UKC

Winter sleeping bag.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dking02 16 May 2023

All round sleeping bags ie inc winter for camping and potentially bivying. Currently looking at:  

rab ascent pro 800, 
rab ascent 900 and 
me helium gt 800. 

main considerations are weight, pack size, warmth and water resistance. Also important that a long version is offered. All similar specs but some slightly vary eg quantum vs quantum pro and 15°C vs 18°C. Also the fact Rab uses rab sleep limit vs ME using standard rating. N.B I understand a good sleep mat is equally important but not looking for advice re this yet. 
Any of your own experiences or alternative ideas much welcome : ) 

LastBoyScout 16 May 2023
In reply to dking02:

> All round sleeping bags ie inc winter for camping and potentially bivying. Currently looking at:  

> main considerations are weight, pack size, warmth and water resistance.

Does it have to be a water resistant sleeping bag, or are you going to use a bivvy bag with it?

Will Hempstead 16 May 2023
In reply to dking02:

I have a Alpkit Alpinedream 800 which I bought cheap on a deal last year. Its in the same rrp price range as the mentioned options but you do get higher fill power down which apparently makes a difference (who really knows...). All I know is that I was warm ish on a very exposed bivvy with temps below -20. Bivvy bag or small bivvy tent always worth it imo, I have the cheap alpkit bivvy bag and it's fine. I also got the Lomo silver foam fold up mat, which is a knock off of a thermarest product and that was fine as well. I was pretty chuffed to be warm in those conditions with a reasonably lightweight and, more importantly, affordable set up.

OP dking02 16 May 2023
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Water resistant would be preferable, in any case i dont plan on sleeping in just a bag in rain haha but, or at least hearing peoples own experiences with regard to down and condensation from inside tent and or bivy bag. 

slawrence1001 17 May 2023
In reply to dking02:

I recently got a mountain hardwear lamina 0 degree F and it fits all criteria. Have a look because I think they are harder to come by in the UK now but definitely worth it for the price. Haven't had a sleeping bag both this light and warm for around 100 quid

crayefish 18 May 2023
In reply to dking02:

> main considerations are weight, pack size, warmth and water resistance.

ONLY those considerations then?  I think you covered them all 😅

To be honest, both ME and Rab make great bags.  All mine are ME but that's personal preference.  I wouldn't get too excited about hydrophobic down, so rather look at water resistant shells.

Considered the ME Glacier?  Not as light/packable as the Helium, but it's got a better shell (more water resistant) and a more generous fit.  I have a glacier 750 and it's done me well for high altitude and winter bivis/camping.

barbeg 18 May 2023
In reply to crayefish:

I've got an ME Glacier 1000 and it's the absolute DB's..

Barbeg 

top cat 20 May 2023
In reply to dking02:

Mountain Hardware Ghost SL.  You can't get cold in this!  Roomy enough to dress/undress inside which is essential in my opinion for a winter bag .

Very pricey though......even second hand . I'm moving to warmer climes so I'll be selling mine at some stage, but it is probably more bag than you need.

BuzyG 20 May 2023
In reply to dking02:

I asked a very similar question here last summer.  After listening to the forum and a bit of research on Google, I bought a Snugpack Softie Expansion 3 Light.  Great sleeping bag.  I took it up to the Cairngorms in February this year.  FYI I am 6ft 4" and I fit fine. Not much to spare though.

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/snugpak-softie-expansion-3-lightweight-slee...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...