UKC

what to do with a single technical ice axe?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CharlieMack 20 Sep 2013
I had my house broken into and amongst other things, they stole one of my DMM rebel ice axes. Leaving me with just the adze version.

So I'm not quite sure what to do with it. Unfortunately my axe wasn't covered in the insurance. And nowhere seems to sell them to replace the other.

Its too technical and heavy to use for walking, I doubt anyone will want to buy it and it seems a waste binning it.

Any ideas?
 spenser 20 Sep 2013
In reply to CharlieMack:
Cotswold stock the rebel with the adze on it, there was one in the newcastle branch today.
 Tom Last 20 Sep 2013
In reply to CharlieMack:

They have tactical rebels at Joe Browns, failing that I bet plenty of climbing shops are carrying them as old stock - pretty sure I saw some in Cotswolds down here not long ago.

http://www.joe-brown.com/outdoor-equipment/dmm_tactical_rebel_hammer

Otherwise sell the adze on here, I'll bet someone will buy it.
 Puppythedog 20 Sep 2013
In reply to CharlieMack: they come up on e-bay too.
In reply to CharlieMack:

If it's not in really poor condition, and postage wasn't a bomb I might consider grabbing it for my climbing club. I'm sure they would find a use for it?

a crap climber 20 Sep 2013
In reply to Tom Last:

Tactical rebel? Why? Who on earth needs them? Sounds like it would be the most ridiculous made-up special forces from the worst kind of trashy airport thriller.

Sorry for the tread hijack
 JayPee630 20 Sep 2013
In reply to a crap climber:

Royal Marines Mountain and Arctic Warfare Cadre/Brigade Patrol Troop and 22 SAS Mountain Troops for a start.
 Strachan 20 Sep 2013
In reply to CharlieMack:
Cotswolds in keswick had a load of rebels in about 3 weeks ago as I remember... maybe worth phoning them? They cant have sold too many since then
 a crap climber 20 Sep 2013
In reply to JayPee630:

Do they regularly make tactical insertions via high grade mixed and ice routes?

If it's steep enough to need rebels then climbing it with all your army gear sounds like the worst plan ever. I'd hate to be the gpmg gunner in that situation. I suppose you could always haul bergans etc afterwards.

I wonder what kind of target they would be looking for at the top of a pitch of IV or whatever?

I suppose its good to know there are people trained for any eventuality. Maybe its just an excuse to go ice climbing (though the forces never really seem to bother finding excuses to do that kind of thing)
OP CharlieMack 21 Sep 2013
In reply to CharlieMack:

Cheers folks. Ill check out cotswold. Abd I can think of loads of tactical insertion advantages of ice climbing. Is there not ice high up in afgan for example?
ice.solo 21 Sep 2013
In reply to CharlieMack:

Id keep it handy for if you ever find the f*cker that broke up the set.
 a crap climber 21 Sep 2013
In reply to CharlieMack:

Yep theres ice, but I'd struggle to imagine there being any insurgents at the top.
 John Kelly 21 Sep 2013
In reply to CharlieMack:

sell it before the winter climbing ban comes in
OP CharlieMack 21 Sep 2013

Use it to sneak over the top and get round the back surely?!
 joe.91 21 Sep 2013
In reply to CharlieMack: I can confirm that cotswolds have Rebel's in the preston store
 JayPee630 22 Sep 2013

Know what you mean, totally get the need to be able to get up steep/icy/snowy/rocky ground at some moderate grade, but can't imagine there's much military need to be able to ascent hard ice routes!

But maybe there is as most countries seem to maintain some military ability to do that.
 Flashy 22 Sep 2013
> (In reply to JayPee630)
>
> Do they regularly make tactical insertions via high grade mixed and ice routes?

Probably a case of whoever procures ice axes buying 'the very best' (also British). To them the differing versatilities or whatever of axes are just nuances. I imagine there's a lot of other gear that's 'the best', but those with an encyclopedic knowledge might claim that something more basic might be more suitable.
 nufkin 22 Sep 2013

> Tactical rebel? Why? Who on earth needs them?

The popular 'Call of Duty' military simulation demonstrated just such a scenario, as I recall
 Robert Durran 22 Sep 2013
In reply to CharlieMack:
> I had my house broken into and amongst other things, they stole one of my DMM rebel ice axes. Leaving me with just the adze version.
>
> So I'm not quite sure what to do with it.

Continue using it. Buy another axe. Don't fall for the marketing/fashion victimisation bollocks telling you you need matching axes.
OP CharlieMack 23 Sep 2013
In reply to CharlieMack:

Cheers for the info for picking up another rebel. But I don't understand people's issue with military uses?!?! Its not as though every British soldiers is getting trained and equipped to scale grade V.
Its surely just for special forces.

Given the current issues over oil reserves in the Arctic, is it impossible that there will be no military action up that way.

Im sure there are loads of times where its been militarily advantageous to get troops up to high ground in mountain environments. Look at the Indian/ Pakistan border for example.

Its a good job we don't teach soldiers to ski too for that matter. Its not like there's ever been occupied heavy water plants in the mountains where the ability to ski or ice climb for tactical insertion would be of the slightest help.

Christ. You lot don't seem to have much imagination! Or indeed look at history, or even look at current affairs.

Go out and climb something, or read a paper or stop hijacking threads with uninformed drivel.
 thedatastream 23 Sep 2013

Nowt wrong with Rebels for easy stuff, they are good axes and easy to use.

p.s. Sorry to hear about you getting burglarised Charlie
 AlanLittle 23 Sep 2013
In reply to CharlieMack:
>
> Its a good job we don't teach soldiers to ski too for that matter. Its not like there's ever been occupied heavy water plants in the mountains where the ability to ski or ice climb for tactical insertion would be of the slightest help.
>

Nor did the Finns ever defeat the mighty Red Army by the application of superior cross conrty skiing ability.

Oh, wait ....

JayPee630 23 Sep 2013
In reply to CharlieMack:

Calm down! I don't think people are disputing the need for the ability to get high and move about in the mountains, more *wondering* if there's much of a military need for the ability to climb steep ice routes that often!
 Blue Straggler 23 Sep 2013
In reply to CharlieMack:

I have in the past sold a single technical axe on here. And I might buy one too! I have three axes, oddly enough.
Eiska 23 Sep 2013
In reply to CharlieMack:

>
> Its a good job we don't teach soldiers to ski too for that matter. Its not like there's ever been occupied heavy water plants in the mountains where the ability to ski or ice climb for tactical insertion would be of the slightest help.
>

Thought norwegians were supposed to take care of those sort of things...

TobyA 23 Sep 2013
In reply to AlanLittle:

> Nor did the Finns ever defeat the mighty Red Army by the application of superior cross conrty skiing ability.

As I have a PhD on Finnish security policy I feel I should say something here.

So they didn't defeat the Red Army, they slowed it down for a few months. It wasn't mighty when they fought it with some success, it was hugely under-resourced and ill-led, and the successes they did have weren't really the result of superior cross country skiing ability. But otherwise, spot on.

TobyA 23 Sep 2013
In reply to JayPee630:

> Calm down! I don't think people are disputing the need for the ability to get high and move about in the mountains, more *wondering* if there's much of a military need for the ability to climb steep ice routes that often!

Particularly leashless, surely it would make better tactical sense to use leashed tools so you could drop them in order to fire your weapon at baddies? Although I admit that if the baddies were ALSO ice climbing - perhaps on a parallel icefall to yours - leashless would be better in the sense that as it is quicker to place an ice screw leashless, so I would imagine that it's also quicker to un-holster your Glock 9mm and blow away the terrorists as well?

In my film the ice climbing terrorists would definitely be using Nomics because we like to get in a subtle dig at the French when possible.
 JayPee630 23 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Maybe they use them leashless so when they run out of bullets they can throw them like tomahawks?
 TobyA 23 Sep 2013
In reply to JayPee630:

> Maybe they use them leashless so when they run out of bullets they can throw them like tomahawks?

That would be the obvious way to finish of the chief baddy at the end of the film! Looks like I'm going to have to give you a co-writer credit in the movie now.
 Blue Straggler 23 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to JayPee630)
>
> [...]
>
> That would be the obvious way to finish of the chief baddy at the end of the film! Looks like I'm going to have to give you a co-writer credit in the movie now.

One for Neil Marshall too :-P
 blurty 23 Sep 2013
> So they didn't defeat the Red Army, they slowed it down for a few months. It wasn't mighty when they fought it with some success, it was hugely under-resourced and ill-led, and the successes they did have weren't really the result of superior cross country skiing ability. But otherwise, spot on.

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good pre-conception
 Richard Carter 23 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:

I'd watch that movie.
 d_b 23 Sep 2013
In reply to Richard Carter:

They could film awesome mixed climbing/dry tooling sequences at Millstone and Stanage. Nobody will object, after all they did Wuthering Heights at Burbage N didn't they?
 d_b 23 Sep 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

I'm thinking of the bit where the burned out hero is argued out of retirement and, gets back his climbing fitness and sleeps with his bosses daughter. Eiger sanction style.
 andrewmc 23 Sep 2013
In reply to CharlieMack:

Presumably the military would use their ice axes for training rather more than actual James Bond style insertions, at which point a rather nifty axe might be more fun for the people who get to play with them.

Also presumably you only have to get one guy and a really long rope (or radio/binoculars/laser targetter etc) up there to make a difference...
 nufkin 24 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:

> In my film the ice climbing terrorists would definitely be using Nomics because we like to get in a subtle dig at the French when possible

But Nomics always come top in the 'what axe should I buy' threads. Can't the baddies have Anarchists instead?

And is there a place for Jason Statham in this film of yours? Also JCVD, in his Coors advert guise?
 ledifer 24 Sep 2013
In reply to nufkin:

I can't see Nicholas Cage turning it down
 AlanLittle 24 Sep 2013
In reply to blurty:
> [...]
>
> Don't let the truth get in the way of a good pre-conception

Don't let a pedant who doesn't understand what a tongue-in-cheek throwaway comment is get in the way of a good tongue-in-cheek throwaway comment
 TobyA 24 Sep 2013
In reply to nufkin:

> But Nomics always come top in the 'what axe should I buy' threads.

DMM Flys surely? But then the plucky British slightly-under-resourced sidekick would probably be using them before coming to their sad and all too soon demise about 3/4s of the way into the movie.
 TobyA 24 Sep 2013
In reply to AlanLittle: I even added a to my post Alan! Don't get too grumpy.
 Choss 24 Sep 2013
In reply to CharlieMack:

Hi Charlie.

Back on track. If you just want rid. I could probably well make use of a single axe in my esoteric plans.
In reply to CharlieMack:
> (In reply to CharlieMack)
>
> Cheers for the info for picking up another rebel. But I don't understand people's issue with military uses?!?!
>
> Christ. You lot don't seem to have much imagination! Or indeed look at history, or even look at current affairs.
>
> Go out and climb something, or read a paper or stop hijacking threads with uninformed drivel.

I realise you've just had some stuff stolen but a bit of a sense of humour might help.
What sort of thread is this? You have an 'odd' axe, either sell it or find a partner. Some people don't care if they have a matched pair believe it or not and would be happy to pick one up for a few quid.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...