UKC

Has anyone really seen southern Scotland from Snowdon?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Matt_79 14 Feb 2012
I have seen on the Viewfinder Panoramas website that it is technically possible to see Criffel, Cairnsmore of Fleet and Lamachan Hill from Snowdon, although only in the most exeptional conditions. Has anyone been lucky enough to catch a rare glimpse of Scotland from the summit of Snowdon?

I know the Wicklow Mountains, Mourne Mountains and the Lake District have all seen seen, but sightings of the Scottish Southern Uplands seem elusive. The distance from Snowdon is between 131 and 139 miles.

Merrick is also technically visible (actually the longest line of sight in the British Isles) but would be very difficult to see because of Lamachan Hill being in front (only the top of Merrick would be visible). The view between Snowdon and Merrick is discussed here:

http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/panoramas.html#longlines
 martinph78 14 Feb 2012
In reply to Matt_79: I have, but in the days before digital cameras were the norm. Once only though, in all of my visits, so I expect that it is rare!
 Nathan Adam 14 Feb 2012
In reply to Matt_79: I've not seen it but have heard of it being seen, the tops need to have snow on them to contrast with the background and makes it alot easier to spot and distinguish. Although i could be talking complete rubbish...
Bimbler 14 Feb 2012
In reply to Matt_79:

Yep, I've seen it. It was a very cold clear day.
 Fredt 14 Feb 2012
In reply to Matt_79:
No, but I have seen Snowdonia from Merrick in Dumfrieshire.
 thomm 15 Feb 2012
In reply to Matt_79:
Interesting website, thanks. Like most people I've seen snowdonia from the lakes and vice versa. I've seen some very deep panoramas on clear winter days in scotland, but despite a reasonable grasp of highland geography I often can't figure out what peaks I'm seeing - maybe I need to carry a 1:500,000 scale map for those lucky moments!
 CurlyStevo 15 Feb 2012
In reply to thomm:
I've seen Skye and the NW highlands from Cairngorm before now.
 Andy Moles 15 Feb 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo:

You could see Ben Klibreck from Cairngorm last week, which must be a similar distance.
 Andy Moles 15 Feb 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Are you sure you could see Skye? If you look at the sight-line, the Glen Shiel hills seem to be in the way.
 CurlyStevo 15 Feb 2012
In reply to Andy Moles:
Well I think that was the general consensus at the time, it was posted up on here and several people commented on it on the hill, certainly a lot of pointy rocky mountains in both those general directions were visible in the far distance that normally aren't, amazing visibility that day.
 barney800 15 Feb 2012
In reply to Matt_79: I've never even seen Wales from Snowdon, let alone Scotland!
 Mike-W-99 15 Feb 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo:
Interesting article here on seeing skye from the cairngorms.
http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/SMCJ1999pp42-48.jpg

Light bedtime reading.
 paul-1970 15 Feb 2012
In reply to Matt_79:
I can remember reading (in one of the SMC journals / books?) about the possibility of seeing Glittertind or Galdhopiggen in Norway from Lochnagar. All rather unlikely stuff, but on those clear days of fantastic visibility, the kind of long-range 'wishful seeing' that we all indulge in.

I can remember climbing Ben Hope on a very dry and cold mid December day, some years ago. Very cold - and amazingly clear and sharp. I could easily see the outline of the Old Man of Hoy on Orkney. I spent ages desperately looking to the north trying (in vain of course) to spot icebergs.
 coinneach 15 Feb 2012
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

I can see The Merrick from my kitchen window!
 CurlyStevo 15 Feb 2012
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:
Seeing as actually we weren't even on the summit of cairngorm I stand corrected, still visbility was pretty amazing that day we must have been seeing hills well over 50 miles off.
 wynaptomos 15 Feb 2012
In reply to Matt_79: I saw Scotland from the summit of Snowdon on a really clear October day in 2010. I also remember very early in the morning while camping on top of Foel Fras in mid-summer during the 80s being able to see from Southern Scotland right down the Lakes and Pennines and on the other side large parts of Ireland.
 Graeme Barr 15 Feb 2012
In reply to coinneach:
> (In reply to Mike_Watson_99)
>
> I can see The Merrick from my kitchen window!

Me too!
Matt_79 17 Feb 2012
In reply to Fredt:

I am amazed that you have actually seen Snowdonia from Merrick. Could you see Snowdon itself? It would be remarkable if you did.
 coinneach 17 Feb 2012
In reply to machars:

But you live in the machars............not the rhinns.............

I'm in Northumberland!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...