UKC

which sleeping bag for a big bloke?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dom Whillans 10 Feb 2013
I'm in the market for a summer weight bag - something that packs down small and lightweight. Being a bloke with a 42" chest and big arms, every sleeping bag i've tried recently that sells itself as "lightweight" is kind of too small for me to sleep in comfortably (ie. with my arms bent and with my hands near my chin). Are there any bags on the market that are bigger in the chest area than others?
 HarryB 10 Feb 2013
In reply to Dom Whillans:

PHD do bags for different chest sizes but they're expensive!

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/customsleepingbags.php
 thin bob 10 Feb 2013
I have a Kathmandu XXL bag that is about 6'6" tall and mighty wide. it's quite old & I'm not sure they're top-notch, but might be worth a butchers. HTH.
In reply to Dom Whillans: these guys are going to be releasing a large bag fairly soon from what ive heard

www.h18orr.com
OP Dom Whillans 10 Feb 2013
cheers... the PHD ones might be a bit pricey for me!
needvert 10 Feb 2013

supertopo has a sleeping bag comparison, I recall one make could fit two girls inside, had some sort of stretchy fabric.
 iksander 10 Feb 2013
In reply to needvert: ME and Rab do XL bags
 sbc_10 10 Feb 2013
In reply to needvert:
> (In reply to Dom Whillans)

> I recall one make could fit two girls inside, had some sort of stretchy fabric.

oo-err, I can see this thread taking an oblique tangent.....

I never had much success with bags zipped together for communal warmth. Tends to end up with a battle of invading cold feet fighting for the warmer bag.

Reach>Talent 11 Feb 2013
Have you had a look at North Ridge(?) or whatever Go Outdoors own brand is? I was slightly shocked to discover that I can get into their sleeping bags and I'm not exactly small (I think their 4 season synthetic must be about 7 foot long!). Obviously not Rab quality but better than a poke in the eye.
 Dauphin 11 Feb 2013

Western Mountaineering. Great bags, they do a UL one that I get into no problem 44 chest 5' 11".

D
 SFM 14 Feb 2013

I have a Marmot Wave 1 bag that I use as an over bag. It's way to big for me except on the warmest nights. Might be worth a look at them.
 TobyA 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Dom Whillans: I'm reviewing a Mountain Equipment bag for UKC currently. They sent me the regular but at first I thought it might be a large. I laid it out with the Marmot and Sea to Summit bags I have and noticed it must be at least 10 cms longer than the marmot and 20 longer the S2S bag! It's designed for climbers, so I think they've considered people using it sitting up and wearing clothes inside - as it's more spacious inside as well as longer. It's in their new Extreme range, so may well be worth checking those out.
 CarolineMc 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Dom Whillans: there was a thread about this recently... look at the snugpak bags. They chrysalis range have an extender panel to make them more roomy. Really good quality bags too. Co:

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...