UKC

Wireless earbuds to listen to music while I climb and train

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi.

I am not sure if they count as equipment but I am in the mindset of purchasing some wireless earbuds to listen to music to keep me psyched. 

Is this a good idea? Are they worth the money?

Sav

Neil Williams 03 Dec 2022
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

I've got Airpods and they are great, but I don't wear them climbing.  There are cheaper options, though.

ripper 03 Dec 2022

Don't listen to music, just focus fully on the moment and the movement 

In reply to Neil Williams:

> I've got Airpods and they are great, but I don't wear them climbing.  There are cheaper options, though.

Hi Neil.

I have done a few searches and they are cheaper options around - prices vary greatly.

These seem a good option 

https://www.jvcshop.co.uk/products/haa5tb

Sav

In reply to ripper:

> Don't listen to music, just focus fully on the moment and the movement 

A bit of Eminem in there I think.

youtube.com/watch?v=_Yhyp-_hX2s&

Sav

AtLargesse 04 Dec 2022

I’ve been blown away by a wireless bone-vibration flexible headset for training. It’s one one of those sort of half circles that sits across the back of the head, and the earpieces sit just outside your ears and transmit the sound via some kind of seismic voodoo bone magic. The sound quality is better than earbuds for me, and you get good ambient sound that’s present enough to know if someone is trying to get your attention or you’re using a timer, but very easy to ignore horrid chatter at the gym. They don’t feel like pieces of plastic jammed in my ears, and I’m totally obsessed. Highly recommend. Would bone voodoo again. 

Neil Williams 04 Dec 2022

I personally can't stand the rubber gasket type, but if they work for you go for it.

In reply to AtLargesse:

> I’ve been blown away by a wireless bone-vibration flexible headset for training. It’s one one of those sort of half circles that sits across the back of the head, and the earpieces sit just outside your ears and transmit the sound via some kind of seismic voodoo bone magic. The sound quality is better than earbuds for me, and you get good ambient sound that’s present enough to know if someone is trying to get your attention or you’re using a timer, but very easy to ignore horrid chatter at the gym. They don’t feel like pieces of plastic jammed in my ears, and I’m totally obsessed. Highly recommend. Would bone voodoo again. 

Is this the type of thing you are talking about?

https://idaffodil.co.uk/products/bone-conduction-wireless-bluetooth-headpho...

Sav

John Kelly 04 Dec 2022

No idea about the gym but if you going outside get a wired set, much smaller chance losing them

CantClimbTom 04 Dec 2022

Until a week ago I'd have said exactly what ripper said I'd never understood why anyone would want to climb , especially not outdoors, with music in their ears rather than just enjoying their situation. But I actually bought a pair, earphone not earbuds as joined together I'm less likely to lose one! Got it for a climb I have in mind but not been on it yet 😥.

Some people find  help find it keeps them in the zone while training and some people find it keeps them focused climbing while on their own if managing fear is a factor because a little like wearing ear defenders in a very high noise environment, listening to music gives your brain a slight tunnel vision. That helps some people keep total focus on the moves and immediate surroundings. As a famous example: Honnold and music on his early big solos (not that I am comparing myself, or anyone else to him, just an anecdotal famous example)

I think the best any of us can answer without just trying to push our own preferences onto others is to say: "try it and see" because it works well for some people but not at all for others.

BTW Bluetooth ear buds, earphones or headphones 🎧 add a tiny delay so synch isn't perfect. If you are just listening to music it's no problem, but I first used some Weds this week and it was a YouTube video drum tutorial (Purdie shuffle) and that *doesn't* work!

Post edited at 07:48
 AtLargesse 04 Dec 2022

Yes!

jezb1 04 Dec 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> BTW Bluetooth ear buds, earphones or headphones 🎧 add a tiny delay so synch isn't perfect. If you are just listening to music it's no problem, but I first used some Weds this week and it was a YouTube video drum tutorial (Purdie shuffle) and that *doesn't* work!

I use Apple AirPod Pros and I think on Apple stuff it syncs videos so they line up with delay.

ianstevens 04 Dec 2022
In reply to John Kelly:

> No idea about the gym but if you going outside get a wired set, much smaller chance losing them

Much smaller chance of being able to use them too

Dave Hewitt 04 Dec 2022
In reply to John Kelly:

> No idea about the gym but if you going outside get a wired set, much smaller chance losing them

Another version of this - common for lots of people I suspect - is if you have hearing aids. I do, and I wear them all the time indoors (apart from when sleeping or washing). But I take them out when going up any kind of hill - too much risk of losing them. I get endless free replacement batteries and tubes, but I don't think the NHS would run to giving me actual new aids were they to end up on a tussocky hillside somewhere on a windy day!

In reply to John Kelly:

Hi John.

I am mainly based indoors at walls for the time being - apart from walking.

Sav

> I think the best any of us can answer without just trying to push our own preferences onto others is to say: "try it and see" because it works well for some people but not at all for others.

Hi Tom. Too right.

> BTW Bluetooth ear buds, earphones or headphones 🎧 add a tiny delay so synch isn't perfect. If you are just listening to music it's no problem, but I first used some Weds this week and it was a YouTube video drum tutorial (Purdie shuffle) and that *doesn't* work!

I have read this elsewhere when looking into them. At the wall it will just be for listening to music but I do watch videos on YouTube about climbing in the evenings but that can be done without earbuds.

Sav

Dave Cundy 04 Dec 2022

I have a pair i use for cycle trips.  I don't use them much but they do help to distract you when you've got a long slow climb for ab hour or two.  Most of the time I'm too busy admiring the scenery, or looking out for traffic, or the next junction.

In reply to Dave Cundy:

> I have a pair i use for cycle trips.  I don't use them much but they do help to distract you when you've got a long slow climb for ab hour or two.  Most of the time I'm too busy admiring the scenery, or looking out for traffic, or the next junction.

Hi Dave.

Please can you tell me what make and model you have.

Sav

Dave Cundy 04 Dec 2022

They are bluetooth sports in-ear headphones.  The model is GSPINBT16 and there's a small box on the wire (with a few tiny control switches) that says Goji.  They are about 4 years old.

Dave

Dave Cundy 04 Dec 2022

They had little clip-on bits to help the wire wrap around the ear.  These bits had a tendency to come off, or get lost.  Luckily  that didn't matter to much when wearing a helmet.   A tiny wrap of masking tape solves the problem.

In reply to Dave Cundy:

Hi Dave.

Could these be them?

Dave Cundy 05 Dec 2022

That's the kiddie.  After i posted, i noticed that they had disappeared from Currys but there were a few samples on ebay.

Incidentally, i seem to recall that the battery lasts for about 2 hrs.

Just to let people know I am staying at The Quays Hotel for tonight and tomorrow night and living it LARGE as I've booked in a JUNIOR SUITE!!!!

Sav

Post edited at 12:37
 Mattharrier 06 Dec 2022

I have a set of Anker in ear bluetooth earbuds - they are connected to each other, but otherwise wireless, so no cable to get in the way of your arms. You can easily take one ear out, and as they are magnetic, you can simply stick the unused one to the back of the used one (it looks a bit peculiar, but...) and if one gets knocked out (unlikely, but possible if your ear is right next to your arm) you won't lose it. You can use the magnets to attach them together around your neck if you want to take them out completely for a bit, without putting them away.

I don't think the specific ones I have are made anymore, but there are bunch of similar things on Amazon and the like, usually around £30 or so.

In reply to Mattharrier:

> I don't think the specific ones I have are made anymore, but there are bunch of similar things on Amazon and the like, usually around £30 or so.

Thanks Matt.

I have just checked on Amazon and they have wireless earbuds at the moment.

These are what they have.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=anker+earbuds&crid=3IZWP5VN6R6NU&spref...

I am following you on IG by the way.

Sav

AWP84 06 Dec 2022

I have a similar JVC pair and don't get on with them. They fall out when running, climbing, even gardening. My partner uses them on the bus and commutes etc. and loves them though.

It is great not having a wire!

shuffle 06 Dec 2022
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

I have some retainers for my hearing aid that I use whenever I am doing something that involves wearing a helmet. They work pretty well. 

https://www.connevans.co.uk/catalogue/1233614/Ear-Gear

In reply to AWP84:

Are you referring to the earbuds I posted as reply to someone else?

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/gear/wireless_earbuds_to_listen_to_music_... 

Sav

Post edited at 19:17
In reply to Mattharrier:

Sut mae ateb y swydd hon? Dwi ddim yn gwybod!

In reply to AWP84:

> I have a similar JVC pair and don't get on with them. They fall out when running, climbing, even gardening. My partner uses them on the bus and commutes etc. and loves them though.

What kind are they?

https://www.argos.co.uk/search/jvc/?clickOrigin=searchbar:home:auto:jvc:jvc

> It is great not having a wire!

Is this your partner speaking?

Sav 

cwarby 06 Dec 2022

It's interesting isn't it. I most definitely climb harder with someone. It's irrelevant to me what grade they climb, the banter, someone shouting encouragement, talking about a move all seems to help. My opinion, but I love that contact. I see people wearing earbuds, they lose that fun and learning experience.

In reply to AWP84:

Sarah Harram?

In reply to cwarby:

> It's interesting isn't it. I most definitely climb harder with someone. It's irrelevant to me what grade they climb, the banter, someone shouting encouragement, talking about a move all seems to help. My opinion, but I love that contact. I see people wearing earbuds, they lose that fun and learning experience.

I don't have earbuds yet and I climbing with someone at The Depot tomorrow afternoon. I enjoy all the stuff you mention to.

Dave Hewitt 06 Dec 2022
In reply to shuffle:

> I have some retainers for my hearing aid that I use whenever I am doing something that involves wearing a helmet. They work pretty well.

Interesting, thanks, hadn't seen those before. I've never actually had the hearing aids fall out apart from the standard Covid mask entanglement problem that lots of people have had, and the plastic inbuilt hooks seem to work well in terms of keeping them in place. But I am a bit anxious about it - the worst thing would be having one fall out on a hill somewhere and only realising a while later when there was almost zero chance of finding it.

Not wearing them on the hill means I get slight tinnitus (nothing bad, just a sort of background fuzz), but it also means I can't hear any wee birds - it was seeing them (eg the local yellowhammers) but failing to hear them that first alerted me to my hearing's decline a few years ago. The subsequent graph of high-pitched stuff not heard when I went to do the test at the audiology department was a bit startling! I can hear lower things OK, eg owls and all sorts of machinery, so it's not the worst way to be. The alarm clock is an issue - mostly now I can't hear it, given that I take the aids out overnight; I've already changed once to a different model of clock and I'll need to think about changing again fairly soon as it seems to be getting slightly worse. The click as the minute hand catches the alarm hand is almost always good enough to wake me however, even though I can't really hear the subsequent alarm itself.

In reply to Mattharrier:

Yeux de saphir mystiques! C’est toi? 

Σ' αγαπώ!!!!

Sav

In reply to Dave Hewitt:

> The alarm clock is an issue - mostly now I can't hear it, given that I take the aids out overnight; I've already changed once to a different model of clock and I'll need to think about changing again fairly soon ..

Just a thought for an alternative - If you have never tried one of the light alarms I suggest you consider if that is could be an option for you.

I’ve used a Lumie Bodyclock alarm clock for more than 20 years (same one still going strong and I’ve only changed the bulb once in that time) and I can’t recall ever using the audible alarm part just the light part. Wakes me up without fail, and with a gradual wakening from deep sleep. I personally don’t use it for going to sleep though it has settings for that too if required.

It’s the same light btw that is marketed for SAD sufferers if you’re googling it.

Toddler 07 Dec 2022

Shokz - wireless bone conducting: you can hear everyone around you, so not great for getting into the zone but useful to stay aware.

Skullcandy Dime - regular: I find the sound quality to be absolutely solid (having come from expensive airpods) and at ~25 quid they’re great. They’re also fairly sleek, as cheaper bluetooth earphones tend to stick out like a sore thumb.

Brian Pollock 07 Dec 2022

Look up Tribit Flybuds on Amazon. About £30 ish and brilliant. Used them for ages. They've outlasted an expensive pair of RHA earphones I had previously. 

In reply to Toddler:

Thanks.

> Shokz - wireless bone conducting: you can hear everyone around you, so not great for getting into the zone but useful to stay aware.

Are these them?

https://uk.shokz.com/

> Skullcandy Dime - regular: I find the sound quality to be absolutely solid (having come from expensive airpods) and at ~25 quid they’re great. They’re also fairly sleek, as cheaper bluetooth earphones tend to stick out like a sore thumb.

These?

https://www.skullcandy.co.uk/dime-wireless-earbuds/

I like them.

Thanks

Sav 

In reply to Brian Pollock:

> Look up Tribit Flybuds on Amazon. About £30 ish and brilliant. Used them for ages. They've outlasted an expensive pair of RHA earphones I had previously. 

Hi Brian.

Thanks.

Something like these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tribit-FlyBuds-NC-Cancelling-Wireless-Black/dp/B08...

Sav 

AWP84 09 Dec 2022

They're that first pair in the link actually.

I tried them for while and still use them occasionally when stationary, and enjoy not having a wire. 

snoop6060 09 Dec 2022

I’ve got a few sets of these and prefer the anker ones simply because they have the longest range and I don’t need my phone in my pocket. They are about 30quid on Amazon. I’m quite keen on listening to music or podcasts when bouldering on my own at the wall. 

In reply to AWP84:

> They're that first pair in the link actually.

> I tried them for while and still use them occasionally when stationary, and enjoy not having a wire. 

They look good. Great. 

In reply to snoop6060:

> I’ve got a few sets of these and prefer the anker ones simply because they have the longest range and I don’t need my phone in my pocket. They are about 30quid on Amazon. I’m quite keen on listening to music or podcasts when bouldering on my own at the wall. 

Also when warning up before climbing at a social. When I am doing chalk game etc I will nee to doing it by myself.

In reply to Toddler:

> Skullcandy Dime - regular: I find the sound quality to be absolutely solid (having come from expensive airpods) and at ~25 quid they’re great. They’re also fairly sleek, as cheaper bluetooth earphones tend to stick out like a sore thumb.

I am impressed with the Skullcandy Dime, it is worth paying £56 for the push with the air artachments.

https://www.skullcandy.co.uk/push-active-wireless-earbuds/

There is a 20% discount if it is your first order from the website.

In reply to AWP84:

> They're that first pair in the link actually.

> I tried them for while and still use them occasionally when stationary, and enjoy not having a wire. 

I think it is between these and the Skull Candy Dime.

In reply to Toddler:

I was meant to say, it s it worth paying £56 for the Push?

In reply to Mattharrier:

Are you and this user one and the same?

https://www.ukclimbing.com/user/profile.php?id=304766

Bye 

Sav 

♥️

sbc23 11 Dec 2022

Buds just fall out. Look at Aftershockz Titanium bone conduction headset. You can hear everything around you and much safer for running and stuff. 

In reply to sbc23:

> Buds just fall out. Look at Aftershockz Titanium bone conduction headset. You can hear everything around you and much safer for running and stuff. 

Are you referring to these?

https://www.directnine.uk/products/aftershokz-titanium-bone-conduction-wire...

I think they have been replaced by OpenRun.

https://uk.shokz.com/products/openrun?variant=40089687687225

Are they worth the money?

Bye

Sav

To those who have earbuds, do you wear them for a pro longed time? 

Apparently you shouldn't use then for hours.

Sav

StuDoig 14 Dec 2022

I'm a fan of the aftershoks - in ear devices don't work well for me and are less affected by my hearing loss as well.  I like the improved situational awareness with them too - though at times it means I struggle to hear the music / Podcasts etc (when running alongside a busy road for example).  Those are when I prefer to be able to hear what's happening around me anyway - a personal pref. definitely!

Also much less prone to getting lost that ear bud types!

Cheers,

Stu

In reply to StuDoig:

> I'm a fan of the aftershoks - in ear devices don't work well for me and are less affected by my hearing loss as well.  I like the improved situational awareness with them too - though at times it means I struggle to hear the music / Podcasts etc (when running alongside a busy road for example).  Those are when I prefer to be able to hear what's happening around me anyway - a personal pref. definitely!

> Also much less prone to getting lost that ear bud types!

> Cheers,

> Stu

Hi Stu.

The least expensive one is around £70.

Sav

CantClimbTom 15 Dec 2022

Surely for getting into the zone climbing you'd be better off with? youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ&

> Surely for getting into the zone climbing you'd be better off with? youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ&

Another 80s classic! Too right!

What about this rock classic?  youtube.com/watch?v=1Cw1ng75KP0&

BTW Mannequin is on this Sunday on ITVBe!

What does seeing someone mean?

Does it mean they are in relationship or dating and about to be in a relationship?

hang_about 16 Dec 2022

Depends. In Glasgow 'see you' suffixed with the term 'Jimmy!' is not a term of endearment.

Seeing someone implies dating.

A 'good seeing to' means a more advanced stage of a relationship. 

In all seriousness, if you are unsure just go with the flow and see where things lead (or not) rather than reading too much into a term. 

In reply to hang_about:

Thanks for this.

> Depends. In Glasgow 'see you' suffixed with the term 'Jimmy!' is not a term of endearment.

> Seeing someone implies dating.

Like taking them on a nice break to a lovely city and staring a nice hotel or going and seeing a concert together.

> A 'good seeing to' means a more advanced stage of a relationship. 

Does this have any sexual connotations?

> In all seriousness, if you are unsure just go with the flow and see where things lead (or not) rather than reading too much into a term. 

Mannequin is on this Sunday on ITVBe!

Sav

Post edited at 12:19
In reply to hang_about:

> Depends. In Glasgow 'see you' suffixed with the term 'Jimmy!' is not a term of endearment.

> Seeing someone implies dating.

Like going in a nice break to a lovely city and staying in nice hotel or going to a concert together.

> A 'good seeing to' means a more advanced stage of a relationship. 

> In all seriousness, if you are unsure just go with the flow and see where things lead (or not) rather than reading too much into a term. 

Post edited at 15:26

Is Paris the city of Romance?

Nothing's Gonna To Stop Us now brings me back to my secondary school days when the song - along with The Police's Every Breath You Take - were used to advertise LWT's (London Weekend Television) line up including Gladiators.

youtube.com/watch?v=3wxyN3z9PL4&

youtube.com/watch?v=OMOGaugKpzs&

Sav

Post edited at 23:19

What does it mean when a lady dedicates a song to gentleman?

> Surely for getting into the zone climbing you'd be better off with? youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ&

Hold it right there?!....

....What are you exactly saying this song?!....

.... How long has she known me for?!

Sav

I just listened to this.

youtube.com/watch?v=yPYZpwSpKmA&

Post edited at 13:39

Back in Quays Hotel Sheffield for Depot Climbing tomorrow. 

Livin it large like The GC and Arg!!!!

What is the meaning of this 😍 emoji?

youtube.com/watch?v=NDNlYho3A2Y&

> What is the meaning of this 😍 emoji?

The emoji can mean: love/ in love, adoration or infatuation.

Durbs 18 Jan 2023

Generally I'd suggest - as others have - bone conducting one. 
I've got a pair of Shokz, usually some discount codes floating around and really rate them for running or cycling.

They'd be great outside, but in a bouldering centre, where they usually play their own music - they'd be very annoying as you'd hear both your music and the centres.

Personally, I'm not a fan or wearing headphones/earbuds indoors - people might be talking/shouting at you about something, and not being able to hear them could lead to an accident; "mind that spinner", "there's a kid beneath you" etc.

MischaHY 18 Jan 2023
In reply to Durbs:

10/10 for this spectacular straight bat effort to bring the thread back on track. 

In reply to Durbs:

> Generally I'd suggest - as others have - bone conducting one. 

Another person for bone conduction.

> I've got a pair of Shokz, usually some discount codes floating around and really rate them for running or cycling.

Which model have you got? Did you buy them from the Shokz website? 

> They'd be great outside, but in a bouldering centre, where they usually play their own music - they'd be very annoying as you'd hear both your music and the centres.

A lot centres do play there own music but The Depot Sheffield only seems to play it during the late afternoon/early evening when it is busy. I can wear it when I am bouldering in Font.

> Personally, I'm not a fan or wearing headphones/earbuds indoors - people might be talking/shouting at you about something, and not being able to hear them could lead to an accident; "mind that spinner", "there's a kid beneath you" etc.

I have not used any head phones so far not listened to music. I agree about talking people taking to you - I have seen people wearing buds during warm up and cool down in training area.

Sav

Post edited at 13:38
In reply to Durbs:

Can I ask, have we (ever) met?

Sav

In reply to Durbs:

Are you anything to do with this GB Climber?

https://instagram.com/erinmcbeast?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Sav

Durbs 13 Feb 2023

Er - no?

We've not met, though I think I was in Craggy 2 once with you many years ago (Marcus era!)

LastBoyScout 13 Feb 2023

My wife's got a pair of Jabra bluetooth ones that are the "wired together" variety:
https://www.jabra.com/bluetooth-headsets/jabra-elite-active-45e##100-990400...

I've borrowed them running a few times and they're generally great, the wire means you're less likely to lose one. Only niggle is that I sometimes feel the wire catching on the collar of my top, but might just be me - probably a running-specific issue, anyway, due to the bouncing. Very long battery life - up to 9 hours!

They do lots of the ear-bud style ones, too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...