Loading Notifications...

Which hard shell?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 goatee 29 Jul 2020

I fear my Rab Latoc jacket is past it's best. To be honest I have never found it to be particularly waterproof. In snowy cold conditions it is a great jacket but I feel I need to return to Gore Tex to try and cope better with rain. What to get??. Some are silly money, which I could not justify buying. But a durable jacket, suitable for mountaineering and not super heavy is what I am in the market for. I'm hoping to get some  suggestions from the UKC collective. I have no experience of Alpkit jackets ( as well as many other brands) but I have an old Delta tent and I was well impressed. Suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks

Stephen

1philjones1 29 Jul 2020
In reply to goatee:

Magic Mountain currently have the Mountain Equipment Verbier jacket at half price (£125). It may suit what you’re after? Or the Shivling if you want Gore-Tex pro.

Post edited at 18:36
 JB 29 Jul 2020
In reply to goatee:

I bought a Montane Ajax for c £150 which is about £100 less than RRP. It's prob towards the heavier end of the scale as jackets go but v nice fit, great hood and have worn it all day in the rain and emerged more or less dry underneath. It would be tough enough for mountaineering I would say. Prior to that I had an aging Rab event which deteriorated to the point it could only stand about an hour of rain before leaking like a sieve. So the Montane is a great improvement. 

goatee 29 Jul 2020
In reply to 1philjones1:

Cheers for that. I will check it out. My budget would be up to double that. Not the silly 5 to 6 hundred of some brands.

Harry Ellis 29 Jul 2020
 Dave the Rave 29 Jul 2020
In reply to goatee:

You can normally get the ME Kongur MRT for sub 350. Got one for 300 and it’s a nice jacket. I paid 300 for a Changabang in 2000 and it lasted 15 years.

Gav_92 30 Jul 2020
In reply to Harry Ellis:

Even at full price its a good value jacket, thats almost theft getting it so cheap

dabble 30 Jul 2020
In reply to goatee:

Limpets are getting a bit of discussion. 

EdS 30 Jul 2020
In reply to Dave the Rave:

over priced jacket  ---- heavy, poor breathability and poor fit.

Timmd 31 Jul 2020
In reply to EdS: They wouldn't be a poor fit for everybody?

A relative has one, and it fits him very well, their hood design generally gets commended in reviews...

La benya 31 Jul 2020
In reply to Gav_92:

I have that jacket- its absolutely rubbish. barely waterproof, rubbish hood, lacking in features.  i bought it for more than that and have regretted it every time i use the thing

In reply to 1philjones1:

I have had a Shivling for a few years now and it's been a brilliant jacket in biff weather. I mainly use it for hillwalking (last winter was a bit poo for climbing and when I've climbed in Norway I use a softshell)

In a totally non scientific test, I reckon the goretex pro feels much more breathable than traditional goretex (IIRC Gore claim 30% more).

My concern for winter is the 40dernier fabric but I've yet to rip it. 

I'd buy one again tbh.

meggies 31 Jul 2020
 Dave the Rave 31 Jul 2020
In reply to EdS:

> over priced jacket  ---- heavy, poor breathability and poor fit.

In your opinion?

The right balance of weight and protection, great fit on me, no breathability issues noticed and a snip at £300 compared to other coats in my opinion. And a proper storm flap.

In reply to goatee:

I managed to pick up a Montane Endurance with Goretex Pro for £270 from Go Outdoors. RRP is £450 and it is fantastic.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.