UKC

Fell running the Snowdonian Hewitts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Peacock 21 Jul 2020

Perhaps a bit of a niche question (combining fellrunning and hill bagging), but does anyone know if anyone has done a continuous round of the Hewitts (or 2000ft tops) in Snowdonia National Park?

Matt Podd 21 Jul 2020
In reply to Mike Peacock:

It would be a beast, there are loads of them all the way down to the Cadair Idris area. I'm slowly walking all the 2000ft tops in Wales and there are 235 on my list - only 35 to go.

Try asking on the FRA forum.

OP Mike Peacock 21 Jul 2020
In reply to Matt Podd:

Wow, that's quite the undertaking. I've done the Hewitts but never bothered getting into the Nuttalls or anything similar. What criteria are you using for the tops (prominence, etc)?

Anyway, no idea how many Hewitts there are in the NP, but I guess it includes Glyderau, Snowdon group, Carneddau, Nantlle and Hebog hills, Rhinogydd, Arenig, some of the Moelwyns and Ffestiniog hills, Hirnants, the Aran hills, Dovey Hills, Cadair and the Tarrens.

In reply to Matt Podd:

> It would be a beast, there are loads of them all the way down to the Cadair Idris area. I'm slowly walking all the 2000ft tops in Wales and there are 235 on my list - only 35 to go.

> Try asking on the FRA forum.

That's genuinely fantastic. All the best of luck to you on completing that 

Matt Podd 22 Jul 2020

I'm using a list in "The Welsh 2000ft Summits" by Robert Jones which includes all tops. Been at it for years, but have increased my pace recently. I was hoping to finish them this year, and managed a trip to climb all the Berwyns in early March,but Covid....

Some of the Mid Wales ones are a bit obscure with miles of bog and no path to get to an insignificant bump, but some are superb.

arjh 22 Jul 2020

There are about 88 Hewitts in the NP area, give or take a few which are right on the boundary.  There are 5-6 of the Moelwynion which are within the 'Blaenau pocket' and therefore outside the NP and the main Berwyn range/Foel Goch near Bala are outside too, but otherwise pretty much every Hewitt summit from the Tarrens northwards is included.  

OP Mike Peacock 23 Jul 2020
In reply to arjh:

Thanks - I hadn't sat down and counted them properly. It would certainly be an impressive undertaking.

Iain Thow 29 Jul 2020

It's only half of that (and walking rather than running) but back in 1982 I did a round of all the 2000 foot summits with 100 foot drop (so basically pre-metric Hewitts, about 40 tops IIRC) in the Berwyns, Arans, Dyfi Forest, Cader, Rhobell Fawr group, Rhinogs and Arenigs. Took 8 days so I certainly didn't break any speed records, and it wasn't quite all self-propelled as I got a bus from Dolgellau to Traws to start the Rhinog traverse, and hitched a lift to start the Arenigs. 7 of the 8 days were perfect weather, brilliant trip - waking up above the clouds by the lochan on top of Glasgwm probably the highlight. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...