UKC

Camp sites Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tim Davies 16 Sep 2020

Looking for accommodation for next week. 
Are any campsites open in the highlands ? Everywhere seems shut, hostels groups only, B&Bs extortionate. A mate up there now is struggling to find anywhere on the west coast. 

In reply to Tim Davies:

https://www.sandscaravanandcamping.co.uk/

Loved this place personally.   Not been for years though .

Dave the Rave 16 Sep 2020
In reply to Tim Davies:

Silver sands at Traigh near Arisaig is open too.

https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=5162

Dark-Cloud 16 Sep 2020
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

We stayed there last year, i was a bit "meh" with it, although it did rain horizontally for 3 days straight so we beat a retreat half way through a week....

Removed User 16 Sep 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

It's certainly a big site so not to everyone's taste but it does have the advantage of being beside a lovely beach.

I saw tents at the Achiltiebuie site when I was there a few weeks ago so presumably that's a possibility.

Dark-Cloud 16 Sep 2020
In reply to Removed User:

Never got to the beach due to the ferocious wind and horizontal rain, rode up to the Rua Reidh Lighthouse and back in the slight weather window we had which was lovely.

In reply to Removed User:

> It's certainly a big site so not to everyone's taste but it does have the advantage of being beside a lovely beach.

Your pretty much on the beach , amongst the dunes,  sections of it are.  

Also plenty of facilities  and space to spread out .

I liked it .   Not sure why someone felt the need to say they didn't think much when they offered nothing themselves. 

Post edited at 13:12
Removed User 16 Sep 2020
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

> I liked it .   Not sure why someone felt the need to say they didn't think much when they offered nothing themselves. 

I guess that spending three days in the pissing rain in your tent tends to tarnish one's experience...

spenser 16 Sep 2020
In reply to Tim Davies:

The toilets are the Kingshouse were open 2 weeks ago, loads of people there over the bank holiday weekend.

Ben Nevis Holiday Park was open for small vans too, if you're a yorkshireman you may find the price a bit too much.

Grey Corries Lodge Bunkhouse was open, no kitchen facilities and private rooms only but pretty reasonable at £35 per night for a 2 person room.

Tobermory Campsite was open, decent price, good facilities and walking distance from a damn good distillery!

deepsoup 16 Sep 2020
In reply to Tim Davies:

I struggled to find a campsite up Oban way recently and didn't want to risk pissing off the locals and contributing to current problems with "wild" camping spots being oversubscribed and a bit abused.  (Besides which, who wants to camp in tent or van where jobbies await the unwary boot everywhere and the undergrowth is festooned with litter and bits of bog roll.)

I ended up in the 'Backpackers Plus' hostel on the edge of town.  Their non-ensuite private rooms are really nice, easily as good as the average B&B.  Bathrooms and the shared kitchen could potentially be tricky to maintain proper social distancing if the place is packed, but I just had a look and while it's busy at weekends it seems largely deserted the rest of the week.  A bit more than you want to pay if you're looking for a camp site probably, but V good value at £25 per night for a single room or sole use of a double.

ScraggyGoat 16 Sep 2020
In reply to Tim Davies:

Some are open, most require booking and payment in advance and no refunds, and best to check in advance anyway as some may be calling the season's end, or have other restrictions in place to manage the covid risk as best they can. A few that I know have been open for tents:

Durness (but reluctantly), Port a Bhiagh, Dornoch, Roybridge (limited numbers), Sand, Braemar, Cannich (limited numbers), ?Lochcarron (unsure about this one).

Post edited at 15:27
 henwardian 16 Sep 2020
In reply to spenser:

> The toilets are the Kingshouse were open 2 weeks ago, 

Hold the phone!!

Are you saying they have toilets at the Kingshouse that are no longer guarded by pitchfork-weilding employees? When did this happen?! My memory of the place is that they were perfectly happy to take your beer and dinner money the night before but when it came to the morning after it was iron curtain time.

Edit: Or did the resulting multiplying toilet paper monster abscess threaten to burst forth completely from the woods and engulf the hotel and there was nothing for it but to fight a pitched battle (presumably with the aforementioned forks).

Post edited at 15:56
 spenser 16 Sep 2020
In reply to henwardian:

There were plenty of people wandering in and out of them at various times of evening / morning (specifically the bunkhouse toilets, not the ones in the hotel). 

Wainers44 16 Sep 2020
In reply to Tim Davies:

Last couple of weeks we stayed at....

Red Squirrel Glencoe 

Uig Camping Skye

Oakland Aviemore

Pennygown Mull

All open and all good

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...