UKC

Glenridding Zip Wire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
charlie out 08 Oct 2014

Do you winter climb on Helvellyn & its surrounding crags & valleys?

This might well be a reality!

Glenridding Zip Wire - 4 lines, 1 mile from the top of the valet to the bottom.

20'000 + projected visitors per year, new car park in Glenridding.

Overloaded Ullswater road, lots of traffic.

Once quite valley, probably the most beautiful way to climb Striding & Swirral Edge, plus the main way to do so, could be turned into a screaming valley, where plenty of thrill seekers pay big money to have a one time adrenaline hit & then go home..

Should this type of attraction be in a beautiful valley in the Lakes?

Don't like the idea? Email/FB me to see if you can help. Planning application is not in place yet, but if Mike Turner of Tree Top Treks has his way, then it will be soon & that only leave 28 days to stop it from happening.
Please voice your opinions before its too late......

See the article below

http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/11505286.Glenridding_residents_...

Also see article/blog by Rob Sheppard, local business man & lover of the Ullswater Valley

http://helvellyn.wordpress.com/
Post edited at 11:58
charlie out 10 Oct 2014
In reply to charlie out:

Are people really that apathetic?

If I posted I'd dry tooled up Red Tarn Crags in the summer I would have an onslaught of haters...

This is a 4 wire, Zip Wire, a mile in length down Glenridding, on the bridleway up to Helvellyn.

Are people really not bothered??
 Wesley Orvis 10 Oct 2014
In reply to charlie out:
Totally with you Charlie it's well out of order. Bolting and dry tooling are the only arguments ukc seems to enjoy.
Post edited at 13:38
 Alyson 10 Oct 2014
In reply to charlie out:

Hi Charlie, I will object to a planning application if one is made! Definitely not apathetic. The tranquility of that part of the lakes is one of the greatest joys of the area (if not THE greatest) and is as important as the hills and lakes themselves.
 Wesley Orvis 10 Oct 2014
In reply to charlie out:

Or leaving benches up Ben Nevis !
 Alyson 10 Oct 2014
In reply to charlie out:

Just a thought - you've posted this in the winter climbing forum, which not everyone will see. This is probably of interest to hillwalkers who don't have the winter climbing forum in their favourites.

Might be better in Off Belay?
 The New NickB 10 Oct 2014
In reply to charlie out:

I'm not sure I would describe Glenridding as quiet, but this proposal would no doubt make it much less quiet. I'll be interested to see if a planning application comes forward and will look at the detail then.
 Simon Caldwell 10 Oct 2014
In reply to charlie out:

It's maybe a bit early in the season for most people to be looking in the winter forum. And if you'd put it in Off belay then those of us who prefer the hills to talking about biscuits would have missed it.

Maybe post in Hilltalk as well?
In reply to charlie out:

Why not put a ferris wheel on Crib Goch and a rollercoaster up Scafell Pike? It will increase tourism and bring money to the local economy!
Removed User 10 Oct 2014
In reply to charlie out:

What the fcuk is it with zip wires these days?
 LakesWinter 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Bob:

That is a more appropriate venue!
Lusk 10 Oct 2014
In reply to charlie out:

I see you're someone who makes a living from the great outdoors, but you object to someone else trying to do so?

You're as equally culpable in the wrecking of places like the Lakes etc. as much as these zip wire guys are.
 smollett 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Lusk:

Not really. You have to put things in perspective. Most people who visit the lakes for walking and climbing have a small impact per person. Permanent structures and access and the increased noise will make a massive impact on the valley. One of my favourate times to walk in the lakes is in summer after 5 when everyone else seems to be in tea shops. I don't really want to walk through an adventure playground so I will object to the proposal.
In reply to charlie out:

> Do you winter climb on Helvellyn & its surrounding crags & valleys?

> This might well be a reality!

> Glenridding Zip Wire - 4 lines, 1 mile from the top of the valet to the bottom.

Sounds like a quick way down after we have climbed our route.
 Simon Caldwell 11 Oct 2014
In reply to Lusk:

> I see you're someone who makes a living from the great outdoors, but you object to someone else trying to do so?

> You're as equally culpable in the wrecking of places like the Lakes etc. as much as these zip wire guys are.

I don't make ma living in the outdoors, and I don't object to others doing so. It's a question of scale, and impact. This development would be on a large scale, with an even larger impact in terms of massively increased traffic on roads that already struggle, a huge new car park, and permanent structures up a valley that is so far relatively quiet and unspoiled.
Andy_McM 11 Oct 2014
Good idea could we put a chair lift all the way top as well possibly with a gondola over to honister via ferrata? This would help out massively no need to walk or climb up and then you could ride the zip wire back down
charlie out 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Lusk:

Are you really serious? I teach people navigation & plan races. I am as much to blame for more people in the hills as a forum like this.

I teach people how to be safe, so hopefully MRT's will stay government funded... hopefully.

A zip wire in the open Lakes, not a closed wooded area, is a terrible thing. I objected when I lived in Windermere selling outdoor clothing & equipment, of which I take you will think I was part of the problem of more people getting into the hills (??), and Honister was miles away from me. Now it might run down a valley i live in.. and will disrupt anyones enjoyment of the Glenridding Valley, unless you like Zip Wires.

Can I ask Lusk, what is your job?
charlie out 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Bob:

It is a more appropriate venue, just like Blackpool would be a more appropriate venue for a NW zip wire installation.
charlie out 13 Oct 2014
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp:

But jokes aside, this is serious. Tree Top Treks, AKA Zip World are only after money & lots of it..
charlie out 13 Oct 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

When I say quite, I mean in relation to a Zip Wire, 4 lines!!

The valley is quite, all I hear in the day, apart from weekends & holidays is the river running past our house. If a zip wire happens, then I will hear buses every 15 mins, 4 screaming fun seekers every 5 minutes & plenty of background noise.. for as many days as TTT can run the installation.

Lets make sure it doesn't happen, and not for my tranquility or my families, although it would affect us massively, but for all the others who want to enjoy Glenridding Valley as it is & for the animals & birds who live here as well.

Thanks for your support
Wiley Coyote2 13 Oct 2014
In reply to charlie out:

There is room for all sorts of attractions in the Lakes but they need to be appropriately sited. The Go Ape sites in the forests I have no objection to but if the Lakes is to serve all visitors there must be quiet places too. I would say that Glenridding is one of those - as is the top of Fleetwith Pike. A zip wire in either place is totally out of place. And let's not forget that national parks are set aside for QUIET enjoyment not to rival Blackpool Pleasure Beach or Alton Towers.
charlie out 14 Oct 2014
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

Completely agreed. I didn't want the Honister Zip Wire when I lived & worked in Windermere.

Grizedale & Whinlatter serve a purpose & are intrusive plantations anyway. Although wild life will be disrupted, they are better places to have biking tracks, high line/wire attractions & Zip Wires, should people want this type of fun.

Bethesda is also better placed for this, being a huge quarry already.

Glenridding, nor Honister are like this, they are both beautiful valleys, and the fact that there has been or is still in place a mine, does not mean we should then develop more structures & machinery.
 Simon Caldwell 14 Oct 2014
In reply to charlie out:

Other than moaning here, what's the best way to oppose this idea? Do we need to wait for a planning application to be submitted?
 cander 14 Oct 2014
In reply to charlie out:

Definitely not supporting the zip wire - can you imagine the shreiking and yahoo's as people come hurtling down.

However for sensible development in the lakes I'd point towards the New Lakes Distillery at Setmurthy - building work been carried out in a sympathetic manner providing hopefully sustainable permanent jobs (year round not just the summer) http://www.lakesdistillery.com/en/

I'm going to buying a bottle or two
charlie out 14 Oct 2014
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

I'm just looking into a 38 degree's campaign. Signing a petition pre-planning app is the best option right now.

Access Trail Running's FB page to lodge your disapproval. - https://www.facebook.com/TrailRunningMag?fref=ts

Find others who are against & get them to do the same.

I have emailed Rory Stewart, waiting for a reply.

There will be an anti FB group page coming soon, will post here when its done.
 mockerkin 14 Oct 2014
In reply to charlie out:
I got this from Friends of the Lake District today.

Thankyou for your message. At the moment there is no petition, but it is likely that one will be set up soon. In the meantime, you can vote on a poll on this webpage www.noziphere.org and leave comments. The webpage also details information about the proposals.

You can also view the planning advice issued by the Lake District National Park Authority to Treetop Treks on the Patterdale Parish Council website https://sites.google.com/site/patterdaleparishcouncil/documents (the relevant document is called Redact_14.E0222_AdviceStatement_28May2014_Comp.pdf and is at the top of the page).
 Baron Weasel 14 Oct 2014
In reply to charlie out:

Bump - lets make sure it doesn't happen. Mike Turner of Tree Top Trek is a slimy toerag who couldn't give a fcuk about anything other than money. I worked for him at TTT when it opened and did 12 hour days with no breaks because he was too tight to just hire enough staff.
 Ramblin dave 14 Oct 2014
In reply to Baron Weasel:

I'd be very anti anything like this, but is there much point campaigning against it before it's reached the stage of a planning application? I guess it might be worth it if it convinces them that it's not worth the effort of applying, but as far as I can tell it's all a bit nonspecific otherwise until there's actually a planning application to object to.
Dorq 14 Oct 2014
In reply to charlie out:
"I'd be very anti anything like this, but is there much point campaigning against it before it's reached the stage of a planning application? I guess it might be worth it if it convinces them that it's not worth the effort of applying, but as far as I can tell it's all a bit nonspecific otherwise until there's actually a planning application to object to."

Sounds sensible to me, what Ramblin Dave said. But in case I come across "apathetic":

Fug these people and the zipwire they rode in on! Put the fugging thing up behind Chris Bono's house!
Post edited at 23:07
charlie out 23 Oct 2014
In reply to charlie out:

Just for those who are unsure of the difference between the quarry above Bethesda & the Mine Workings in the Glenridding Valley I have decided to add a few images:

Spot the Difference.....

https://www.facebook.com/outdoorwarehouse/media_set?set=a.790587537654677.1...
 Baron Weasel 23 Oct 2014
In reply to charlie out:

Historical industrial landscape full of rusting iron mongery = air play for zip line.

Beautiful lakes landscape = WTF!
 hokkyokusei 23 Oct 2014
In reply to charlie out:

"This content is currently unavailable
The page you requested cannot be displayed at the moment. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.
Return home"
 Ridge 23 Oct 2014

> Historical industrial landscape full of rusting iron mongery = air play for zip line.

Wouldn't that describe Honister?

> Beautiful lakes landscape = WTF!

charlie out 27 Oct 2014
In reply to Ridge:

Do you fine Honister an ugly valley?
charlie out 27 Oct 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Not sure why the link didn't work, the images are still available... I'll try again....

https://www.facebook.com/outdoorwarehouse/media_set?set=a.790587537654677.1...
Wiley Coyote2 27 Oct 2014
In reply to charlie out:

If you want to know how disruptive ziwires can be check this out

Get ready for an evening of chills and thrills this Halloween
www.zipworld.co.uk/halloween-night-zip/
 Franco Cookson 27 Oct 2014
In reply to charlie out:

This is just never going to happen. There's even less of a case for this than Honister.
 hokkyokusei 27 Oct 2014
In reply to charlie out:

I still can't see them. I think the issue is probably that you have the privacy settings set to "share with friends" or something that means others can't view them pics.
 Simon Caldwell 27 Oct 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:

> I think the issue is probably that you have the privacy settings set to "share with friends"

Yes, it's this
 Ramblin dave 27 Oct 2014
In any case, if the point is that Greenside Mine and Penrhyn Quarry have very little in common as zipwire sites, it should probably be obvious without a specific set of pictures!

I mean:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=penrhyn+quarry&safe=off&client=ubuntu&hs=...
vs
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=penrhyn+quarry&safe=off&client=ubuntu&hs=...
shows a pretty obvious difference in scale, and that's before you take into account the nature of the surrounding area, the transport links, the state of the local economy and so on...
Post edited at 13:27
charlie out 30 Oct 2014
In reply to charlie out:

Here is a link to the 38 degree's campaign.... please sign if you don't want to see the Valley ruined.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/no-zip-wires-in-glenridding-ulswater
charlie out 30 Oct 2014
In reply to Franco Cookson:

It could well & I don't want to even think it could, don't want a Halloween Party every year running over our house
charlie out 30 Oct 2014

Its not, I don't have any privacy settings turned on... anyway, Ramblin Dave has done a better job, see his post for images.

Apparently Penrhyn Quarry was one of the biggest man made wholes in the ground, up until the Chinese took over Slate Quarrying
 Simon Caldwell 30 Oct 2014
In reply to charlie out:

Yes it is, I can see the photos, and your album privacy is set to "Friends only".
 Baron Weasel 31 Oct 2014
In reply to charlie out:

Mike Turner is stalking this thread. He sent me a private message calling me names.

Why don't you join in the debate?
 goose299 31 Oct 2014

> Mike Turner is stalking this thread. He sent me a private message calling me names.

> Why don't you join in the debate?

You did start it though by both calling him names and slagging off his company.

Massively against this idea though. I'll gladly sign any petition.
The lakes needs less development, not more
charlie out 01 Nov 2014

Post the email Baron Weasel, interested to see what it says.

Mike, please join in, don't be shy.
 Baron Weasel 02 Nov 2014
In reply to charlie out:

Already deleted it Charlie, but basically he quoted me calling him a slimy toerag and called me a four year old. To his credit though, he did say that there were many valid points on this thread (hopefully he now understands, don't bother - there's massive opposition to his idea and it will never get through planning permission).

Baron Weasel 02 Nov 2014
In reply to goose299:

> You did start it though by both calling him names and slagging off his company.

You are right, I shouldn't have been personal - I should simply have explained how Mike Turner thinks he is above the law.

I witnessed blatant disregard for the Working Time Directive with staff doing up to 12 hour days without a scheduled break. This lead to staff desperate for the toilet and food at times while responsible for peoples safety. He got away with this by only offering Zero-Hour contracts, which meant if anyone raised a grievance (protocol in this situation) then they would simply get no more shifts.

Mike Turner also decided the part of employment law about paying staff for training did not apply to him. Several staff reported this and he was found to have been operating outside the law by Her Majesties Minimum Wage inspectors and ordered to pay his staff their rightfully earned money.

Of course - when Mike puts his idea to the planning board he is going to say that it will be good for the local economy (meaning the Turner Dynasty) and will neglect to mention discounted pay without rights or job security.

So, sorry for calling you a toerag Mike - I should have just stuck to the facts!

Bob 15 Dec 2014
In reply to charlie out:

BBC reporting that the application has been withdrawn - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-30476825 13 local residents supported the proposal, 324 opposed it.
 climbwhenready 15 Dec 2014
In reply to Bob:

Good.

It makes me very sad that these fights constantly happen. Estate tracks, fences, access issues, zipwires. Tomorrow there'll be something else. I guess some people forget they love the countryside when there's money involved.

Oh well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...