UKC

Which jacket fot wet & cold

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 22 Oct 2012
Hi. Looking for reocmmendations for a waterproof hard shell type jacket but with some insulating qualities. My current hardshell is just wind & water proof with warmth dependant on what else I am wearing.

Any idea? Think cold Scottish winter day with strong winds, hard rain below say 500m, snow above.
Shearwater 22 Oct 2012
Just layer. Get a decent fleece or two, and you're good to go. It is cheaper, it is more versatile as you can use the layers independently, it is easier and quicker to dry, etc. It'll be more breathable by way of a bonus.

Insulated and waterproof shells are expensive and often as not are too warm on the move unless you're somewhere pretty baltic.
 UKH Forums 22 Oct 2012
This thread was started in the HILLTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Climbing Gear - Post all your climbing gear-related questions here. You know how you love comparing Friends with Camalots!

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
Shearwater 22 Oct 2012
And whilst I think of it, this is related: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=523815
 Monk 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

How about Paramo? I'm not convinced that it is as wateproof as Goretex or Event, but it seems to work reasonably well and is definitely warmer than a standard shell. Mine is much too warm for me when the temperature gets into double figures though.

To be honest though, I would probably go for some sort of windproof warm layer with a gore-tex or event jacket on top most of the time.
 Only a hill 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Shearwater:
> Just layer. Get a decent fleece or two, and you're good to go. It is cheaper, it is more versatile as you can use the layers independently, it is easier and quicker to dry, etc. It'll be more breathable by way of a bonus.
>
> Insulated and waterproof shells are expensive and often as not are too warm on the move unless you're somewhere pretty baltic.

Spot on, this is my experience too. Everyone's different I guess though, and a few years ago my brother had an insulated waterproof jacket he quite liked ... I would simply overheat and explode though!
 tlm 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

Yeah - I would agree. When walking uphill, you often only need your baselayer and waterproof - anything more and you will overheat. But when you stop, you then want more warmth. You don't want to have to take multiple waterproofs up the hill with you, so just layer.
OP Flinticus 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Flinticus:
I know all the arguments re layering: its what I've been doing to date.

Still, however, I'd like to look into the option of an insulated waterproof. Not looking for one that's heavily insulated, however, and to be kept for those really cold days where you are wearing more than just a baselayer & hardshell even going uphill.
Shearwater 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Flinticus:
> Still, however, I'd like to look into the option of an insulated waterproof.

Interestingly, there don't seem to be many about that are aimed at the hiking/climbing sort of market. Presumably the people most likely to buy this sort of stuff are skiiers and snowboarders, and that suggests to me that you'll have to pay over the odds.

Looks like Berghaus do something cheap (the RG insulated jacket) and Mountain Equipment do something heavy (the Pamir) and Crux do something bloody expensive (the Plasma). Rab used to do something that would have suited you (the Rogue) but the line seems to have been terminated and everywhere seems out of stock, now. Shame... seemed like a nice bit of kit when I looked at it last season.

There's also weirder stuff like the Montane Resolute, but that's probably too warm and insufficiently waterproof for you.
 TobyA 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Flinticus:
> and to be kept for those really cold days where you are wearing more than just a baselayer & hardshell even going uphill.

Well when its really cold you can wear a fleece with a windproof layer of some sort. When its -25 I'm still quite happy in base layer, micro fleece an softshell - so I'm not quite sure how cold you are thinking? Moving in any sort of insulated jackets normally means getting sweaty sooner of later even in really rather cold temps.

Siward 23 Oct 2012
In reply to Shearwater:
I think cheap, insulated waterproofs are best found in TKMaxx. Usually plenty of Ski oriented (largely hideous looking!) jackets which would fit the bill, often cheap.
In reply to TobyA: Thats pretty amazing.

I have sat for 2 hours watching football in the winter and I am freezing cold in a base layer, fleece, patagonia puff gilet and TNF polar jacket!

I guess it comes down to how active you are being (the lads on the pitch were ok in shorts I guess
 Timmd 23 Oct 2012
In reply to Flinticuson't want to rain/snow on your parade, but my dad was really pleased when his insulated waterproof got stolen, it kept being too hot for him in Scottish winters.

If I could reccomend one I would do though, but i've never used one or been in Scottish winters. Hope you find helpfull people. ()

TobyA 23 Oct 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers: Sorry - yes, I was meaning when on the move like the chap was saying. "walking uphill" I think he said. Once you're not moving, then its "serious coat" time! http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=4444

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...