UKC

Winter Waterproofs Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 webbie88 21 Aug 2018

After a major shift in my life plans I have decided I need to get back into the outdoors, this does mean I need some new kit especially some heavier duty waterproofs for winter.

When winter walking I do walk warm and usually wear Rab Vapour Rise with a short base layer underneath and this is plenty so I am looking for a Waterproof that will stand up to Scottish winter walking & scrambling that wont add too much weight/heat to my current system.

Yeah this might be the holy grail I am looking for but after being away for a few years any advice would be welcome.

Jonny  

Tringa 21 Aug 2018
In reply to webbie88:

Just about all of my outdoor experience is walking but also a lot of it is in north west Scotland and I use a Paramo jacket that is around 15 years old and although it looks a bit scuffed it still going strong - waterproof, windproof, very breathable.

The only drawback is it is a bit on the heavy side but more recent Paramo jackets are lighter.

I sometimes give it a wash and reproof it, but that is a rare event, and even when the outside wets out nothing gets through to the inside.

I wouldn't want to be without it.

Dave

FinrodFelagund 21 Aug 2018
In reply to Tringa:

Another Paramo advocate here. 

Jonny is worried about running warm, but he could ditch the vapour-rise and use the Paramo as both waterproof and insulation. 

I have a Velez adventure, around 8 years old, still going strong. 

Neil Pratt 21 Aug 2018
In reply to webbie88:

Just to bring balance to the force, I’ve tried various bits of Paramo kit and found it all a bit unsatisfactory in terms of waterproofness and general comfort. Given that several of my mates swear by it,  I’m convinced that it works by sympathetic magic - if you believe in it enough, it will keep you dry!

Having gone round the houses with Event, Neoshell and various other membranes, I’ve settled on Gore Pro Shell as the current best compromise. I bought an Arcteryx Beta AR 4 years ago - it’s been through the wringer since them but still waterproof, although getting a bit rubbed and tatty in places. It gets regularly washed in nikwax and reproofed every couple of months to maintain the DWR. 

Whichever material works best for you, it’ll be as part of a system - getting to know how your own body reacts to working hard, standing around, wind etc will help you work out the best clothing combo  to keep you comfortable in poor weather. 

Y Gribin 21 Aug 2018
In reply to webbie88:

Half and half works well for me!

I think Paramo Aspira trousers are excellent for Scottish winter. I've worn them (and their predecessors) for years. But I find their jackets too hot so I wear Goretex Pro (Haglofs as I like their slightly longer fit), usually over a thin base layer and a Vapour Rise.

hbeevers 21 Aug 2018
In reply to webbie88:

To add another opinion; I've got a Paramo Alta II which I love in the right conditions. I've also got Alpkit gore texy type jackets.

If it's cold and there's rain forecast, I'll wear Paramo over a baselayer and pack a synthethetic for stops. This system works really well and I'll be dry all day as long as I'm moving i.e. a big walk/ scramble.

If I was climbing and expecting to stand around at a belay... Paramo isn't ideal. Where you'll be sweaty in the gore tex while moving, there's a chance the Paramo will wet out if you're stood still getting cold in an absolute deluge. Either way you're wet.

Something else to consider, my Paramo is 8-10 years old and hasn't skipped a beat, no noticeable wear anywhere.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...