UKC

Winter rucksac advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oscar 19 Sep 2011
Im looking to buy a rucksac suitable for winter use.
Needs to be durable, large enough for the extra gear etc, but not too heavy.
Any thoughts. Thanks
 Sheffield Sam 19 Sep 2011
I'm in the same boat as you, my current thoughts are either Crux AK47 or an Osprey Mutant either 28ltr or the 35ltr version. I'm leaning towards the Crux, looks like it has less bell and whistles!

Sam
 earlsdonwhu 19 Sep 2011
In reply to Ken S: Aiguille Alpine stuff is well made with clean lines and without lots of useless bits that add weight but don't enhance performance. I have a Cirrus and Zephyr.

Also it is UK made!
OP Oscar 19 Sep 2011
In reply to Ken S: How does the Aiguille Alpine compare say to a Karrimor Alpineste 45+10. Thanks
 wilkie14c 19 Sep 2011
In reply to Ken S:
I use a Dueter guide 35+ and it is fairly bombproof, it has all the little things that make a difference - removeable hip belt, 2 zipper pockets, key keeper, gear loops etc. I've just got back from the alps and dueter seemed to be a big hitter with the continentals. We looked at some models of deuter and salewa sacks in a shop and they were impressive. Very light but maybe thats why they aren't so big over here as they may not be upto a scotish winter! I'm looking to change again this winter as my dueter is heavy. The Osprey variant is ticking a few boxes and I hear good things about crux too
 Siward 20 Sep 2011
In reply to Ken S: I have had an Aiguille 'Triolet' for years now. A great sack, simple one compartment design (plus lid pocket), tough, light enough and quality materials throughout.

What you see is what you get- no fancy extras. I recommend it.

The size is big enough for winter and for summer backpacking. I tend not to use any other sacks any more.
 Hat Dude 20 Sep 2011
In reply to Ken S:

I intend to buy an Aiguille Alpine sack as soon as funds allow and have contacted them with a couple of queries.
They've been very helpful i.e. I want a sack with an extendable lid and it wasn't clear if the model I was interested in had one. I asked & the answer was "No it doesn't but if you want we can make it to order." (at a very small extra cost).
They also said that customers generally report that their sacks are generously sized.

Don't know if this helps but I just like to support companies with this attitude.
 PeterM 20 Sep 2011
In reply to Ken S:

Psst...POD Black Ice..'nuff said..can't believe it hasn't been mentioned. It's always POD, Aiguille,Crux, and the OSprey, and sometimes a Macpac Pursuit.
 George Fisher 20 Sep 2011
In reply to Ken S:

I have a Aiguille Alpine Cirrus (33l) seems slightly bigger to me. I have it made without ice axe loops and longer side straps and no extra cost. I really like it, very comfortable, 700g, no silly extra bits to get in the way.

Not used in winter yet but I've had a dry run and I can get all the stuff I think i'll need in it.

It wasn't expensive either £65 I think.
ezbee 20 Sep 2011
In reply to Ken S: hey ken ive got a unused pod, black ice, red, for sale if u want it-75 quid, including post.size large.50 litres +12 i think.8 months old.
 Michael Chan 20 Sep 2011
In reply to Ken S: Lowe Alpine Peak Attsck 35:45. Extendable Lid, removable back frame, and the shoulder straps have a small enough width for complete freedom of movement without lifting the pack yet wide enough for heavy loads. Also has a good rope carry system
 SFM 20 Sep 2011
In reply to Ken S:

Anyone got or tried one of these? Be interested to know how they are in the flesh(so to speak)
http://www.blueice.com/en/products/blue-ice-45l

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...