UKC

Coast to coast walk mid September

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RX-78 16 Aug 2021

Thinking of doing a long distance walk in mid September. Originally it was going to be in the alps, but thinking of staying in the UK so no hassle over crossing borders and covid.

Would the c2c be ok mid September? My wife commented that a lot of the pictures online look like damp or wet days out. I don't mind a bit of rain but not walking for days in it. Otherwise might try to South West coastal path?

Post edited at 22:02
 dunc56 16 Aug 2021
In reply to RX-78:

Michael fish says it will be fine …

Andypeak 16 Aug 2021
In reply to RX-78:

It's always a gamble. I did it in September 2017 and it was a bit of a wash out, however it was still an amazing walk and.i loved every minute of it. I've known people who have done it since in September and had glorious sunshine every day. 

Up until covid I tried to do 2 long distance walks a year and I always found that may or September were the best months. 

OP RX-78 17 Aug 2021
In reply to dunc56:

Fish tend to like water, so...

(I am old enough to get the reference)

Post edited at 09:22
OP RX-78 17 Aug 2021
In reply to Andypeak:

Thanks Andy, I guess it is a gamble, like any walking holiday in the UK! Do I feel lucky??

yorkshire_lad2 17 Aug 2021
In reply to RX-78:

If you're looking for accommodation e.g. B&Bs, it may be tricky getting one-night stays for one person, especially at weekends.  The Dales and the Lakes are fairly busy.  September might be better after the schools go back.  You shouldn't have such a problem if you are tenting.

SouthernSteve 17 Aug 2021
In reply to RX-78:

Unless its May or mid-winter I would go for it. A wet holiday is still a holiday.

Accommodation might be tricky as everywhere is so booked up.

Lankyman 17 Aug 2021
In reply to SouthernSteve:

> Accommodation might be tricky as everywhere is so booked up.

Yes. It's one of the most popular long distance routes in the UK with walkers coming from all over the world to do. Obviously, less of an issue just now but native walkers may be taking up some of the slack? Many folks wait until September thinking it will be less busy than when the school holidays are on.

In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

> If you're looking for accommodation e.g. B&Bs, it may be tricky getting one-night stays for one person, especially at weekends.  The Dales and the Lakes are fairly busy.  September might be better after the schools go back.  You shouldn't have such a problem if you are tenting.

Me and a few buds were looking at B&Bs/hotels/AirBnB for a Lakes visit mid September. We gave ourselves loads of time, weren't fussy on location. Not only were the choices minimal, the costs were horrendous.

Pedro50 17 Aug 2021
In reply to SouthernSteve:

> Unless its May or mid-winter I would go for it. A wet holiday is still a holiday.

We did it May, never rained never got wet feet. -5c one night in Shap though.

Ceiriog Chris 17 Aug 2021
In reply to Pedro50:

> We did it May, never rained never got wet feet. -5c one night in Shap though.

Wow, I did it in May and it  rained every day until we left the Dales, apart from one day in the Lakes where it hailed ! still enjoyed every minute of though, used hostels in the main but camped a few nights as well

SouthernSteve 17 Aug 2021
In reply to Pedro50:

Sorry, had an exam this morning and was obviously speaking rubbish when I wrote this. May would be my best bet for being dry also.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...