UKC

Another excuse to spend time on the high tops

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Iain Thow 19 Jul 2019

A couple of winters ago there was a thread here which mentioned that someone had visited every summit over 3000 ft with at least one 50 foot contour ring on the old 1" maps and the question was asked "has anyone done the same with the 1:50000 maps and how many are there?". I make it 898 Scottish ones above 900m, with another 47 in England, Wales and Ireland and got round to finishing them last week (no guarantees that someone hasn't done it before, it's an obvious idea). Credit to the OS, they do all exist as features on the ground, although some are pretty minor. There are some great little tops too though, try the NE Tower of Stob an t-Sluichd on Beinn a'Bhuird for instance. It's really just an excuse to mess aroud on the high tops and isn't as big an undertaking as you might think - 600 odd are or have been Munro tops and many of the others are naturally taken in when you're following a ridge. If anyone would like a copy of the list as an excel file (titled the SCRANs, Single Contour Rings Above 900m) then message me. 

Removed User 19 Jul 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

So that's where you've been

I must have done a fare few of these.

OP Iain Thow 19 Jul 2019
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

Hi Mark, nearly all the ones I had left were in the Gorms or Glen Lyon, which is why I haven't been anywhere near Lismore. I would suspect you'll easily have done 800+.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...