UKC

WTB Budget helmet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kozma 26 Apr 2022

Hello!

I'm got a basic rack but I'm missing a helmet. Just wondering if anyone's got one that they're willing to sell?

Working on a budget trying to get more gear, so any deals are appreciated!

Thanks!

CantClimbTom 26 Apr 2022
In reply to Kozma:

ebay is your friend.

Look for a traditional climbing helmet being sold by an outdoor centre, club etc. What happens is that at 10 years old (pretty much arbitrary number) they are considered by insurance companies and health and safety at work etc to be uncertifiable regardless of their actual condition so they must be replaced by outdoor centres etc and they get sold off.

EDIT: usually they bought a batch in the past and so they are selling a batch of them when this happens, so in this scenario the same seller likely selling several.

Got myself an ecrin roc helmet (for some underground adventuring) this way, at a knock down price

EDIT2:  *Don't" buy a new one especially not a suspiciously cheap new Chinese (or brand you've never heard of) one, your head is valuable and should have a reputable helmet on it. Look for things like Petzl ecrin roc, Camp rockstar, Edelerid etc

£15 and it looks like an outdoor centre (note the helmet is numbered)

try searching ebay for   133922357644

Post edited at 17:39
 TeeBee 26 Apr 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Oughtn't places likely to be batch-buying also have to have a trail of accountability, and thus not likely to be passing on safety-critical stuff when they might subsequently be held liable if anything unfortunate happened?

CantClimbTom 26 Apr 2022
In reply to TeeBee:

If kit that is in disrepair or too old to be safe is binned and perfectly good kit sold on - why not? Why would they be any more liable that any other sale on ebay, gumtree, etc. It's not a rope.

Many centres especially charities don't have that much cash, so if they need to replace (for example) 10 helmets why not let them sell them to raise money 10 x £14.99 is not insignificant.

Or is it better to landfill the lot because they can't be used commercially due to being 10 years old rather than 9

EdS 26 Apr 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Because it is classed as PPE and therefore any organisation passing it on has legal liabilities.

Camp Rockstar can be had for less than the price of 10 pints

beardy mike 27 Apr 2022
In reply to Kozma:

Simon sell perfectly serviceable helmets for less than 25 quid. They're not fancy but they work, I've had one for about 4 years now. Why compromise on something as safety critical as a helmet? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...