UKC

Women's mountain trousers - long 34"+ inseam?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mcawle 03 Feb 2020

Hi,

I'm looking for options for women's mountaineering trousers with a long inseam (min. 34" or about 86cm). Looking ideally for a mid-weight soft shell with a slim fit including around the ankle. Crampon instep patches a plus. Would consider a hard shell option if that's all there was. Proving a bit tricky to find.

I know that some companies offer limited selections in a long size, e.g. Mountain Equipment and Rab, but on paper they're not long enough (33" and 31" respectively). Mammut and Arc'teryx look promising and do 34" but are of course Mammut and Arc'teryx prices.

I'm trying to avoid the rigmarole of ordering a bunch of stuff and then sending most/all of it back. I think I've googled the life out of it already, but I'm interested in any other suggestions, and/or in hearing from anyone who has dealt with this and found a company or particular set of trousers that work.

Thanks!

Michael

rexybo 03 Feb 2020
In reply to mcawle:

Hi Michael.

I'm a 6ft tall woman, size 8-10, and the only trousers I've ever had that fit me really well are from Mammut. They were shockingly expensive when I bought them in Cham a few years ago (about €180, if I remember rightly) but I was so delighted at finding some trousers that fit me that I decided to pay the cost. Norrona also fit me length-wise but I find the hip and upper thighs to be cut too generously and this is uncomfortable under a harness after a while. 

Sadly, I don't know of any cheaper brands that fit my frame well but as my mammuts are holding up really well after 2 years of heavy use I don't regret spending the money.

Sam 

OP mcawle 03 Feb 2020
In reply to rexybo:

Hi Sam,

That's really useful. Maybe we'll just have to bite the Mammut bullet. I'll check it out. Thank you very much!

Cheers,

Michael

nikoid 04 Feb 2020
In reply to mcawle:

I have the same trouble with men's trousers but I've found Fjallraven do extra long legs. Expensive but well made. Maybe worth a look?

OP mcawle 04 Feb 2020
In reply to nikoid:

Thanks, I'll check them out. Is their fabric still good for wet and snowy/windy conditions though? I don't know a lot about it but I assumed the cotton content made it a bit of a write off for mountaineering.

nikoid 04 Feb 2020
In reply to mcawle:

https://www.fjallraven.co.uk/fjallraven-womens-karla-pro-winter-trousers-w-...

Have a look at these, described as winter trousers. You will see these are available in raw length, meaning longer than the regular length. You need to look at the size guide to check whether you can get away with the regular length. Note only a limited selection of their styles offer the raw length. (I thought raw length would mean unfinished, ie needing hemming but they are actually finished ready to wear). Finally I have Nils trousers which are fairly lightweight so can't advise on what the winter trousers are like.

Hope that helps.

Toerag 04 Feb 2020
In reply to mcawle:

Mammut only go up to a 32" inside leg in women's trousers according to their size card I keep in my wallet for shopping in Germany -

Consider a Dutch brand if one exists as they're generally a tall race.  Other than that, then Fjallraven as noted above.

99ster 04 Feb 2020
In reply to Toerag:

> Mammut only go up to a 32" inside leg in women's trousers according to their size card I keep in my wallet for shopping in Germany -

Rather than check the card in your wallet - you could check the Mammut website to find...
86cm inside leg in women's trousers:

https://www.mammut.com/uk/en/service/size-charts/#2

OP mcawle 05 Feb 2020
In reply to nikoid:

Thanks!

Toerag 06 Feb 2020
In reply to 99ster:

Hmmm, they've changed their sizing then, as the 40-44 long sizes on my card show an inside leg of 31 or 32".  Gonna have to get a new card, unfortunately that might require buying some Mammut trousers!

In reply to Toerag:

> Consider a Dutch brand if one exists as they're generally a tall race.

Yup, Dutch or Scandiwegian...

Haglofs do short/regular/long inseam versions of their women's trousers, but those are relative to the basic size, so waist, hip size would be required to confirm. Inseam sizes go in 2cm increments, starting at 78cm for XXS, giving 84 (33") and 86cm (34") for M and L respectively.

e.g. https://www.haglofs.com/gb/en-gb/breccia-pant-women/p/604071-2CT.html?

OP mcawle 06 Feb 2020
In reply to captain paranoia:

Thanks, I checked Haglofs but annoyingly they don't actually do the short or long variants for any of their mountain pants (including the Breccia to which you linked). What I've found is that they will include a further option for short/regular/long if they offer that particular model in varying leg lengths, and that option is not available on any of the mountain pants. And of course they don't provide a filter for alternative leg lengths so you have to click into each one to see, haha/sigh.

I have found that Trangoworld (a Spanish company of whom I'd never heard but appear decent) seem to be pretty generous in offering long and short options on a lot of their technical pants, so I'll give those a try. Will update this thread if successful.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...