UKC

Air clarity - long distance views

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blunderbuss 19 Jan 2020

Always wanted to see the mountains of Snowdonia from the Peak District hills and have never done so.

Wss thinking of a walk up Bleaklow tomorrow as the air seems very clear at the moment.

What do people reckon are my chances at the moment...anyone been out in Northern England/Wales yesterday or today and had some very long distance views? 

Tom Valentine 19 Jan 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

It is said that there is a point somewhere on Black Hill where you can see both Snowdonia and the Lakes (High Street) but it won't be from the trig point because the plateau edge is quite intrusive.

Post edited at 13:22
 Andy Hardy 19 Jan 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

I've been told that under the right conditions* it's possible to see both Lincoln cathedral and Snowdon from Axe Edge.

* needs to be very bright / sunny at both ends, and overcast in the middle iirc

Dave Hewitt 19 Jan 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> I've been told that under the right conditions* it's possible to see both Lincoln cathedral and Snowdon from Axe Edge.

I was brought up near Crich, and have been to the Stand quite a lot over the years. You can supposedly see Lincoln Cathedral from there, but I've never managed it, either from the benches at the base or from the top of the Stand itself. Has anyone here ever seen it? Jonathan de Ferranti's website reckons it's only 41 miles, so it ought to be feasible fairly often - but in my experience air clarity/quality is rarely brilliant, even on good winter days.

http://viewfinderpanoramas.org/panoramas/ENG/CRICH.gif

The easier way to do it might be to go up the cathedral tower and look for Crich Stand.

wintertree 19 Jan 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

We could see the cliffs of Whitby from Seaham today - about a 50 miles crow flies distance at low altitude.  They were quite high contrast and distinct so low altitude visibility was much more than 50 miles I’d say.

Think about timing - ideally early on so that the sun would be in the east I think so that it’s lighting the face of the mountains you’re looking at, and so it’s not in your view.

Post edited at 13:59
OP Blunderbuss 19 Jan 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> It is said that there is a point somewhere on Black Hill where you can see both Snowdonia and the Lakes (High Street) but it won't be from the trig point because the plateau edge is quite intrusive.

You can see High Street from Bleaklow Head, appears just to right of Pendle Hill according to Viewfinder Panoramas.

Dave the Rave 19 Jan 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

I can make out Moel Famau from the Roaches. It’s clear enough today.

Ive never seen Snowdonia from the Roaches but have never used binoculars.

From Moel Famau I regularly see the southern Lakes hills and I o M.

In reply to Blunderbuss:

Peakfinder agrees that the Welsh summits and HighStreet are both feasible from Bleaklow Head. 

Meanwhile I'm hoping for an especially clear night to be able to up my ultimate distance record from 12 to 23 million light years.......

Post edited at 15:40
 Lankyman 19 Jan 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

When I was a kid ranging over the Moors above Rivington and Chorley we could often see long distance to the Welsh hills, Black Combe in the Lakes and the Dales fells like Ingleborough and Whernside. That was in the 1970s when air quality probably wasn't as good as today?

Dan Arkle 19 Jan 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

I'd bet air quality is far better today than in the 1970s. 

phizz4 19 Jan 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

Not quite the same directions but you can see the Malvern Hills from Harborough Rocks on a clear evening, and that over 70 miles as the crow flies. Bleaklow is about 95 miles from Snowdon but is a higher vantage point than Harborough, so it should be possible.

In reply to phizz4:

You can see Snowdonia from as low as the 1000 ft contour in the right location on the fringes of the Peak.

Adam Long 20 Jan 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

I've seen Snowdon from the Roaches. The Carnedds are usually more obvious. The best photo of Snowdonia from the Peak I've seen was from Black Hill iirc, Tryfan was very obvious.

Lincoln Cathedral is fairly easy from the Eastern Moors around Sheffield, but you need binoculars. The towers of the Humber bridge can also be seen on a good day, once you know where they are the lights can often be seen at night.

Surprised about Malvern from Harborough, I'd have though from that far east Cannock Chase etc would be in the way. Had some good views of the Shropshire hills from there though.

Dave Hewitt 20 Jan 2020
In reply to Adam Long:

> Surprised about Malvern from Harborough, I'd have though from that far east Cannock Chase etc would be in the way. Had some good views of the Shropshire hills from there though.

JdeF gives the reverse view from Worcestershire Beacon - see third panel here:
http://viewfinderpanoramas.org/panoramas/ENG/MALVERN.gif

That has Shining Tor and Axe Edge visible at 81 and 80 miles respectively. Re Harboro, it depends whether the sightline just sneaks past the shoulder of the Cannock high ground as Adam says.

Snyggapa 20 Jan 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

I'd not been able to see Lundy from Baggy Point for so long that I was concerned that someone had nicked it, and that's only 17 miles.

Luckily they put it back at the weekend

andi turner 21 Jan 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

I've seen these a few times and photographed them too. They've always been visible to the naked eye. Snowdon from Morridge, the Roaches, Shutlingsloe, Bosley Cloud are reasonable common occurances.

https://flic.kr/p/DrBPpy

Although I once saw Snowdon from Five Clouds, some serious refraction that day!

Andy Long 22 Jan 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

According to Viewfinder, Jonathan de Ferranti's site, it's possible to see Snowdonia and the North Sea from Great Whernside.

Enty 22 Jan 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

Here you go. The mountains of Corsica from Nice - 200km:

http://emmanuel.varoquaux.free.fr/corse/

E

JimbotheScot 22 Jan 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

under 'ideal' conditions its apparently possible to see northern ireland from the summit of ben nevis

anyone had a bash?

Rigid Raider 22 Jan 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

Black Combe just north of Barrow is a prominent hill, that we can often see when adventuring around western Lancashire. Wikipedia says:

"The view from Black Combe is unique, a result of its isolated position to the south and west of the main Lake District fells. William Wordsworth claimed that "the amplest range of unobstructed prospect may be seen that British ground commands." Half the view is the glittering sea, with the Isle of Man seen clearly to the west, and the hills of Wales and Scotland seen as shadowy silhouettes.

On the seaward side views extend from the Cumbrian coast, and from Criffel, 49 miles to the north, a mountain on the Scottish coast near Dumfries, round to the Isle of Man, 45 miles due west, then round to Snowdon which may be seen on days of exceptionally good visibility, 85 miles to the south, to the coast of Lancashire. On the landward side; views include the Scafell Group and the Coniston Group of fells in the Lake District National Park, including four 3000-foot mountains: Skiddaw, Scafell, Scafell Pike and Helvellyn. To the east and south the Pennine Hills, the Forest of Bowland and Blackpool Tower are visible. Closer by, there are also good views over the Duddon Estuary, Millom and the new wind farm just offshore."

In reply to Blunderbuss:

One of my local 'you can see' views is from a small hill called Cockleroy above Linlithgow. You can see Arran in the West and Bass Rock in the East. It is 278 m high.

In reply to phizz4:

I once (in six years living in Brassington) saw the Snowdon group from Harborough, in mid summer - 94 miles away and more or less due west. Lliwedd has the most recognisable profile from that distance. Being due west, the equinoxes might provide the best opportunities for seeing Snowdon, which  then would be perfectly backlit at sunset. 

The Shropshire hills, on the other hand, are often visible from Harborough.

Andy Long 22 Jan 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

Since I moved to Shetland many years ago I've often wondered if we're the only part of the United Kingdom NOT visible from the UK mainland. It seems to be true at least in terms of inhabited areas. Of course there are some uninhabited islands like the Flannans which are hidden behind the Outer Hebrides. Even so, St Kilda is visible from Ben Eighe; as are Sule Sgeir and North Rona, from Ben Hope. Rockall is certainly not visible. Fitful Head, at the SW end of Shetland, might just be theoretically visible were it not hidden behind Orkney (it's 106 miles from mainland Scotland and 283m high) though I'm not sure. Fair Isle probably would be. And before anyone mentions it, the Channel Islands aren't part of the UK. Sorry to blether on...

Toerag 22 Jan 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

I've seen the Sella plateau from the Zugspitze - 74 miles according to Googlemaps. It was quite cool to be able to see across an entire country (Austria).

Toerag 22 Jan 2020
In reply to Andy Long:

>  And before anyone mentions it, the Channel Islands aren't part of the UK. Sorry to blether on...

They're also too low to see from the UK , although Alderney has a big dish receiver to pick up TV signals (I think) from the Isle of Wight (72miles) or Portland (56miles).

Post edited at 12:23
 Dan Arkle 22 Jan 2020
In reply to Enty:

Pah!  Here is the Ecrin from the Pyrenees - 443km

https://www.flickr.com/photos/markbret/albums/72157668339813284

Adam Long 22 Jan 2020
In reply to Andy Long:

>  St Kilda is visible from Ben Eighe

Amazing. Looking at viewfinderpanoramas.org confirms they're potentially visible from Beinn Alligin at 110 miles. Ben Eighe isn't listed but would not seem as well placed anyway, plus a bit further. Any idea if anyone has actually confirmed this? A quick google doesn't bring any hits.

GringoStarr 22 Jan 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

This summer I could quite clearly see the Forth Road Bridge from the top of Ben More (Crianlarich), while also clearly seeing Jura to the West. Quite cool seeing both sides of Scotland at once.

Andy Long 22 Jan 2020
In reply to Adam Long:

If you look at the panorama from Conachair you'll see Ben Eighe.

Also, just worked out that you can't see Shetland from the mainland. It's 248km (154miles) from the summit of Ben Hope (the only possible way that I can see) to Fitful Head. No go.

Toerag 22 Jan 2020
In reply to Toerag:

> >  And before anyone mentions it, the Channel Islands aren't part of the UK. Sorry to blether on...

> They're also too low to see from the UK , although Alderney has a big dish receiver to pick up TV signals (I think) from the Isle of Wight (72miles) or Portland (56miles).

Edit - Alderney <-> Chillerton Down in IoW - 72 miles.

TobyA 22 Jan 2020
In reply to Adam Long:

> Surprised about Malvern from Harborough, I'd have though from that far east Cannock Chase etc would be in the way. Had some good views of the Shropshire hills from there though.

Yeah, I guess because of the Cheshire plain and the Severn Valley, the Shropshire hills are quite prominent from the SW Peak. I walked along to Shining Tor for the first time back in the spring and was surprised how clear it was looking down to Shropshire (I'm from the top corner of Worcestershire and the nearby Clee Hills and Long Mynd were part of my youth!). The Wreakin was very prominent and IIRC you could see the radar equipment on the top of Titterstone Clee. That day I could see big welsh mountains clearly too, but I wasn't quite sure which ones I was looking at. 

Edit: Just thought 4th photo down in this https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/camping/sleeping_bags/therm-a-rest_hyperion... was taken middle of the summer from Titterstone Clee, so the probably Shining Tor and the SW Peak hills are the smudge off on the horizon!

Edit2: From Dave H's link http://viewfinderpanoramas.org/panoramas/ENG/CLEE_T.GIF you can see Shining Tor from Titterstone Clee - 65 miles away.

Post edited at 13:35
 Toerag 22 Jan 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

Horizon calculator:-

http://members.home.nl/7seas/radcalc.htm

TobyA 22 Jan 2020
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

> JdeF gives the reverse view from Worcestershire Beacon - see third panel here:http://viewfinderpanoramas.org/panoramas/ENG/MALVERN.gif

Very cool site in an early internet and geeky way!  

In reply to Blunderbuss:

On a good day you can see Lundy in the Bristol Channel (50ish miles to the north) and the Eddystone in the English Channel (30ish miles south east) from Kilmar Tor on Bodmin Moor

Iain Thow 22 Jan 2020
In reply to Adam Long:

I've seen St Kilda from Torridon, although my memory tells me it was from Liathach. Could have got that wrong though, it was a while ago. No question as to it being St Kilda, it's unmistakeable. I've also seen Donegal from Skye, but I'm told that had to involve some refraction. 

Iain Thow 22 Jan 2020
In reply to GringoStarr:

I've seen both Morven in Caithness and the Moorfoots from Ben Macdhui a few times. That's around a 200 mile span, most of Scotland lengthwise.

Mike-W-99 22 Jan 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

These guys take it to the extreme - https://beyond-horizons.org/

Most I’ve managed is 186km from Ben Macdui to Hart Fell. 

Enty 23 Jan 2020
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Great that!

When I'm on The Ventoux I often tell my guests that it's possible to see The Alps, Pyrenees and The Med at the same time.

Ventoux to Canigou is 292 and Ventoux to barre des Ecrin is 119km.

Cool!

E

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...