UKC

winter mountain boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveH70 18 Mar 2013
Hi all

I'm looking for a pair of boots for Scottish winter climbing and after some advice. I used to have some Asolo plastics and found them ok but there seems to be so many different types round these days it's all a little confusing! I want a pair to do it all I guess, mixed routes, bit of ice and just long days in the mountains. I know this may be stating the obvious but I want them warm as I do get cold feet! I'll be hunting ebay and the sales forum on here for a pair so any info on what to look out for regarding sizing would be a lot of help.

cheers
 matt pigden 18 Mar 2013
In reply to DaveH70: Hi Dave, as everyone on here will say, it's what fit's your feet that's most important, but personally I'm really happy with my LaSportiva Nepal Extremes. It seems that 90% of climbers I see on the Ben also have these boots or the newer Nepal Evo's which are a bit lighter and a bit warmer but a bit more expensive too. Hope this helps
OP DaveH70 18 Mar 2013
In reply to matt pigden:
I've seen the LaSportiva boots and they do seen to fit the bill. One thing I've read a couple of times is about the fit of them, do they run to normal street shoe sizes, i.e. I'm a 10 so should a 10 in them fit?
 The Patriot 18 Mar 2013
In reply to DaveH70: have a look at scarpa phantom 6000. Just a fantastic fitting light boot.
Regards.
 Cameron94 18 Mar 2013
In reply to DaveH70: Scarpa phantom guide for me.

I'll echo the advice above though. Go to a shop and try several on and pick the best fitting pair, boots are one thing you don't want to scrimp on as they can really make or break your day. If you speak to the shop assistant and explain that you maybe can't afford the full price then they'll generally knock a bit off for you, after all any sale is better than no sale.

ice.solo 18 Mar 2013
In reply to DaveH70:

agree with those 2 above who recommend boots with integrated gaiters. several companies doing them these days so not hard to find a decent fit.
 Nathan Adam 18 Mar 2013
In reply to DaveH70: If the Nepal Evo fits your foot then you won't go far wrong. Really class boot and you get your moneys worth !
OP DaveH70 19 Mar 2013
In reply to Nath93:
I've heard that said about LaSportiva boots "if they fit your foot" or "if you have Sportiva feet!" Is it just a case of them having a very different fitting or are they sized weirdly?
 Stash 19 Mar 2013
In reply to DaveH70:

same with any boot, "if it fits your foot"
 Nathan Adam 20 Mar 2013
In reply to DaveH70: Yep, its a case of finding what fits, Scarpa hurt my feet, but then again so do the Nepals after a long while in them, but not on the same scale as the Scarpa.

Get yourself to a decent boot retailer that can measure your feet up and get you to try on as many boots as possible. I was just lucky with getting a good fit in the Nepal Evo.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...