UKC

What to do with my Vegas?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lightweight 03 Feb 2013

I have a pair of dark blue/purple Scarpa Vegas bought about 18 years ago. I bought some Sportiva Nepal Extremes about five years' later, and so haven't worn the Vegas much - probably about 10-15 winter days.

But what to do with them, I ask as I get ready to move home, and declutter. You can't use them as ski-touring boots. I'm not likely to do multi-day winter expeditions (where being able to put the inner boots in my sleeping ba would be helpful), they're not as comfy as my Sportivas (not remotely, and much heavier).

Like an old laptop that's gone out of date, I think these boots have nowhere to go. Unless you're a ski-lift attendant, work in cold environments, or want to climb in very cold environments (but not so cold you'd need the high-altitude version, and even then there are surely lighter equivalents).

Should I throw them/sell them?
 sleavesley 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Lightweight: Ebay would be my vote. Someone, somewhere will surely want them. Only down side, would be the hassle of posting them and the price to send them.
 Wee Davie 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Lightweight:

You'll get decent cash for them on ebay. I'd bet on £40 plus as long as they are intact. Postage will prob be near a tenner- but the buyer will pay that.
 Brass Nipples 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Lightweight:

I sold a pair for £50 last year , bought by a guy off to Nepal for a trekking peak.
 mike123 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Lightweight: i d keep hold if you have even the slightest ambition to go to the greater ranges, getting something to replace them would cost you a lot more than the £50 you ll get for them
 RichardP 03 Feb 2013
In reply to mike123:
> i d keep hold if you have even the slightest ambition to go to the greater ranges, getting something to replace them would cost you a lot more than the £50 you ll get for them

Years ago, I got a pair for £50 from Outside (one size 12.5 the other 13)
I have them as a spare pair because a pair of B3 boots is a real bargin

DaveHK 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Lightweight:

Use them as flower pots.
Douglas Griffin 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Lightweight:

I have a pair of Scarpa Vegas in the loft as well, they are practically new - I think I only wore them a couple of times. Will be interested to see what advice you get!
 TobyA 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin: Similar here. Kept them for very cold weather, using them rarely but bought some Baruntses last year, so don't need them really anymore even for that. I used mine for a couple of seasons, but then got Nepal Extremes like seemingly 90% of other climbers back then!
 Tim Sparrow 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Lightweight: I know someone who has nailed his to a tree - bird nest box!
 Fiskavaig 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Lightweight:What size are they?
shamballa8 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Lightweight: I have a pair of Scarpa Vegas,you can sold it eaby
 Rich Ellis 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Lightweight:
Plastic boots that old can easily break up in use , often at entirely the wrong moment.
Simon_Sheff 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Rich Ellis:
> (In reply to Lightweight)
> Plastic boots that old can easily break up in use , often at entirely the wrong moment.

My mate has a pair he has been using for 20 years that seem bombproof. Mine are 15 years old. I;ve never seen a pair catastrophically break because they are old? I'm sure they will break at some point but they've out lasted several leather boots (which can also break) Can you point me towards some evidence that I should retire my boots?
 ScraggyGoat 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Simon_Sheff:

A series of Koflachs, towards the and of thier production, had a reputation for breaking up. I saw two incidents, in one the whole sole fell off,in teh other the plastic toe box completely disintergrated.

The cause was put down as a combination of a manufacturing fault, UV damage and inappropraite storage.

I've never heard of a pair of vegas dooing the same.............and along will comes the next poster.........
 Joe G 04 Feb 2013
In reply to ScraggyGoat:
> (In reply to Simon_Sheff)

> ....and along will comes the next poster.........

That's what I heard - never heard of Vegas falling apart, just a trail of broken Koflachs...

I hadn't worn my Vegas for years until a wee while back when I "went high" and was very glad to have them - I'd agree with those above: Keep them if you might wander up a high hill or climb somewhere really cold, otherwise surely someone will be very glad to buy them and save a fortune on new boots.
 TobyA 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Joe G:

> That's what I heard - never heard of Vegas falling apart,

My Scarpa Grintas (from about 1990 I think) started to break up at the end of the 90s - BUT in comparison to Koflachs I've seen pics of, it wasn't just the toe that fell off or similar. Little bits of the harder plastic under the ankle cuff broke away, but I was still climbing in them once or twice before I realised where these bits of plastic on my inner boots were coming from! I then had to bite the bullet and go and buy some Vegas. But anyway, if Vegas do break - hopefully it would be in a similar way and you can finish your day's climb at least.
 wbo 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Lightweight: I tihnk it was Viva Softs that shattered
OP Lightweight 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Lightweight:

Someone asked above - they are size 46.
 saffy 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Lightweight: Lots of people use them in tug of war.
 AndyC 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Joe G:
> (In reply to ScraggyGoat)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> That's what I heard - never heard of Vegas falling apart

The problem with old Vegas is the foam insulation in the inner boots degrades - if you squeese the inners you will probably find crunchy patches. New innners can be bought but are not cheap.
 KellyKettle 04 Feb 2013
I'd definately sell them, the design Vega is still being sold for a reason, it's proved exceptionally versatile, near-bombproof (and is now relatively cheap), hence it's survival in spite of being a bit of an archaic, lumbering, juggernaut of a boot.

> The problem with old Vegas is the foam insulation in the inner boots degrades - if you squeese the inners you will probably find crunchy patches. New innners can be bought but are not cheap.

Yep, if you shop around online you can buy discounted Vega HA's for the RRP of the replacment inners...

However, even if the inner is failing, I'd just sell them with a clear description of their condition... No one can claim you acted in bad faith if you're honest and someone will probably still buy them!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...