UKC

Crib Goch North Ridge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 montyjohn 26 Jan 2023

When it warms up a bit, I'm planning on doing Crib Goch in reverse and heading down the North Ridge.

I've never been on the north ridge before.

Is there anything I need to be aware of, or is it all of a similar difficulty and exposure to the main ridge?

In reply to montyjohn:

The north ridge itself is a bit less difficult and exposed than the main ridge, but still airy and a nice (and quiet) bit of the hill.

Where are you heading after?

Continuing north off the end of the ridge into the pass you've got crags like Dinas Mot to avoid.

Or you could hang a left into Cwm Glas, which is really scenic.

Or if returning to Pen y Pass, there's a brilliant traverse path that cuts back right across the lower east face of Crib Goch towards Bwlch y Moch - a wee bit exposed, but not scrambling. I can't see that on a map but remember it being very obvious on the ground (perhaps a local expert will have advice)

broken spectre 26 Jan 2023
In reply to montyjohn:

It's been a long time for me also so take the following with a healthy pinch of salt but as I recall, there's a scree slope not far down the ridge to the left that you exit down. The going from summit to where you exit the ridge is pretty easy. I think you then cross the plateau, finding the path to the right of Cryn Las, following this down to the road. Thinking about it now ( I've wondered about this before), is it even possible to descend the full length of the ridge (ie not descent the screes)? I suspect it leads to impassable/ dangerous territory 

Edit: Thanks Dan, it appears there are ways through , further down the ridge 

Post edited at 09:07
 tallsteve 26 Jan 2023
In reply to montyjohn:

> Is there anything I need to be aware of, or is it all of a similar difficulty and exposure to the main ridge?

No.  Its a bit steep and exposed either side at the very top just after you drop off but less so than the rest of the crib.  It then quickly gets easier.  There is a path down to the Cwm.

When you reach Cwm Uchaf you don't need to pass Llyn Glass to the ascent path.  Just take the first proper stream you come across and follow it down hill to the right.  Checkout this map:
https://www.bing.com/maps?FORM=Z9LH2&cp=53.080492%7E-4.059834&lvl=1...

tallsteve 26 Jan 2023
In reply to montyjohn:

When doing Crib Goch in Reverse the tricky bit is finding the drop off and route past the first pinnacle (last when you're doing it the normal way).

Descend Crib-y-Ddysgl to Bwlch Coch, then as you climb the first part of Crib Goch go to the TOP and drop over there.  Look for the cream and crampon scratched rock.  This drops you easily down onto the traverse ledge heading rightwards (East).  Its obvious from the East side but needs a little searching from the West side.  If you're lucky someone will be coming up it.

Don't be tempted to drop to the right, its doable but trickier.

Post edited at 09:16
 TobyA 26 Jan 2023
In reply to montyjohn:

A couple of years ago after we had done Crazy Pinnacle Face (Winter) (V 5) we were probably chatting too much and started walking down the North Ridge instead of down the normal way off/on to Crib Goch. So from memory the top of the ridge is actually more obvious going down than the normal way (East Ridge? Never actually feels very ridgey to me...), but that was in quite heavy snow conditions.

I have been up the North Ridge once having parked down by the boulders in the pass. I don't remember finding my way up to the ridge as difficult at all, just steep and hard work!

Spready 26 Jan 2023
In reply to montyjohn:

It's a route I often use to return to Cwm Glas after Clogwyn Y Person Arete.. 

As it takes a lot less footfall, the top of the Ridge is a lot looser. Take your time and check every hand / foot placement. 

bowls 26 Jan 2023
In reply to montyjohn:

The top 50m of the ridge is very narrow and is probably more narrow than any part of the main ridge/East Ridge, it can also be a little loose in places, but after the first 50m it eases and you pretty much have a path on a ridge:

A few points:

1.) Don't be tempted to descend the scree on the left too early, you will find it more bouldery and not pleasant, keep on the ridge  until a reasonable scree path appears, maybe 400m after leaving the main Crib Goch Ridge

2.) There are a few options to get down from Cwm Uchaf

• Scramble down a waterfall which is loose, but doable, this is probably the most direct option
  • Carry on further East for about 400m past the initial waterfall and make sure you are well clear of the cliffs of Craig y Rhaedr, and then descend via steep grass/scree (there are a couple of options a few hundred metres apart)
  • Carry on further East and pass Llyn Glas (With its delightful island) and head beyond Clogywn Y Person Arete and then pick up the normal path from upper Cwm Glas (with some very easy scrambling) down to the Llanberis Pass

Cwn Uchaf can be a confusing place in mist, it is a beautiful quiet area though, even in summer when the other side of the mountain is teeming with people

OP montyjohn 26 Jan 2023
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

> Where are you heading after?

I'll be heading down to Nant Perys so will definitely be looking for the left to Cwm Glas. This left route looks really well defined in google satellite view so between that and GPS we'll be sure to avoid Dinas Mot.

I hadn't really appreciated how impassable they are so that's useful to know. Thanks

OP montyjohn 26 Jan 2023
In reply to tallsteve:

> When doing Crib Goch in Reverse the tricky bit is finding the drop off and route past the first pinnacle (last when you're doing it the normal way).

I'm always surprised how little of the route I seem to remember when going the normal way and always find myself second guessing bits of the route and having to double back.

I think I find myself looking up at a steep bit and I think, it wasn't this tricky last time, I must have gone around it. So I'll start trying to find a route round before quickly deciding nope, that's definitely not the way.

I'm expecting it to be worse in reverse. Adds to the fun.

OP montyjohn 26 Jan 2023
In reply to bowls:

> Don't be tempted to descend the scree on the left too early

Thanks, it at least looks well defined by the widest scree route in satellite view

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.0804736,-4.0556575,148m/data=!3m1!1e3

I can see the safe route through the cliffs. Thanks for the tip.

OP montyjohn 26 Jan 2023
In reply to montyjohn:

Apologies for commenting on the downvotes, but a lot of the responses have been downvoted by somebody despite the responses appearing very valid and helpful. Heck, my opening question has been downvoted.

This thread isn't going to just help me, there will be plenty of people reading after I've been and gone.

If you think what's being said is wrong, please say so.

Mike Peacock 26 Jan 2023
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

>

> Or if returning to Pen y Pass, there's a brilliant traverse path that cuts back right across the lower east face of Crib Goch towards Bwlch y Moch - a wee bit exposed, but not scrambling. I can't see that on a map but remember it being very obvious on the ground (perhaps a local expert will have advice)

That would be the Fox's Path. I've always found it very non-obvious to locate, but it's there once you find it.
https://snowdoninfo.com/crib-goch-north-ridge-and-foxs-path/

Post edited at 12:40
 Bulls Crack 02 Feb 2023
In reply to montyjohn:

Easier than the main ridge but very shattered, and not as fine. Quieter though. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...