UKC

Which insulating jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Merlin21 29 Aug 2014
I need your help, all opinions are greatly received.

I'm looking for a new insulating jacket, preferably synthetic as I'm always worried down will get wet in the UK. I've had a Mountain Equipment Classic Lightline jacket in the past and found this beyond my needs. Equally I've had the Mountain Equipment Compressor Jacket and found that it wasn't warm enough.

I'm looking at the Rab Strata and Xenon X Hoodie, and any other suggestions would be great. I will mainly be wearing it for casual use in the UK and some late autumn/ early spring mountain use in Wales and the Lakes.

Let me know what you would recommend
 Bloodfire 29 Aug 2014
In reply to Merlin21:
I have Rab summit for winter stuff so real down there. I've also recently bought a Mountain Hardwear synthetic 'Thermostatic' jacket which was on sale for around £50 in Cotswolds. The problem is, it seems to be taking over my whole wardrobe; not spacewise, it just seems to fit every occation. My wife even things it looks really smart too (the logo is black on black). It's replacing my fleeces, my jumpers and my jackets and is my garment of choice whether out climbing or shopping. Top piece of kit. I haven't tested it in the sub ten degrees range yet so cannot comment on lower temperature warmth, and didn't get the hooded version, though one is available I believe.
Post edited at 12:23
G0rdrilla 29 Aug 2014
In reply to Merlin21:

Lowe Alpine Glacier Point. Mine has never let me down yet. I love the fit of it, the hood is large but snug and it has some amount of water repellency to it that has stood up well to snow, showers and a mug of coffee down the front! They're quite cheap for the comfort and quality I think it offers (Reduced from a hundred and something pounds to about £60-£70 in Gooutdoors I think). I can compress mine to the size of a Nalgene bottle with the aid of a Podsacs compression bag and they also look good in a casual sense. The insulation is synthetic too. Hope this helps!
G0rdrilla 29 Aug 2014
In reply to Merlin21:

I should have added that I've worn the Glacier Point in subzero temperatures and I've been warm and toasty in it but anything 10C+ and you'll probably be too warm knocking about in it.
G0rdrilla 29 Aug 2014
In reply to Merlin21:

The reviews are highly rated on Gooutdoors too:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/lowe-alpine-glacier-point-mens-insulated-jacket...
In reply to Merlin21:

Decathlon do a Simond jacket that has attracted positive comments on UKC

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=570058&v=1

As is often the case, you cannot navigate to it on Decathlon's hopeless website (you can if you're looking for the women's version), but it's here:

www.decathlon.co.uk/alpinism-warm-mens-jacket-id_8271763.html

Otherwise, pick any one of dozens of offerings that has fill weight and features you're looking for... Plenty of threads on 'insulated jackets' or 'belay jackets' if you search UKC.
Merlin21 29 Aug 2014
Thanks for the all the comments, really helpful so far. Has anyone had any experience with how warm the Rab Strata Hoodie is? I keep seeing a lot of reviews on how breathable it is but nothing about how warm it is.

In reply to Merlin21:
The Black Diamond stuff is pretty awesome, and a lot of it is on sale to clear before the new season colours come in
Post edited at 20:10
 BnB 29 Aug 2014
In reply to Merlin21:
I have the Strata and I wouldn't recommend it if warmth is your main criterion. It is, on the other hand, my single fsvourite item of outdoor clothing because it is so versatile. The Xenon would be warmer for similar weight but you simply can't be active in a Primaloft 1 jacket like you can with the Alpha insulation. Moving about: Strata. For the belay: Xenon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...