UKC

Whats so good about Nalgene bottles?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 browndog33 29 Sep 2012
As title, genuine question as I've never used one or owned one but am thinking about buying one.
Mark.
 Tall Clare 29 Sep 2012
In reply to browndog33:

Main advantage: big mouth so they're easy to fill from streams etc.
Main disadvantage: big mouth can make for very messy experience when trying to swig from nalgene in moving car.
 Neil Williams 29 Sep 2012
In reply to browndog33:

Dunno, I just use 500ml sports water bottles, refill through the weekend or whatever then recycle at the end and repeat.

Very practical, and if you need to give one to someone else you don't have to worry about getting it back.

Neil
 dale1968 29 Sep 2012
In reply to browndog33: great if your wetter than a weekend in Cleethorpes, you wont ingest harmful chemicals that will mean certain DEATH
 IMA 29 Sep 2012
In reply to browndog33: can take an absolute beating
 gethin_allen 29 Sep 2012
In reply to browndog33:
The main advantage is that they fit in Beckman centrifuge rotors...

and then someone thought they could colour the polycarbonate and flog them to people.

The only benefit I can see to them is that you can pee in them when camping and the weather is too crap to go outside.
cb294 29 Sep 2012
In reply to gethin_allen:

Which is the reason they are so tough. Polycarbonate is a great material for drinking bottles.

CB
 Styx 29 Sep 2012
Wide mouth, indestructable, can be filled with boiling water to use as a hot water bottle at night, etc.

It's just a simple no fuss piece of kit, there's nothing to dislike, frankly.
 earlsdonwhu 29 Sep 2012
In reply to Styx: Nothing to dislike ....apart from the supposed health risks?
 Styx 29 Sep 2012
In reply to earlsdonwhu:
> (In reply to Styx) Nothing to dislike ....apart from the supposed health risks?

I thought they phased out the ones containing BPA?
 Alex Slipchuk 29 Sep 2012
In reply to browndog33: they don't leak and smells can be easily cleaned. Also it is very dangerous and toxic to reuse plastic water bottles.
In reply to browndog33:I have been trying out different bottles for a year. Sounds nerdy but hey, I wanted to see what was best.

1. Swiss bottle.
Like: Rugged, cool colors, says Swiss on the side.
Dislike: Heavy ish, When its freezing your drink freezes and when its warm your drink roasts. Cant see how much I have left to drink. Slow to fill at streams.

2. Nalgene
Like: Rugged, cool colors, huge opening to drink from, huge opening to fill, can put warm or cold liquid in without roasting myself. I can see how much I have left. When your drink freezes its easy to break and drink from still.
Dislike: Heavy ish.

3. Good old tough plastic bottle (coke bottle or best one I have found was the cheap energy drink bottles)
Like: Light as hell, pretty tough, can see how much I have left to drink, cheap to buy, mine lasted a year and I am not dead or poisoned.
Dislike: no cool logos (unless you buy some stickers), takes a lot of cleaning out to get rid of that energy drink taste and smell, slow to fill, can't use hot liquids in it, when its freezing your drink freezes and the bottle can crack.
Do not use crappy water or juice bottles, as the plastic is rubbish they crack and leak over everything especially in the freezing cold and get one with a good screw on lid.

4. Bladders etc.
Like: I don't even need to use my hands to get a drink!
Dislike: everything about them apart from the above.

My advice either buy a Nalgene or use a good old energy drink bottle from your local corner shop (just bought a new one today).
 ebygomm 29 Sep 2012
In reply to browndog33:

Advantage: you can fill them with boiling water and put them in a sock to use a hot water bottle when you're camping in Scotland at New Year.

Advantage: you can fill them with ice when you're going hiking in Utah

Rourke 29 Sep 2012
In reply to ebygomm:

Also add good/ essential in cold conditions as the wide neck means water doesn't freeze as quickly
 Jamie Hageman 29 Sep 2012
In reply to browndog33: This is what I use - http://www.racekit.co.uk/product/raid-light-hydration/raidlight-800ml-bottl...

The main advantage is not having to unscrew anything to have a drink so it's quick and easy. They don't leak either. I've had one for years and it cleans easily too.

The disadvantage is that the mouthpiece can get clogged with ice, in which case you just unscrew the top for a swig.

I used to spill a lot while drinking from Nalgene widemouths so I got a narrow one. In the end I chucked it as the health issues were kicking off in Canada and Australia at the time. I believe now they are BPA free.
 Toerag 29 Sep 2012
In reply to browndog33: I use 500ml fizzy drink bottles as they fit in rucsac pockets better than Nalgene ones, and are cheap/free. If you go to places like Germany & Norway, the majority of fizzy drink bottles are refundable - they are significantly tougher than the ones we get in the UK so are worth bringing home. The big rim around the neck denotes these tougher bottles.
As stated above, you need to use bottles that contained fizzy liquids as they're much tougher than normal water/squash bottles and have better lids. Water bottles with 'teeth pull' lids are a nightmare as they are so easy to open accidentally and leak. Don't even think of using Robinsons squash bottles as the lids are rubbish and pop open if you flex the bottle.
 davegs 29 Sep 2012
In reply to browndog33:

Try one of these in the widemouth bottles, works a treat although a bit expensive.
 Jim Lancs 29 Sep 2012
They have a wide mouth so you can piss in them without missing.

The top seals securely so you can then safely put them back in your sleeping bag and warm your feet.
OP browndog33 29 Sep 2012
In reply to browndog33: Do they go stale in storage??
In reply to browndog33: Nope, leave the lid off to air when not in use.
In reply to themountaintamer: OK will do.
In reply to browndog33: Thanks for all the replies so far, still undecided whether to buy one tho!
M.
 biscuit 29 Sep 2012
In reply to The Big Man:
> (In reply to browndog33) they don't leak and smells can be easily cleaned. Also it is very dangerous and toxic to reuse plastic water bottles.

VERY dangerous ? OMG. I've been using them for years. Maybe that's why i've got womens' breasts and flippers for feet.

Seriously though is it VERY dangerous ? What if a water bottle sits on a shop shelf for a year before being sold? Is it dangerous then ? Genuine question i don't know.

They don't last that long once i've used them so it's not as if they're hanging around for months, maybe a few weeks.

I always kind of assumed it was some spin put out by the water companies not wanting us to re-use their bottles and buy more. It is a bit strange that they are totally safe to buy and use once but then become dangerous. Who would be allowed to sell such a thing ? It only has small writing on it saying do not re-use, no explanation that it is dangerous.

Sorry for the off topic.

FWIW nalgene are great for winter and camping for all the reasons above ( pissing and hot water bottles ). for everything else anything will do really.
 Neil Williams 29 Sep 2012
In reply to The Big Man:

"Also it is very dangerous and toxic to reuse plastic water bottles."

To a point if they are very old, but re-using them a couple of times over a weekend appears not to have caused me any adverse effects at all yet.

Neil
 torquil 29 Sep 2012
In reply to Styx:

>
> I thought they phased out the ones containing BPA?

They did, easy to check as they say BPA free on the bottom/side somewhere, I imagine there are still old ones for sale tho as it wasn't that long ago.
 Aly 29 Sep 2012
In reply to browndog33: As above, big neck doesn't freeze, easy to fill from streams, piss in or put boiling water in.

By far the biggest reason though is that they're easy to fill from a pan once you've melted snow. Try filling a Sigg bottle from a pan without pouring it all over your sleeping bag and you'll realise how hard it is!!
In reply to Aly: Cheers for highlighting the key benefits.
In reply to browndog33:

Nalgene's are grand bits of kit; drop one and it doesn't break or dent (unlike alloy Sigg bottles which dent and this can split the inner anti-corrosion coating leading to a metallic tang); they last for ever, mine is at least 15 years old and has been fairly hammered (although I do draw the line at peeing in it), just don't store liquid in it for more than a day or so if you are worried about contamination. Advantage over a bladder system is that if you sit on your sack you don't get a leaking bite valve, nor is there a long thin tube to freeze up in winter.

You pays yer money and makes yer choice - other indivdual preferences and opinions are available.
 Robert Durran 29 Sep 2012
In reply to browndog33:

Only drawback is plastic strip connecting lid to bottle can break eventually.
 stewieatb 30 Sep 2012
In reply to browndog33:

Indestructible, good in the heat (chuck ice in), good in the cold (can't freeze over like Sigg bottles do), good for pissing in, good for a hot water bottle. You can also wrap a decent length of duct tape around them for emergencies.

I've just retired the one I found at the foot of Trowbarrow and turned it into this: http://amateurcragrat.tumblr.com/post/30545631886 as it wasn't BPA free, and bought a new one. Plus I wanted a water bottle tool kit, just because.
 Carolyn 30 Sep 2012
In reply to biscuit:
>
> Seriously though is it VERY dangerous ? What if a water bottle sits on a shop shelf for a year before being sold? Is it dangerous then ?

No - the bit about not re-using disposable water bottles is urban myth. The plastic they're made from doesn't contain BPA.

There was one study, done with Nalgene bottles, that showed BPA made it into human urine - ie got into water and was absorbed into body. It didn't attempt to show if that was dangerous to adult humans at the dose.

And I'm pretty sure when Sigg changed their internal coating a few years back, they finally admitted the old one contained BPA......

You're doomed, whatever.....

Sharp 30 Sep 2012
In reply to The Big Man:
> Also it is very dangerous and toxic to reuse plastic water bottles.

Can't believe people still believe this, it's like the MMR vaccine debacle - one rogue scientist makes random a claim and it becomes fact regardless of how many studies refute it.

On water bottles, have a look at the Stanley nineteen13 bottles (www.tinyurl.com/9ozb2ra). Best of both sigg and nalgene rolled into one imo. Wide mouth and metal, i.e. actually indestructable, which Nalgenes really aren't, despite what people say. They're 750ml as well which I prefer over a full litre.
Having said that I usually just use a 500ml plastic water bottle when I'm out and about, unless I'm really not bothered about weight/packsize.
 Jim Lancs 30 Sep 2012
In reply to stewieatb: <<I've just retired the one I found at the foot of Trowbarrow . . >>

Ah, that's where it got to! I was also going to add that they're good for collecting your dog shit in so you can take it home and dispose of it responsibly. Well, that's what I used that one for.
 AndyC 30 Sep 2012
In reply to browndog33:

Before taking a flight, I pack breakable and liquid stuff in my nalgenes - electronics, sun-cream, hand wash, energy gels. Unbreakable storage!
 ryan_d 30 Sep 2012
In reply to browndog33: Can get a Karrimor copy in Sports Direct for £3.99 at mo. These have an insert into the wide mouth that allows you to drink without spilling or dribbling. Really found them great when I tried last weekend in lakes. Karabiner on loop that joins lid to bottle then clip onto shoulder straps. Bottle easily accessible but out of the way enough not to annoy when walking.

I used to use bladders but have gone away from this as I like to use an energy supplement in my water, which is not a great idea when using a bladder.

Ryan
 butteredfrog 30 Sep 2012
In reply to browndog33:

Also perfect for winding 3 or 4 M of duct tape round them. The uses for duct tape in the hills is another thread!
 GrahamD 01 Oct 2012
In reply to browndog33:

I think that a Nalgen bottle is like the emperors new clothes. Once you realise that you just paid a fortune for a plastic water bottle, yopu feel compelled to claim magical properties for it rather than admit that they saw you coming !
 ChrisBrooke 01 Oct 2012
In reply to browndog33: As someone said above: a Nalgene bottle is the only sort I've found with a wide enough TA (todger aperture) for late night tent-bound wee-wees
 Ander 01 Oct 2012
In reply to browndog33:

They don't taint.
There aren't any seals to 'break' or fall out.
 Ander 01 Oct 2012
In reply to GrahamD:

I've had cheap copies. And paid the price when they failed.

Admittedly, you will pay a lot for a Nalgene. But you'll only pay it once, and get years of service.
AlunP 01 Oct 2012
In reply to Ander:
> (In reply to GrahamD)
>
> Admittedly, you will pay a lot for a Nalgene. But you'll only pay it once, and get years of service.

I had one which went brittle after just a decade. They don't make things to last anymore.

MG 01 Oct 2012
In reply to GrahamD: Yes - you can get the same from coke bottle for a tenth of the price. And you get the coke to begin with!
 trish1968 01 Oct 2012
In reply to browndog33:
You can use them as hot water bottles they don't leak even at altitude as cheaper brands would.
In reply to Carolyn:

> No - the bit about not re-using disposable water bottles is urban myth

Ah, a bit of sanity at last
 Flinticus 01 Oct 2012
In reply to browndog33:
Best thing about a bladder?
You don't get the sound of water sloshing about, as there will be no air in the pack, whereas you will hear the water in a bottle once you have drunk the first few mouthfulls. Really annoying, as bad as a zipper pull banging on a buckle.
 yer maw 01 Oct 2012
In reply to browndog33: if you have an old one that doesn't say BPA free, can you return it to the shop of purchase minus receipt for an exchange?
 stoned 01 Oct 2012
In reply to browndog33:
an there good for pissin into in cold tents and then make a loverly little hot water bottle,
 Nathan Adam 02 Oct 2012
In reply to browndog33: General consensus seems to be that they are very good, but lack any kind of sport bottle type mouth, unless they have an attachment thing for this already.

I quite like my Sigg bottle, but i'm probably going to get a Nalgene to use when the Sigg isn't so practical !
 shaggypops 02 Oct 2012
In reply to stoned:
> (In reply to browndog33)
> an there good for pissin into in cold tents and then make a loverly little hot water bottle,

Only if you have a wide neck bottle or a small....you know what
 GrahamD 02 Oct 2012
In reply to Nath93:
> (In reply to browndog33) General consensus seems to be that they are very good,

No it isn't, the jury is firmly split between those that think they are the mutts nuts and those that think they are a total waste of beer money and instead chose to pay << £1 for a bottle, which includes the water.
 MG 02 Oct 2012
In reply to GrahamD: More generally it is a triumph of marketing that people actually care so much about their water bottles at all. It's a plastic bottle. That's all. Next people will be selling plastic bags to put a map in for £20 or something. Oh, hang on...
 tlm 02 Oct 2012
In reply to biscuit:

> VERY dangerous ? OMG. I've been using them for years. Maybe that's why i've got womens' breasts and flippers for feet.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/plastic-bottles-cancer.html
 tlm 02 Oct 2012
In reply to MG:
> (In reply to GrahamD) More generally it is a triumph of marketing that people actually care so much about their water bottles at all. It's a plastic bottle. That's all. Next people will be selling plastic bags to put a map in for £20 or something. Oh, hang on...

Or sell plastic bags to put your sarnies in, while giving you free ones whenever you buy fruit and veg!!

Carolyn 02 Oct 2012
In reply to tlm:

That's standard disposable water bottles - Nalgene study is described here:
http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2008/05/undergrads-volunteer-for-nalg...

But I expect we'll all survive!
 Joe G 02 Oct 2012
In reply to MG:
> (In reply to GrahamD) More generally it is a triumph of marketing that people actually care so much about their water bottles at all.

Yep. Never understood it. As for the wide-neck bit, you can get that from a number of bottles in the supermarket that come free with the contents. Unfortunately I couldn't find any last year when in the Greater Ranges, so when up high and the water in the coke bottle in my jacket pocket froze there was nothing for it but to call out to the porters "More Champagne!"
 Bimble 02 Oct 2012
In reply to browndog33:

I did splash out £11 on a Nalgene, but it has lasted me a lot longer than other bottles, Sigg included, is easy to fill up, teaches you to concentrate when drinking in a moving vehicle, and looks good covered in stickers. Does the job for me!
 biscuit 02 Oct 2012
In reply to tlm:
> (In reply to biscuit)
>
> [...]
>
>
> http://www.hoax-slayer.com/plastic-bottles-cancer.html

Well all that tells me is the reason i have womens' breasts and flippers for feet has nothing to do with plastic bottles. I am none the wiser
 Jim Lancs 02 Oct 2012
In reply to GrahamD: << . . . and those that think they are a total waste of beer money and instead chose to pay £1 for a bottle, which includes the water.>>

Anyone who pays £1 for a bottle of water is in no position to criticise anyone else for wasting money. You can get it for practically nothing out of a tap.
 bradholmes 02 Oct 2012
In reply to browndog33: As far as a wide mouthed bottle for widdling into goes, the 1l Oasis bottle does nicely and comes with tasty drink to finish first, for about 2 quid. Map case for 20 quid you say? Bugger that, large zip lock bag from tesco, and it's a damn sight easier to fold and stuff in your jacket.

(There is a reason why I am often mistaken for a homeless person when out on the hill......)
 GrahamD 02 Oct 2012
In reply to Jim Lancs:

In maths, "<<" means "very much less than"

However, its needs must, isn't it ? if you need the bottle you pay the rate, then keep using the bottle.
In reply to browndog33: So half of this argument seems to just be whether it is better to pay £1 every week for a bottle or £10 every decade. To be honest, despite all the cries of marketing genius it seems to me that the Nalgene works out cheaper on that basis. The main reason I bought one was that I wanted to stop paying about £1 for a bottle of drink that ended up being lost/broken/smelling weird after one or two trips. After about 4 months I'm pretty sure the Nalgene has already saved me more money than it cost me.
 Nathan Adam 02 Oct 2012
In reply to GrahamD: Why would you pay for water when you get it for hee haw out the tap ?

Plus the fact that plastic throw aways only last for a few weeks before you get fed up of them and throw them in the bin anyway. You wouldn't throw a nalgene away if you'd paid £X for it.
 GrahamD 02 Oct 2012
In reply to Nath93:

I don't want to pay £1 for water - but it happens (e.g airports or when I've forgotten a bottle)
 GrahamD 02 Oct 2012
In reply to 2PointO:

Why would you pay £1 every week ? once bought the bottle lasts months. I'm not sure how you get your plastic bottles to smell weird or how you think a Nalgene bottle is less susceptable to going mouldy.

Leelogs 02 Oct 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to browndog33)
>
> Main disadvantage: big mouth can make for very messy experience when trying to swig from nalgene in moving car.

This is why we invested in one of these....
http://store.nalgene.com/Easy-Sipper-White-p/2575-1063.htm

Nathan Adam 02 Oct 2012
In reply to GrahamD: Now thats just poor planning..
 Tall Clare 02 Oct 2012
In reply to Leelogs:

Just the thing!
 galpinos 02 Oct 2012
In reply to Leelogs:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
> [...]
>
> This is why we invested in one of these....
> http://store.nalgene.com/Easy-Sipper-White-p/2575-1063.htm

Using one of those is like having stabilisers on your bike. Man up and learn to drink from it without.
richaras 02 Oct 2012
In reply to browndog33: all the chamonix guides use pellegrino bottles
OP browndog33 02 Oct 2012
In reply to browndog33: Um I'm still undecided wheather to buy one!
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to 2PointO)
>
> Why would you pay £1 every week ?

Because at the end of the day I don't care about a cheap plastic bottle and so I forget it and have to buy another, or I break it and have to buy another, or I lose it and instead of actually looking for it properly I go and buy another. I'm not saying this happens to everyone but personally my experience of that type of bottle it that I end up buying a new one every couple of trips, thus making the Nalgene more environmentally and wallet friendly for me.
 bouldery bits 02 Oct 2012
In reply to browndog33:

Just bought one today. Let's see!
 wilkie14c 03 Oct 2012
In reply to browndog33:
I'm pretty much an all rounder. The snob in me still sees the sigg used regulary, I've always had one and have done for over 20 years so its hard to change now. True they can split but I've only had one do that and that was because I'd left it full in the boot of my car for weeks on end during winter, inevitably the water froze and split the bottle. I like the .75 cheap ones from ASDA, obviously smaller and more compact and they are only 2 quid each. I find the Nag a bit bulky and yes very messy to sip from. I have an insert now though so thats sorted. They should come with one fitted really as too there is a market for a decent teeth pull sigg stopper. I like the measuing scale that is printed on the Nags, these help when cooking dehydrated stuff on bivvys but its no biggy to live without it though. I often have my sigg <or cheap copy> in the sack and a half litre placcy bottle in a pocket to drink from while on the move, easy to fill from streams and if its in your pocket and you are more likely to drink when you need to rather than not bother because your bottle is buried in your sack. I like placcy bottles with a 'waist', that is a narrowing in the middle. These fit under a compression sack and wont fall out due to the shape. I'll only ever use orange, blackcurrant, nune tabs etc in placcy bottles as I dont want to taint my sigg or nags. I have 2 half litre Nag copies, Gelert I think. These are great for multi pitch routes where you leave your sack at the bottom, Tremadog etc. You can just clip the loop and carry half a litre on the back of your harness.
Perfect world - Nag bottle material formed into the sigg bottle shape with the measuring scale printed on it and a sports type drinking valve and a carrying/crab loop that costs under a fiver.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...