UKC

Women’s Belay Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AnnieKanani 30 Dec 2020

Does anybody know of any really good warm women’s belay jacket? I’ve been given the Rab Nebula Pro which looks good but I’m wondering if it will be warm enough for Scottish winter. I suffer from the cold badly so want to make sure I’ve got the best. Even if it means buying a men’s jacket such as ME Citadel. I can easily get a refund and put it towards something else. Just wanted some guidance and advice as the stuff I’ve been reading on women’s jackets is pretty dated and going into shops is difficult at the moment....

In reply to AnnieKanani:

I'd say Patagonia's DAS Parka is the best there is. I prefer it over the Citadel.

Here it is:

https://www.patagonia.com/product/womens-das-parka/85355.html

Mark Stevenson 31 Dec 2020
In reply to AnnieKanani:

Even for us blokes there aren't too many options for a super warm proper belay jacket.

ME Citadel is definitely top of the list but (if last year is anything to go by) surprisingly difficult to find in stock anywhere to try on. 

After that the better options are probably the RAB Photon X probably followed by the Patagonia DAS Parka. I believe RAB may do a female version  

Pretty much everything else like the ME Fitzroy and the Decathlon/Simond, Alpkit and Montane equivalents aren't quite as warm.

I currently have a Photon X as I got one off Sportpursuit far cheaper than I could find a Citadel. It's a lot warmer (and bulkier) than the RAB Generator Alpine that it replaced for hard routes.

One obvious question is what sort of climbing/mountaineering you intend to be doing. I used my RAB Generator quite happily for years and when belaying for half an hour on an ice or mountaineering route I'm fairly sure that the Nebula Pro (which seems fairly similar) would probably be good enough for lots of people. However, if you're going to be belaying someone on hard mixed climbs for two-three hours then you'll almost certainly find it lacking, although that might well be the case regardless of what jacket you have!

Finally, your jacket isn't the only issue to consider - thermals, mid-layers, buffs/hats/balaclavas and belay mitts will all make a contribution to how much heat loss you suffer when stationary. 

Post edited at 22:56
In reply to AnnieKanani:

Fjern Husly is a great choice for a super heavyweight belay jacket, but I think they are discontinuing it and they no longer have the womens on Sports Pursuit. For £80 I would definitely take a punt on the mens, unless you are particularly curvy. My partner snapped up one of the last womens recently and its really well made. 

markk 01 Jan 2021
In reply to AnnieKanani:

PHD - custom sizing?

https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/down-jackets-synthetic-jackets-down-pullovers

Not cheap, but quality and warm.

Šljiva 01 Jan 2021
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

> Fjern Husly is a great choice for a super heavyweight belay jacket, but I think they are discontinuing it and they no longer have the womens on Sports Pursuit. For £80 I would definitely take a punt on the mens, unless you are particularly curvy. My partner snapped up one of the last womens recently and its really well made. 

Was just about to recommend this, same kind of league as the Citadel and much cheaper.  The men’s one is probably fine as they’re not exactly tailored! Not that climbing is an option at the moment but it’s great for the winter picnics  

In reply to AnnieKanani:

Perhaps explore the options available in electric heated motorcycle clothing (eg Keis Heated Apparel). Lighter inner layers designed to go under bike leathers can be used for climbing - switch on the heaters when it's your turn to sit & shiver!

LukeyG 03 Jan 2021
In reply to AnnieKanani: black diamond stance, they are super warm. There are men’s and women’s available too

In reply to LukeyG:

I have a 1st gen primaloft Stance, it was amazing. Since then they skimped on the materials and the quality is pretty much half what it used to be. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...