UKC

An Teallach advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AJK87 06 Aug 2020

Planning on doing An Teallach (clockwise) with a mate in a week or 2. Plan to do the bad step and stick to the crest as much as possible.

Neither of us are great climbers but both happy leading VD/S.

Can anyone advise on what to take rack wise to suit the rock, planning on just taking a 30m rope unless there is any reason to take a longer one?

Any other general advice welcome.

Cheers

Lankyman 06 Aug 2020
In reply to AJK87:

I've done the round twice (including with non-climbers) and don't recall needing a rope anywhere. It's a bit exposed in places but no more so than other Scottish ridges and the difficulties can be avoided.

Jon Read 06 Aug 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

I second that. You'll just curse the rope in your bag. You will choose the path suitable for yourselves; full enjoyment guaranteed whatever standard chosen.

girlymonkey 06 Aug 2020
In reply to AJK87:

If you are happy leading VD/S then it's a very pleasant scramble with no need for gear. 

We did it with my father-in-law as his final Munro, so we carried a bottle of fizz in the rucksack while doing it too to celebrate at the top! 

ebdon 06 Aug 2020
In reply to AJK87:

The hard bit is very short lived (but exposed) if you wanted a rope as little as 10m would be fine and a few medium nuts or cams and slings would see you right. But as others have said it's fine so unless you are very cautious you shouldn't need a rope.

In reply to AJK87:

Maybe do liatach instead if u don’t feel confident with an tellach

OP AJK87 06 Aug 2020
In reply to AJK87:

Thanks for all the replies.

Glad I asked, my sack will be a lot lighter now.

Depending on the conditions I may just take a short bit of half rope I have as a just in case rope and a very minimal rack. If the weather is perfect then I'll not bother with any of it.

Thanks

Mike-W-99 06 Aug 2020
In reply to AJK87:

Its also possible to bypass the first (& crux) buttress via a wee path on the left on the approach. Used it once when folk were pitching it and we weren't in the mood for waiting.

Post edited at 23:18
 Dave the Rave 06 Aug 2020
In reply to AJK87:

The bit that spooked   me was the scree up to Sgurr Fiona from the first Munro. A slip and you’re a gonna if you don’t stop.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...