UKC

Which headtorch for night nav etc.?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark Kemball 21 Oct 2017
I have been using a Petzl Myo RXP, which was recommended on my ML training. It was excellent, however it has suddenly stopped working properly. There is an intermittant fault either with the switch or where the wire enters the head set. A little goggling reveals that this is not an uncommon problem. What would folks recommend as an alternative? I'm looking for something as bright, but more rugged and reliable. I don't want a rechargable as I want to be able to carry spare batteries for longer trips.
 spenser 21 Oct 2017
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Hi Mark,
I have a Reactik+, it seems to work pretty well (although I can't always remember how to get it into the reactive mode), it's not quite as good as climbing in daylight but on the two occasions where I have used it while climbing it has worked really well.
Don't discount the rechargeable Petzl headtorches, you can get a removable battery pack for some of them:

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Petzl_Battery_Pack_for_Reactik_and_Reactik_Plus_...

Personally if I'm going on a longer trip I just bring a power bank and the appropriate cables for anything which I might need to charge over the course of the trip with me:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/20000mAh-Portable-Charger-Lightning-Micro-USB/dp/B...
 David Bennett 21 Oct 2017
If your Mayo is less than 3 years old (date of manufacture is mounded in) send it back. Petzl have a great warranty service and will replace it.
 bouldery bits 21 Oct 2017
In reply to David Bennett:

> If your Mayo is less than 3 years old (date of manufacture is mounded in) send it back.

If your mayo is more than 3 years old, it's probably best not to eat it.

OP Mark Kemball 22 Oct 2017
In reply to David Bennett:

Thanks for that info, but I think it's about 4 -5 years old (I can't see the date).
 jezb1 22 Oct 2017

I run ML courses and I'm always impressed with how my LED SEO7 performs against more expensive torches.
 artif 22 Oct 2017

Lupine.
Excellent lights, outstanding customer service.
Had many Petzl torches over the years all but one failed (all too quickly) the only one that still works is sat in a drawer, not used since getting the Lupine 3 years ago
I use it on a daily basis in industrial environment and for cycling, hiking etc.
Only rechargeable unfortunately, but the battery life is excellent, even with the smaller batteries
 Dr.S at work 22 Oct 2017
In reply to artif:

Not cheap mind!

phizz4 22 Oct 2017

Fenix HL55 or the HL60R which is essentially the same light with a built in re-charging facility. Put a 3400Ah battery in it and it will go for ages. Good spread of light, robust (I use one for caving) and a very bright 'high lumens' mode that can melt synthetic surfaces.
 artif 22 Oct 2017
In reply to Dr.S at work:

True, but not as expensive as the pile of Petzl's I have had in the past. I've got some super cheap energizer headtorches that have lasted longer than Petzls more expensive and less featured offerings.
 Toerag 22 Oct 2017
In reply to jezb1:

> I run ML courses and I'm always impressed with how my LED SEO7 performs against more expensive torches.

I picked one up recently when I lost my H7R and they stockist didn't have any H7s - I'm impressed with mine too. LED lenser offer excellent lumens for the buck, and the SE07 eliminates the weakness I had with my H7s - the wire joining the battery pack to the light.
To the OP - it has a red LED for not losing your night vision, but be aware that that might make some things (like contour lines?) invisible on maps.
 planetmarshall 22 Oct 2017

Would recommend one with a rear battery pack if you're running. I switched my BD Storm for a Sprinter and made a big difference.
 gerrardo 27 Oct 2017

Black Diamond Storm is what I use and it really is the bees knees
 Ridge 27 Oct 2017
In reply to Toerag:

IIRC green LEDs are the preferred option for map reading at night, as it prevents contours being masked by the red light.
 jezb1 27 Oct 2017
In reply to Ridge:

To be honest, using a normal dimmed beam seems like the easiest option. I do a fair bit of night nav and can't say I've ever had an issue with not using red / green / blue.
OP Mark Kemball 08 Nov 2017
Thanks for all the advice, I ended up getting a Black Diamond Storm 350L - it certainly seems to be just the job - I'll have to see how it does over time...
Post edited at 09:50
 Andy Hardy 08 Nov 2017
In reply to phizz4:

> Fenix HL55 or the HL60R which is essentially the same light with a built in re-charging facility. Put a 3400Ah battery in it and it will go for ages. [...]

Not surprised, my van only has a 100Ah leisure battery!
 phizz4 10 Nov 2017

Oops, missed the 'm' out, sorry.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...