UKC

Dumgoyne hill

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 01 Aug 2020

Up it today for the first time. Great hill and viewpoint.

Whatever...anyone know its composition? Seemed mainly some kind of volcanic agglomerate?

In reply to Flinticus:

Used to work up near there, and yes it's a stunning lump. The local I worked for informed me that it was a volcanic plug. That's the extent of my geological input I'm afraid! 

Tell me you went to the distillery (Glencoyne?). Not a drinker anymore but they had some excellent stuff on offer. 

Myfyr Tomos 01 Aug 2020
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

Can't help with the geology either I'm afraid but agree about the whisky. The 12 year old is very light and fragrant. 

Post edited at 20:16

StuPoo2 01 Aug 2020
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

Volcanic plug.

distillery is still closed (COVID).

parking tricky at the moment. Police have set up a lot of cones. Maybe worth considering the alternate walk in from Strathblane.

cheers

https://geologyglasgow.org.uk/docs/017__074__publications__Campsie_Glen_lea...

Post edited at 21:03
OP Flinticus 01 Aug 2020
In reply to StuPoo2:

There was some event on at the distillery today...C19 spreader event?? 

Amyway parked in a layby further up the road and walked back to use the normal approach. It wasn't a planned walk at all. Saw it from Carbeth and decided to go, seeing as I never had before despite itd prominence looking north from Queens Park near me.

StuPoo2 01 Aug 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Was closed for me mid week .... looks like you got first day back!

https://www.glengoyne.com/news-events/glengoyne-distillery-reopens-visitors...

it’s a nice wee hill .... steep!

The walk over the back to take in Garloch hill and the Ballayan Tops makes for a nice extension.

daftdazza 02 Aug 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Yeah it's a great hill, and it's worth going over to the little lump next to it called dumfoyne, the views back to dumgoyne and loch Lomond are spectacular on a nice day, definitely a good spot, as others said definitely worth going further to earl seat. 

Iain Thow 02 Aug 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Have you come across the BGS Map viewer? Brilliant resource.

http://mapapps.bgs.ac.uk/geologyofbritain/home.html

According to it Dumgoyne was formed about 300 my ago by multiple eruptions of viscous and gaseous magma reaching the surface and exploding with the release of pressure,  producing lots of shattered pyroclastic material. Later erosion (especially ice) then removed the looser outer parts. So "volcanic agglomerate" and "volcanic plug"are both right.

OP Flinticus 02 Aug 2020
In reply to Iain Thow:

Perfect. Thanks.

kathrync 03 Aug 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

I live just a little way down the road and I can see Dumgoyne from my back garden.  Lovely little hill. Nice steep pull onto the summit, and then you can plod onwards to Earls Seat which is always a nice extension. I'm glad you found parking - it's been a nightmare round there recently!

Yes, volcanic plug.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...