UKC

Culra approaches, and parking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Planning a trip into the Culra area next month- assume the bothy is still out of bounds so will camp. Looking for advice on approaches- will be coming in on mountain bikes, but my memory of the Dalwhinnie approach from walking it years back is that it wasn’t the most interesting of routes. Has anyone approached from the north east, following the river Pattack? Looks like it would be longer, but perhaps a more scenic way to go? And if so, where to park- looks like there’s a forestry commission car park at Feagour, has anyone parked overnight there?

And if we decide on the Dalwhinnie approach after all, any advice on where to park for 2-3 nights there? 

thanks for any advice or suggestions, 

cheers

gregor

ebdon 15 Apr 2022
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

I did it from Dalwhinnie few weeks ago, it's fine to leave your car in the walkers car park there, on bikes its easier to follow the short diversion rather than try to cross the now locked level crossing. I thought that way in was pretty spectacular with fantastic views to Ben Alder.

Culra is unlocked but full of asbestos so not recommended.

On a separate occasion I've cycled part of the other approach, it's also very scenic and a totally fine cycle. Allthough I seem to recall some hydro works in the area which may affect it now? I think I read somwhere there may be a detour to some waterfalls somewhere? I parked on a layby on the A86, that one wasnt an overnighter but I'm sure you car would be as safe there as parked anywhere.

Fat Bumbly2 15 Apr 2022
In reply to ebdon:

There is a new hydro loch on the Pattack. It has taken the old road out but a new one has been built. No problem

(I lost a car in the end parking for the Pattack in a lay-by on the A86. Was rear ended while camping up the glen.  Could happen anywhere though.)  

In reply to ebdon:

Thanks Ebdon- will probably take the Dalwhinnie route- where is the walkers’ car park? It’s years since I’ve been through the place…

In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

That’s a bit grim! Not the end to the trip you’d want! 

what’s the hydro scheme like? Sensitivity done, or a mess…?

ebdon 15 Apr 2022

By the station, check out walkhighlands for loads of detailed info. 

The hydro scheme involed a massive surfaced road a few years ago, but they were in the midst of development. Hopefully its calmed down a bit now, the price of progress!

kinley2 16 Apr 2022

Robin went in from Kinloch Laggan - see below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D-FY6Ryjxk&t=339s

Fat Bumbly2 16 Apr 2022

The road is a bit of an eyesore - a shock after the two-ply but the loch fits in nicely.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...