UKC

Wild Country Trisar tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mark Miller 13 Jan 2008
Hi again guys and girls, after trying to no avail to purchase a Wild Country Q2 tent, i think i may have found an alternative. The wild country Trisar,does anyone have personal experience of this tent?

Thanks

M
Parsley Briscoe 13 Jan 2008
In reply to Mark Miller:

The quasar only weighs a bit more and has two entrances (Easier when cooking)

In my experience a Trisar will stand up in the same conditions as a quasar, so very good really.

Easy to erect, quite roomy.

I'd still go for the quasar though

Parsley

grumsta 13 Jan 2008
In reply to Mark Miller:

I have a Wild Country Trisar and its great imo though I have only really used it for wild camping and campsites - not mountaineering or whatever. It feels pretty light and is dead easy to set up. Have been fairly battered by wind and rain in it before but it never felt like it was going to collapse or get me wet.
 Adam Long 13 Jan 2008
In reply to Mark Miller:

Mine's done fifteen years and is only now being retired as the zips don't work. Quite a bit lighter than a quasar, enough to make it a viable one-man tent, seemingly without sacrificing much stablity. Have tested in some pretty severe Patagonian and hebridean storms. If you don't need the extra room and entrance on the quasar you'll not regret the choice.
 Guy Hurst 13 Jan 2008
In reply to Adam L: The latest version of the Trisar - branded Wild Country, I think - is a bit heavier than the old Terra Nova one, which was one of the best tents of its time IMO. Its only problem was it didn't shed snow very well, but then it wasn't designed to be a mountaineering tent like the Quasar. The new Trisar is more a budget tent, and the materials might not be as good. On the other hand it's much cheaper than the Quasar.
 SFM 14 Jan 2008
In reply to Mark Miller:

I have a TN ultra Trisar which is still going strong. Fantastic tent! The WC version seems to be just as good, even if a wee bit heavier. It's a roomy single and fine for two if you aren't both giants.
The one thing that does bug me is the inner up first design...if, as I was at the weekend, try to put up the tent in strong winds then it's a right pain getting the flysheet to stay put if you are on your own. If you can then have a look at tents that go up inner and outer together. The one that springs to mind is the Macpac Minaret but I don't know what your uses/budget are.

cheapest I've found it online...no idea about the shop though
http://www.wildtrak.com/product.asp?ID=445
48IDA 14 Jan 2008
In reply to SFM:

I have an old Terra Nova Trisar, brilliant bit of kit for wild camping, and great value for money as a Wild COuntry tent imo.
paul havill 14 Jan 2008
In reply to Mark Miller:

Hi Mark

Yes i bought a Trisar 3 years ago and took it to Scotland with me last December where it stood up to 80mph winds and 2 ft of snow.

a friend of mine has just replaced his after 25yrs too...

I LOVE IT

i also have a Mountain Hardwear Trangop Assault which is a 4 season tent but love the Trisar as its really easy to put up - 3 poles and your up, very light weight especially if your going out on your own as i did or with a mate, and really practicle

the only conderations i would point out is that it has one door, i wouldnt want to use it for long periods - more than a week with 2 and storage if you have lots of gear is a bit sparse.

an idea you may one to take up who you buy one is to sow flourescent tags on the pole / tent peg loops for night use as it makes it easier to find them at night.

in comparison to the Quaser its cheaper, lighter, and a little but not much quicker to put up in high winds / low vis.

the other tent you may want to have a look at is the Tadpole which has some really nice feature, and will stand upto alot as well

Happy camping
pangolin 18 Jan 2008
In reply to Mark Miller:

My Trisar is 16 years old and is still going strong - it stood up to strong winds in North Wales at the end of October last year. A few years ago two of us shared it on a month-long cycle tour of Iceland and it survived some pretty extreme conditions there. One night there were gusts of wind that would flatten half the length of the tent on top of us before it sprang back into shape. A few years later I broke a pole through my own stupidity but was able to order a replacement one no problem. There's plenty of space for two but probably more suitable as a 1-person tent if using it for a few days. Good compromise between weight and space.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...