am sure I saw that the axes were being sold under the Alien brand for a bit but I checked the Fixe website and can’t see them. I suspect that the majority of their business was ice screws, and once Petzl and BD basically stole their IP by copying the two part screw design, they probably found it extremely hard? I mean its a complete guess but possible? I can’t imagine they made rolls of dollar off the axes as you tend to buy a pair and that’s it for a while...

OP Kai 21 Jan 2021
In reply to beardy mike:

The unique part about them was not the two part design (aluminum body with steel tip.)  That design has been around since the 80's  (Lowe RATS were aluminum body, steel tip.)

The unique thing about the e-climb screws is that the steel tip could be swapped out if the teeth got damaged. 

I have some of their aluminum ice screws.  Would love to get some more replacement tips.  (This is why I figured out that they were out of business.)  

beardy mike 21 Jan 2021
In reply to Kai:

Fair comment, I suppose what I'm saying though is that their business was based around two main products, and one of them was basically culled by main manufacturers copying that product and using their marketing clout. Lets face it, E-Climb was hardly a household name, as soon as you get Petzl or BD doing more or less the same product it will roundhouse kick out the legs of smaller companies doing the same product. Mores the shame because e-climb had a drastically different way of operating and designing things...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...