UKC

100km Training.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 monkeychoss 31 Aug 2021

Afternoon All, 

I am after a bit advice with regards to training for 100km walk in June next year. 

My longest walk to date is 26miles (completed twice 2 years ago) and yesterday I completed a walk of 17miles  -stanage / burbage / higgar tor circular  (I haven't hiked for over 2 years properly)

I would ideally like to complete it under 24hours and be in as little pain as possible !

Any training tips / plans would be much appreciated 

compost 31 Aug 2021
In reply to monkeychoss:

> My longest walk to date is 26miles (completed twice 2 years ago) and yesterday I completed a walk of 17miles  -stanage / burbage / higgar tor circular  (I haven't hiked for over 2 years properly)

This bit is the challenge - a really long day out is doable by lots of people but they're supposed to be fun! This means specific training for a specific event.

I'd suggest lots of long walks, building up gradually over time, and nearer to the event doing long walks on consecutive days.

Something like: 15miles each weekend between now and Oct, then 20miles til Dec, then 25 miles til Feb, then do some long weekends of 40+miles in 2 days. 

Slowly slowly catchy monkey 

SouthernSteve 31 Aug 2021
In reply to monkeychoss:

If you were training for running it, you would do long back to back training runs, so say 25 miles on a Saturday and 20 miles on a Sunday when you were already tired, building up to this over several months. Carrying more kit than you need to and getting more ascent in than on the 100 Km will be further good measures to consider. 

Also if this was a run, you would want to factor in sufficient eating and drinking time, so rather than thinking about a 2.5 miles / hour target work towards a 3 miles /hour target with lots of nosh and water!

I hope this helps. 

Post edited at 18:08

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...