UKC

A half day in the Ballachulish area?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 30 Oct 2019

I'm going to have an afternoon free in Ballachulish next Tuesday, say 12ish till dark and I'm looking for ideas for a walk or anything else in the area to do, outside preferably. Ms. aln will be with me, she's not a climber so no rock or summits. The Lost Valley seems an obvious choice, or maybe head to Ft. William and walk up to Steall meadows, though I've been to both a few times and a change would be nice. I'm considering a walk round Loch Achtriochtan for a different perspective on the Glen, is this worthwhile? Any other ideas? Preferably something with an objective, a rock formation or waterfall, or a good view. Somewhere on the App in road would be considered. 

Mark Bull 30 Oct 2019
In reply to aln:

If it's a nice day, Stob Mhic Mhartuin is an easy minor summit with good views: from Altnafeadh follow the WHW up the Devil's Staircase, then turn left at the col via a smaller path to the summit. 

skog 30 Oct 2019
In reply to aln:

A bit tame - but I think that's what you're wanting - and really quite nice - are the Glencoe Lochan trails.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/glencoelochan.shtml

abr1966 30 Oct 2019
In reply to Mark Bull:

> If it's a nice day, Stob Mhic Mhartuin is an easy minor summit with good views: from Altnafeadh follow the WHW up the Devil's Staircase, then turn left at the col via a smaller path to the summit. 

+1

..... a great view and not a bad walk at all!!

Lankyman 31 Oct 2019
In reply to aln:

A little south of you is Castle Stalker which has some nice coastal walking and close by is Sutherlands Grove - big trees and waterfalls with a very picturesque lochan (well, reservoir).  I think I had a little walking guidebook but info is easily available online I'm sure.

UKC Forums 31 Oct 2019
This thread was started in the DESTINATIONS forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

HILLTALK
A general forum for topics relating to hillwalking. Discuss walks you have been on, great scrambles, the best ridges, Munro-bagging and longer multi-day walks.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 malky_c 31 Oct 2019
In reply to aln:

Ardsheal Hill above Kentallen is an easy ascent with a good view. Or Glencoe lochans as previously suggested.

Tringa 31 Oct 2019
In reply to aln:

Agree with the suggestions of using the walks on here. There are plenty to choose from in and around the area but you'll be a bit limited due to only having about four and half ours daylight left after midday.

Dave

Phil1919 31 Oct 2019
In reply to aln:

Just hang out and enjoy being there.

m dunn 31 Oct 2019
In reply to aln:

If you're quick, Meall Mor gives the most stunning views back up Glencoe.

OP aln 31 Oct 2019
In reply to aln:

Some good ideas here, thanks! So far I'm leaning towards Ardsheal hill, the views look great for the amount of effort involved.

DH3631 31 Oct 2019
In reply to aln:

An addition/alternative to Stob mhic martuin, mentioned above, is the lower summit to the NE of the summit cairn at the top of the devil's staircase. Can't remember the name off hand, but good views towards the Blackwater. All the other suggestions are good, and scenic, but in the event that weather is not so nice, a walk into Tigh Seamus a'ghlinne (Duror bothy) for a brew could be an idea. About 30-40 mins each way from the road end at Duror, easy walking on forest roads. 

fmck 31 Oct 2019
In reply to aln:

A walk up to the signal rock followed by lunch at the Clachaig. Nice leisurely afternoon.

Removed User 31 Oct 2019
In reply to m dunn:

> If you're quick, Meall Mor gives the most stunning views back up Glencoe.

It really has.

In reply to m dunn:

Another vote for meall mor

LucaC 01 Nov 2019
In reply to aln:

Pink Rib on Beinn a' Chrulaiste with lush views and photos of the Buachaille as the sun goes down.

OP aln 08 Nov 2019
In reply to aln:

We ended up having a walk up Ardsheal Hill, and what a good choice it was. For such a wee hill, 863ft, it gave a fantastic feeling of space, felt higher than it is, and the views were stunning. An Ardgour panorama, up and down Loch Linnhe, and Ben Nevis too. Highly recommended. 

kwoods 08 Nov 2019
In reply to aln:

For a couple years I lived a couple miles up the road from Duror, fantastic place with a lot of the peace missing from the busier areas around the corner. Ardsheal Hill is nice - rough as well. Cuil Bay always good for sunsets. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...