UKC

What to do with old gear?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fimm 06 Jul 2021

I'm sure this has been asked before, but the Search wasn't being helpful.

We have some old kit that we  no longer use and need to get rid of, including a couple of small tents, a rucksack, and a couple of old-school roll mats. Any suggestions of organisations that might be interested in such things? 

I know Alpkit will take unwanted outdoor clothes, but I have not managed to find anything similar for kit.

MisterPiggy 06 Jul 2021
In reply to fimm:

Your local Scout / Girl Guides troop? D of E groups in your area? Google should find you some telephone numbers.

A nice gesture on your part 😀

In reply to fimm:

Some organisations that work with the homeless and/or rough sleepers used to take that sort of stuff as well as clothes, etc. It’s been a few years since I worked with a homelessness organisation but they probably still do take donations I assume.

We had some permanently homeless who needed tents etc for them to survive.

Another option would be to advertise on the likes of Freegle locally. There is no much that can’t be given away through that I’ve discovered over the years.

Fiona Reid 06 Jul 2021
In reply to fimm:

If you're still Edinburgh based then Venture Scotland certainly used to accept that type of kit. 

Local schools DoE groups may well take it too but the schools are on holidays now so you might have to hang onto the stuff till they return.

The Bethany shops in Edinburgh (in particular, the one near the Dick Vet) took some sleeping bags from us so might be worth asking too?

LastBoyScout 07 Jul 2021
In reply to fimm:

Facebook marketplace or eBay for the tents, maybe the rucksacks.

Otherwise, charity shops - not sure if they'll take tents, though.

Babika 07 Jul 2021
In reply to fimm:

Put it on Ebay for extremely low prices. If you're not out to make money there will always be someone who desperately needs bits but has very little money. 

It always feels good to find a home for stuff. I can't bear things going to landfill. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...