UKC

Which hard shell?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goatee 29 Jul 2020

I fear my Rab Latoc jacket is past it's best. To be honest I have never found it to be particularly waterproof. In snowy cold conditions it is a great jacket but I feel I need to return to Gore Tex to try and cope better with rain. What to get??. Some are silly money, which I could not justify buying. But a durable jacket, suitable for mountaineering and not super heavy is what I am in the market for. I'm hoping to get some  suggestions from the UKC collective. I have no experience of Alpkit jackets ( as well as many other brands) but I have an old Delta tent and I was well impressed. Suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks

Stephen

1philjones1 29 Jul 2020
In reply to goatee:

Magic Mountain currently have the Mountain Equipment Verbier jacket at half price (£125). It may suit what you’re after? Or the Shivling if you want Gore-Tex pro.

Post edited at 18:36
 JB 29 Jul 2020
In reply to goatee:

I bought a Montane Ajax for c £150 which is about £100 less than RRP. It's prob towards the heavier end of the scale as jackets go but v nice fit, great hood and have worn it all day in the rain and emerged more or less dry underneath. It would be tough enough for mountaineering I would say. Prior to that I had an aging Rab event which deteriorated to the point it could only stand about an hour of rain before leaking like a sieve. So the Montane is a great improvement. 

OP goatee 29 Jul 2020
In reply to 1philjones1:

Cheers for that. I will check it out. My budget would be up to double that. Not the silly 5 to 6 hundred of some brands.

Dave the Rave 29 Jul 2020
In reply to goatee:

You can normally get the ME Kongur MRT for sub 350. Got one for 300 and it’s a nice jacket. I paid 300 for a Changabang in 2000 and it lasted 15 years.

Gav_92 30 Jul 2020
In reply to Harry Ellis:

Even at full price its a good value jacket, thats almost theft getting it so cheap

In reply to goatee:

Limpets are getting a bit of discussion. 

EdS 30 Jul 2020
In reply to Dave the Rave:

over priced jacket  ---- heavy, poor breathability and poor fit.

Timmd 31 Jul 2020
In reply to EdS: They wouldn't be a poor fit for everybody?

A relative has one, and it fits him very well, their hood design generally gets commended in reviews...

La benya 31 Jul 2020
In reply to Gav_92:

I have that jacket- its absolutely rubbish. barely waterproof, rubbish hood, lacking in features.  i bought it for more than that and have regretted it every time i use the thing

angry pirate 31 Jul 2020
In reply to 1philjones1:

I have had a Shivling for a few years now and it's been a brilliant jacket in biff weather. I mainly use it for hillwalking (last winter was a bit poo for climbing and when I've climbed in Norway I use a softshell)

In a totally non scientific test, I reckon the goretex pro feels much more breathable than traditional goretex (IIRC Gore claim 30% more).

My concern for winter is the 40dernier fabric but I've yet to rip it. 

I'd buy one again tbh.

Dave the Rave 31 Jul 2020
In reply to EdS:

> over priced jacket  ---- heavy, poor breathability and poor fit.

In your opinion?

The right balance of weight and protection, great fit on me, no breathability issues noticed and a snip at £300 compared to other coats in my opinion. And a proper storm flap.

Schmiken 31 Jul 2020
In reply to goatee:

I managed to pick up a Montane Endurance with Goretex Pro for £270 from Go Outdoors. RRP is £450 and it is fantastic.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...