UKC

Garmin eTrex 10 - waypoint downloads

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gammarus 28 Oct 2020

I use haroldstreet.org.uk to log hills, but I can't get my head round how to download waypoints onto my veteran eTrex 10. Any help would be appreciated - manually entering 541 Birkett waypoints is a bit of a pain. Thanks.

In reply to gammarus:

Connect your eTrex to a PC using a USB cable. When you switch it on I think it asks you something about connecting it as a drive rather than a GPS (or similar). Download the waypoints from Harold street as a GPX file. Copy that file over to your GPS using Windows File Explorer. It needs to go in a particular directory, which I think is quite obvious but I can check if you like. 

Post edited at 18:14
OP gammarus 28 Oct 2020
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

OK - I did all that, but I can't find any of the downloaded waypoints on the eTrex.

In reply to gammarus:

Which directory did you put them in on the eTrex?

OP gammarus 28 Oct 2020

in Garmin > GPX

In reply to gammarus:

Which file was it from haroldstreet? I’ll try it on my eTrex tomorrow and see if I can find out what’s going on, unless someone else comes along in the meantime. 

OP gammarus 28 Oct 2020

It was listed on the left of the screen under "Downloads: GPX Birketts".

Thanks for your help

In reply to gammarus:

Just tried it and it worked for me. I did as above, switched the ETrex off and on, went to Waypoint Manager and they were all there starting with Binsey.

The eTrex can be slow to write to, so make sure it's finished before you eject it from the USB port.

Post edited at 20:08
 Frank R. 29 Oct 2020
In reply to gammarus:

Load it into Garmin BaseCamp app first and send it to the device from there. The directory you're saving it to might be wrong. From the app I can always make sure I only have the one GPX file on it I need and delete everything else from the unit. Even though BaseCamp is a mess to work with.

But if you are downloading the whole ticklist, is it just 541 Birketts as single waypoint each, or with their associated routes? e-Trex 10 has very limited memory, not only just 8 megabytes, but limited by absolute number of routes, trackpoints and waypoints as well. Make sure you are not over that limit!

Frank R. 29 Oct 2020
In reply to gammarus:

"When sending or creating files for an eTrex 10, keep in mind the following limitations:

500 GPX files

1,000 waypoints

2,000 geocaches

50 routes, 250 points per route

100 saved tracks

10,000 points per track

Ability to add maps unsupported

Each GPX file can contain a mixture of waypoints, geocaches, routes and tracks. If the GPX file containing a waypoint or geocache is deleted, the waypoint will no longer be available on device.

When utilizing routes, only 50 points can be used for on road navigation."

So, if you have some GPX files or waypoints already saved on the device, you could get over the 1000 waypoints limit with the Birketts easily, even if the list contained just a single waypoint for each Birkett. Might check that too. Especially if the limits added up together (i.e. 1000 waypoints but only 500 waypoints & 25 routes).

Anyway, with the eTrex10 limitations, it's usually better to use BaseCamp for all your waypoints and lists, clean the device and load only the few waypoints or routes you might do in one trip.

OP gammarus 29 Oct 2020

Got it! All the Birketts are now there on the eTrex. Many thanks for your help.

Steve

OP gammarus 29 Oct 2020
In reply to Frank R.:

Thanks for that Frank. I've just been saving waypoints, not routes. I'm not familiar with BaseCamp, so I'll use one of these rainy evenings to check it out.

Steve

In reply to gammarus:

> Got it! All the Birketts are now there on the eTrex. Many thanks for your help.

It’s a pleasure Steve.

Frank R. 29 Oct 2020
In reply to gammarus:

Glad you got it working! My advice about the memory was probably superfluous - you'd have to really try to get even that memory full in normal use, but sometimes it's the little quirks and forgotten limits that get you I use the eTrex to save my tracks and load it with a more detailed B&W map for the area I go to, so I get to the limit more quickly if I don't clean it before each use.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...