UKC

Ben Alder Level Crossing, Dalwhinnie : Scotways survey

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yorkshire_lad2 24 May 2022

E-mail received from Scotways (I am a member)

You will be aware of Network Rail’s unilateral closure of the Ben Alder level crossing at Dalwhinnie. As part of our efforts to safely reopen the crossing, ScotWays has prepared a questionnaire to gather living memory information about the use of the level crossing to access long-distance through routes west of Dalwhinnie. If you have used the level crossing in this way, you can help by completing our questionnaire: https://scotways.com/dalwhinnie/ . If you know of others who have used the route please share this weblink with them, or ask them to contact us directly either by emailing us at dalwhinnie at scotways.com .

https://scotways.com/dalwhinnie/

(Hope UKC'ers won't mind this posting forwarded from Scotways: thought it was in a good cause and of interest.  Apologies to UKCers who may have received it direct).

tlouth7 25 May 2022
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

I can't help as I have never used the crossing, but I was quite impressed with ScotRail's Q&A report. Clearly they are using 'elf and safety to push this through without much consideration for the negative impacts, but the person answering the questions communicated their position effectively without weaselling out.

It is clear that a legal ruling declaring the existence of a right of way would put them in a genuinely difficult position.

https://scotlandsrailway.com/assets/site/Ben-Alder-level-crossing-closure-Q...

In many ways it reminds me of the ongoing Salisbury Crags access issue - the land managers responding to a perceived risk that has not actually occurred by drastically restricting access.

ScraggyGoat 25 May 2022
In reply to tlouth7:

Interesting that Scotrail acknowledge being engaged by the Ramblers and Scotways but don’t mention Mountaineering Scotland; damned by their silence and inaction again!!

From a private transported hill goers perspective the closure is not an inconvenience, given the underpass. I haven’t used the crossing for years. If you get the train it’s additional distance when you can see, & taste the day ahead from the platform.

For locals it’s a bigger issue. Dalwhinnie is sandwiched between the A9 and the railway. If a resident wants a twenty - thirty minute circular to clear their head, walk the dog ect the crossing - underpass combination is the only half decent option. For residents on the access road to the underpass they will get more traffic, noise and potential inconsiderate parking from non local users (yes you can park; but charged for at the cafe).

From a legal point of view it will have to get fought out, and from a precedence point of view the lack of concerted MS involvement (whom appear to be brushing their shoulder’s of it and saying the Ramblers are ‘on it’) does not instill confidence.

Quiet simply would hillgoers in Scotland that don’t need to be told the red needle points North, how to crap in the woods, that snow blows in the wind and it gets dark I winter ect, and have no interest in competition climbing be far better represented by the Ramblers?  on current evidence they appear to be miles ahead of MS.

Post edited at 11:58
 rif 25 May 2022
In reply to tlouth7:

> .... I was quite impressed with ScotRail's Q&A report

But it contains a highly misleading factual error: the underpass alternative isn't "only 200m to the south". It's slightly over 500m from the level crossing even when measured along the railway (on OS maps). And for anyone starting from the recently-enlarged traditional parking area by the level crossing, the underpass is over 1500m away by foot or bike -- i.e. almost 2 miles extra for anyone walking or cycling towards Ben Alder and back.

The closure of the Dalwhinnie crossing sets a worrying precedent for other hill-access crossings: Dalnaspidal, Balsporran, Craig, Achnashellach, just to name the first few that come to mind.

tlouth7 25 May 2022
In reply to rif:

Now that does put a rather different spin on their position! Suddenly what is implied to be a minor detour to a viable alternative is instead a significant increase in the day's walking.

ScraggyGoat 25 May 2022
In reply to rif:

Not to mention the slightly false assertion that the underpass has no obstructions to disabled access. It has a single arm automatic barrier, with a kissing gate to one side.  You could probably limbo under it in a wheel chair (assuming upper body flexibility) but not dignified, or press the intercom button (presumably to the estate) and hope they answer and raise.

Harry Jarvis 25 May 2022
In reply to rif:

> But it contains a highly misleading factual error: the underpass alternative isn't "only 200m to the south". It's slightly over 500m from the level crossing even when measured along the railway (on OS maps). And for anyone starting from the recently-enlarged traditional parking area by the level crossing, the underpass is over 1500m away by foot or bike -- i.e. almost 2 miles extra for anyone walking or cycling towards Ben Alder and back.

It seems to me that if ScotRail want to encourage use of the underpass, they should facilitate free parking at or near the underpass. I haven't kept up with the comings and goings - has this possibility been raised? 

ScraggyGoat 25 May 2022
In reply to rif:

‘closure of the Dalwhinnie crossing sets a worrying precedent for other hill-access crossings: Dalnaspidal, Balsporran, Craig, Achnashellach, just to name the first few that come to mind.’

Hence MS clearly taking a back seat is worrying…..

Cog 25 May 2022
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

> Interesting that Scotrail acknowledge being engaged by the Ramblers and Scotways but don’t mention Mountaineering Scotland; damned by their silence and inaction again!!

I was told various groups have all been working together with MS on this.

rif 25 May 2022
 DannyC 25 May 2022
In reply to Cog:

(Disclosure: I'm Ramblers Scotland's communications manager!)

Yes. Mountaineering Scotland is playing a very active role in the campaigning around Dalwhinnie, as well as other nationally-important access issues such as the Radical Road closure.

Last year's joint petition was led by Ramblers Scotland but supported by Mountaineering Scotland, Scottish Canoe Association, ScotWays, British Horse Society, Cycling UK in Scotland and the Munro Society. It was signed by more than 9,000 people and it helped us secure a face-to-face meeting with NR bosses.

The follow-up open letter to Alex Hynes, managing director of Scotland's Railway, was signed by representatives of Ramblers Scotland, Mountaineering Scotland, Kate Forbes SNP MSP, Ariane Burgess Scottish Greens MSP, The Munro Society, Ben Alder Estate, Cairngorms Business Partnership, ScotWays, The Highland Council, Cycling UK in Scotland, Scottish Canoe Association, The British Horse Society, Dalwhinnie Old School Hostel, Dalwhinnie Community Council and John Muir Trust.

It's rare for an access issue to unite such wide-ranging interests. It's been heartening to see so many different organisations campaigning on various fronts to get the gates unlocked, particularly as the unilateral closure sets such a terrible precedent for elsewhere. 

**If you've used the crossing, please do complete ScotWays' questionnaire!**

The evidence gathered through that survey has the potential to play a major role in this important campaign.

Cheers, 
Danny Carden. 

ScraggyGoat 25 May 2022
In reply to DannyC:

I wouldn’t expect a communications manager to be anything other than diplomatic about a partner organisation.  

I wish you every success with your campaign.

In reply to DannyC:

> The follow-up open letter to Alex Hynes, managing director of Scotland's Railway, was signed by representatives of Ramblers Scotland, Mountaineering Scotland, Kate Forbes SNP MSP, Ariane Burgess Scottish Greens MSP, The Munro Society, Ben Alder Estate, Cairngorms Business Partnership, ScotWays, The Highland Council, Cycling UK in Scotland, Scottish Canoe Association, The British Horse Society, Dalwhinnie Old School Hostel, Dalwhinnie Community Council and John Muir Trust.

Is this level crossing a Network Rail thing i.e. UK Government or a Scotrail thing i.e. now nationalised by Scottish Government. 

I can see Network Rail not giving a sh*t and applying inappropriate policies in the Highlands but it seems really strange that a nationalised company controlled by the Scottish Government wouldn't sit up and take note when they get a letter signed by the Finance Secretary, the local Green MSP and Highland Council.

In reply to tlouth7:

> I can't help as I have never used the crossing, but I was quite impressed with ScotRail's Q&A report. Clearly they are using 'elf and safety to push this through without much consideration for the negative impacts, but the person answering the questions communicated their position effectively without weaselling out.

> It is clear that a legal ruling declaring the existence of a right of way would put them in a genuinely difficult position.

It is pretty clear from that letter that this is Network Rail acting unilaterally and on the principle that everything has to be the same across the UK rail network, which is a ridiculous principle when you think about some of the lines in the Highlands through sparsely populated areas with very few trains compared with lines in densely populated areas in England with frequent trains. 

From their strident language Network Rail are a UK agency and aren't interested in special cases for Scotland or the views of the Scottish Government.

It is yet another issue that would be solved instantly by independence. If Richie Sunak asked Network Rail to keep a level crossing open in his constituency they'd sit up and beg. Kate Forbes, the finance secretary for Scotland asks them to look at one and she gets ignored despite ScotRail being nationalised. After independence Network Rail managers in Scotland would pay the same level of attention to the government in Edinburgh or they'd find themselves unemployed. 

Post edited at 23:22

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...