UKC

Wild Country Rocks recall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Kelly 07 Nov 2013
I have 1/2 dozen rocks affected by the recall

It's a big chunk of my rack and as this is peak of the slime climbing season i am very reluctant to part with them

has anyone any experience of the returns process and how long it takes

Thanks
John
crisp 07 Nov 2013
In reply to John Kelly:
I sent mine back over three weeks ago and I am awaiting my replacements.
OP John Kelly 07 Nov 2013
In reply to crisp: that's not great - i could go seven days max
 BenedictIEP 07 Nov 2013
In reply to John Kelly: No chance, they're having to produce extra batches to cover the increased demand.

I suggest you beg/steal/borrow from a friend, or try and get a set of classic rocks cheap somewhere in the meantime.
In reply to BenedictIEP:
tried to pick up a rock five online this week but they seem to be unavailable due to the recall - didn't quite get it
 JIMBO 07 Nov 2013
In reply to John Kelly: or... buy DMM wallnuts!
In reply to JIMBO:

while i love dmm biners i have an irrational hatred of their wallnuts
might treat myself to some bd stoppers
john
 CurlyStevo 08 Nov 2013
In reply to BenedictIEP:
AFAIK the classic rocks are also effected by the recall.
 Steve nevers 08 Nov 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to BenedictIEP)
> AFAIK the classic rocks are also effected by the recall.

Yup they are. majority of Rocks produced since Jan 2010 have been recalled. Production has (afaik) been shifted back to the UK and they are having to manufacture enough to replace those effected by recall and also to restock their lines.

Its an inconvenience granted, but not as inconvenient as broken ankles/legs/spine.
 andrewmc 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Steve nevers:
> [...]Production has (afaik) been shifted back to the UK

Does that mean shifted back to DMM, or are they making them themselves somewhere?
 Steve nevers 08 Nov 2013
In reply to andrewmcleod:
> (In reply to Steve nevers)
> [...]
>
> Does that mean shifted back to DMM, or are they making them themselves somewhere?

DMM aren't making them, but fairly sure i saw a comment from WC saying they have moved their own production back to UK.

jwa 09 Nov 2013
Tideswell in Derbyshire I think.
 MischaHY 09 Nov 2013
In reply to John Kelly: I've still not sent mine off due to that exact conundrum. I'm sorely tempted to buy another set of wires from a different brand then sell the rocks when I get them back, or keep as a second set. I'm not too fussed about using mine atm though as I've taken several falls on them without issue.
OP John Kelly 09 Nov 2013
In reply to MischaHY:

snap -looking at BD stoppers

I've identified the rocks with 'the braking strain of damp tissue'and i have taped them up so i have a choice to go with a good un or not depending on situation
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 09 Nov 2013
In reply to MischaHY:
> I'm not too fussed about using mine atm though as I've taken several falls on them without issue.

Darwinism in action?

Chris
 mrdigitaljedi 09 Nov 2013
In reply to John Kelly: its gonna take awhile 2 replace the affected wires as over 17.000 have been recalled, that doesnt include shop returns, the other problem is that the wires being recalled were made in china, WC are now making them in UK.
 squirrel00 09 Nov 2013
In reply to John Kelly: sent mine off oct 10th recieved a email oct 21 to say they have been recieved but nothing else think it will be around the new yr before i get new ones sent out, good job the weather has been s***e
OP John Kelly 09 Nov 2013
In reply to John Kelly:

thanks for all the info
I'm going to hanging on to them for now and start looking around for some alternatives
 Muel 09 Nov 2013
In reply to John Kelly:

My girlfriend has a set, we've not bothered returning them yet as they were quoting a 6 week turn around shortly after the recall was issued.
 KTC 10 Nov 2013
In reply to Muel: I sent mine in the day of the recall. Apart from a couple of positive emails (which they later corrected) I've not had anything in the post. :sadface:
 scoth 10 Nov 2013
In reply to KTC: I would have thought by now they would be able to propose a timescale for return. Knowing that would subdue my growing frustration with WC.
 CurlyStevo 11 Nov 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> (In reply to MischaHY)
> [...]
>
> Darwinism in action?
>
>
> Chris

Given the failure rate is very low and most the nuts failed over 7kn I suspect the rock failing is still much more likely than the nuts that were recalled. Also in the field as far as we are aware only 1 WC nut actually failed due to a fall.

That said I sent mine back
OP John Kelly 12 Nov 2013
In reply to John Kelly: - from wild country

Wild Country Rocks Recall – Update: 12 Nov 2013

Home/Community/Latest News
Latest News
12th Nov 2013
Wild Country Rocks Recall – Update: 12 Nov 2013

It is one month since Wild Country took the decision to recall certain batches of Classic and Anodised Rocks due to a very small number of units not making their rated strength. Since then we have had an amazing response from our customers with returns registered on the recall database in over 20 countries. We are pleased to say that despite the obvious inconvenience the overwhelming majority of feedback has been positive and we would like to thank everybody for their support and patience. We are acutely aware it is extremely frustrating to be without the Rocks that you have returned to us and we are working as quickly as possible to send out replacements.

Managing Director, Martin Atkinson is personally co-ordinating the recall and has issued the following statement to summarise the current situation regarding replacement product:
“As described in the recall notice we have set up a complete new production line to deal with the manufacture of the replacements at our factory in the Peak District. Due to this change in production location there has to be a re-issuing of the CE certificate for Rocks before we can release products in the EU. The type-examination (product testing) has been successfully conducted and the documentation concerning the assessment of conformity (production processes) is now being reviewed by the Notified Body responsible for this assessment process under the EU regulations concerning PPE (personal protective equipment). This means the re-issuing of the certificate is imminent and at this point we will be able to start release of product into the UK. In the meantime we have made some deliveries to the “far-flung corners of the world” and given the distances involved these customers should be receiving their replacement at about the same time as those in the UK.
As I said before we appreciate the frustration of being without your equipment and would like to thank you for your patience and understanding.”

As ever if you have any questions you can get in touch with us at: recall@wildcountry.com

If you were unaware of this recall and have any Rocks which you think may be involved in the recall you can go to our recall page to find out more: http://bit.ly/GCt0sr

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...