UKC

When is a rope goosed?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Gordon 19 Apr 2019

I’ve got DMM pitch’s. Used a year. Developed a fluffy bit that looks only cosmetic but there is a bit more squishieness in that cm of rope.

is it gubbed or am I being an old women?

Had DMM 8mm ropes before and both got almost core shots in a single (hard) winter’s season. Bad luck or sign of DMM rope sheath durability?

Replacemt alternative: Got Beal Gully 60m. But Beal opera vs. Ice line (had some years ago) vs Cobras (ditto)??

Post edited at 22:49
 Jon Read 19 Apr 2019
In reply to James Gordon:

What has gender or age got to do with it? 

The bottom line is that you need a new rope when you are starting to question your current rope. 

d_b 19 Apr 2019

Squishy section is more concerning than fuzz IMHO. I have only seen that once, with a rope that had just been hit by rockfall. I chopped and retired it.

tehmarks 19 Apr 2019

Squishy is good reason to suspect core damage. Even if it's fine, are you going to climb at your limit with that question in the back of your mind?

krikoman 19 Apr 2019

Where's the squishy bit, can you cut it out and still have something useable?

Or is it in the middle?

88Dan 21 Apr 2019

Sounds like the sheath is fine but the core has suffered some damage. either cut off the damaged bit or retire the rope. You can't go wrong with a pair of Beal Cobra's too

olddirtydoggy 21 Apr 2019

A rope should feel consistant right down the length. If something inside the rope feels wrong I'd be retiring it. What price do I put on my life?

OP James Gordon 21 Apr 2019
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Chopped ropes so have a 35m pair for cragging. 

Thanks for thoughts. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...