UKC

Which rucksack ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 farmer 26 Feb 2013
I need a large rucksack for ski touring 35-45 litres, and summer alpine climbing.Which should I look at? .
ps I am 6'2 long back!
 Jack Finney 26 Feb 2013
In reply to farmer:

I'm the same height as you. I have one of these for sale if interested? Should fit the bill.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=906
 GrahamD 26 Feb 2013
In reply to farmer:

Its hard to say. Personally I'd advise going to somewhere with a decent stock and trying them for size. They definately vary in fit.

Whan I was last in the market umpteen years ago I had my mind set on a Pod sac as my mate had one and it looked good but ended up with a MacPac pursuit because when I tried them on the MacPac fitted me best.
 Blizzard 26 Feb 2013
In reply to farmer

Pod Black Ice. Hands down outright winner.
 GridNorth 26 Feb 2013
In reply to farmer: Pod sacks are very good, if a little expensive, but Deuter and Millet are also worth considering. As GrahamD says it's all about the fit. I have a very lightweight sack, a 35 litre OMM Jirishanka, it is superb but the flimsy shoulder straps let it down when the load is heavy. I also have a 40 litre Lowe Alpine that zips down to 20 litres which can be handy in some situations but by far the best sack I own is a Deuter Guide 45+. It's not the lightest of sacks but it carries the load better than any other sack that I have owned and therefore it feels lighter overall.
 John_Hat 26 Feb 2013
In reply to farmer:

Echo the comments about fit is everything. The world's best pack is as much use as a chocolate teapot if it doesn't fit you. However a cheap pack may be perfect. Each manufacturer sets their packs up slightly differently.

Go somewhere like Go Outdoors, and spend a reasonable amount of time trying things on - they usually have weights there specifically for weighting packs when trying on.

We spent a couple of hours getting Lady Blue a pack recently, and after trying a number on, none of them quite worked or sat right regardless of how we messed with the adjustments. Then we tried another and it fitted perfectly. Wasn't the most expensive or the best or biggest, but it was the right one.

It's not like we had a budget either. Basically the idea was "best fit, money no object" (Though if it had gone over £300 I might have winced). Ended up spending £95.
 Nordie_matt 26 Feb 2013
In reply to farmer:

I'm 6'1 and love my Podsac's Alpine 40, can't fault it at all, bomb proof, well designed and functional. It can also be stripped down quite a bit if you are desperate to save on weight.

I wont need to replace it for years, but when the time comes I'll be looking for a Podsac again.
 galpinos 26 Feb 2013
In reply to farmer:

I've an Osprey Mutant (38 I think, the big one of the two) that works for everything.

I had my heart set on a BD Speed or Epic but they weere both, for me, the most unconfrotable things I'd ever put on my back.
 soularch 26 Feb 2013
In reply to galpinos: Similar experience to galpinos. Mutant 38 is a cracking pack.
 aldo56 26 Feb 2013
In reply to farmer: Crux Ak37 or a Blue Ice Warthog?
OP farmer 26 Feb 2013
In reply to farmer: Thanks for all the ideas-I am concerned about getting a good fit and will try plenty!.Having only ever done short ski tours with a small sack ,I will be looking for a sack which will not hinder my skiing too much!!.Thanks again.
 edinburgh_man 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

For Ski touring??? What are you carrying?

The Pod Sacs Black Ice is a good multi day alpine pack - but it is WAY too huge for single day or multi day hut to hut ski touring.

I'd probably look at one of the Blue Ice packs.
 Thrudge 26 Feb 2013
In reply to farmer:
Or this:

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_int.nsf/0/06661DEA655EB2DAC12...

Designed by skiers and mountain rescue bods, don'tcha know.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...