UKC

NEW REVIEW: Wild Country Proton Quickdraw

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 30 Sep 2014
WC Montage Quickdraws, 4 kbBritish Mountain Guide Tim Neill tests out the new Wild Country proton Quickdraws.

"The slings are chunky and robust allowing for stretching the draw into reachy clips as well as being easy to grab (and more importantly easier to hold onto) if the pump takes control. They also look reassuringly solid from above inspiring even the most over imaginative minds to push on rather than ponder any negative doubts!"

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=6369

PPP 01 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

A bit pricey, huh?
In reply to PPP:

It's not that which puts me off, it's Wild Country's jargon overload that makes me turn away and think "No thanks". Someone over there needs a lesson in effective communication!
 flaneur 01 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

Thanks for the review. These look good.

Two questions:

Where are they made?

How compatible are they with clipsticks?
 mattrm 01 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:
I'm probably being blind, but does it say on WC's website what the gate open strength is? Cause I can't find it.
Post edited at 10:33
 Stevie989 01 Oct 2014
In reply to mattrm:

7kn - If whats stamped on the ones in the video is right.
 Rick Graham 01 Oct 2014
In reply to Stevie989:

looks like 8 or 9 on the photo
 Alpenglow 01 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

Does anyone know the weight of these?
 Reach>Talent 01 Oct 2014
In reply to mattrm:
I'm probably being blind, but does it say on WC's website what the gate open strength is? Cause I can't find it.

From the video (about 13 seconds in):
24KN Normal loading
7KN Cross loaded
9KN Open gate

Wild Country 01 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

Dear All,
thanks for comments, and apologies, there was indeed a 'snafu' with the webpage which meant the stats weren't showing - they are now.
So for everyone:
24KN Gate Closed, 9KN Gate open, 7KN Cross Gate.
Weight: Biner 48/9 Grams Bent/Straight. Quickdraw: 116gms for the 12cm. You can see full stats here:
http://www.wildcountry.com/products/karabiners/proton-karabiner/#tab-2

Some replies to the comments:
PPP: Yes. maybe they seem pricey but, as the review implies, worth it - as did the review by Keith Sharples in Climber in July issue 'Wild Country may very well have knocked the ball out of the park with the Proton'.
And with hot forged gates needed to create the special curve on the bent they cost a lot to make. And are very similarly priced to other biners of this style.
Flaneur - Biners made in China, slings are sewn in the Uk and the QD's are built in the UK. We put some relief in to the straight gate which should mean they fit most clipsticks fine. I've only used them with one (not sure which as it wasn't mine) and it worked fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...