UKC

Howling Ridge and more in the Magillycuddy Reeks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goatee 18 Jul 2019

After the delights of the Alps in June I was back on more familiar stomping ground last weekend. It is always a little strange to return to normality but when normality is this good then whats not to like. I decided to throw in Howling ridge into my day and I guess it made it more of a mountaineering outing. The story and pictures here...https://howlingmist.blogspot.com/2019/07/the-magillycuddy-reeks-three-great...

Pyreneenemec 22 Jul 2019
In reply to goatee:

Ireland is a lovely place when the sun shines !

I've had some fantastic days out in the Reeks. I'm hoping to do something in a few weeks time on our middle Saturday( 1st week Mayo, 2 nd week West Cork) but we'll have the grand-children and family with us so 'escaping' might be difficult ! 

Thanks again for sharing.

Removed User 22 Jul 2019
In reply to Pyreneenemec:

Wonderful!!! I spent a 3 week Honeymoon over there that lasted 4 months.   We did the Reeks and saw not a single soul.     Watched the Moon landings on a 12" TV in the pub at Glenbigh where we camped.  Sounds like its changed a bit in 50 years like there's a path now!!!

OP goatee 22 Jul 2019

Thanks for that. PM me and if I am not working I might join you for a day out.

OP goatee 22 Jul 2019
In reply to Removed Usercapoap:

Things have changed just a bit Paths/Tracks all over the place now. Quietude can still be found though.

Pyreneenemec 22 Jul 2019
In reply to goatee:

> Thanks for that. PM me and if I am not working I might join you for a day out.

I think it was wishful thinking on my behalf !  I can't see'madame' wanting to hang around for 4/5 hours whilst I do the Comeragh horseshoe.  Thanks anyway for the kind offer, you never  know ! 

Welsh Kate 22 Jul 2019
In reply to goatee:

Thanks for another great report. I've done the Coumasaharn Horseshoe, it's a really enjoyable little round and I love that little lake hanging above Coumasaharn and the short narrow ridge at the start of the descent is a tiny bit of fun. I used to spend a fortnight each year in the last but one house on the lane from Glenbeigh up to Windy Gap on the Kerry Way.

Must go back, though it'll be hard because of the memories - I used to take my mum on holiday there every year.

Pyreneenemec 22 Aug 2019
In reply to goatee:

> Thanks for that. PM me and if I am not working I might join you for a day out.

The weather on the Saturday was pretty miserable so it was a few hours in Galway instead of a day on the hills !  I did manage a couple of walks : Croagh Patrick, but starting on the west side, up the ridge , the Pilgrims route is terribly eroded. My daughter and partner did the Pilgrims route and we joined up on the summit. The second outing was Hungry Hill on the Beara. Had a great 2 weeks: walking, fishing, eating and drinking ! Went swimming in the sea most days, once you're in it's great, nothing beats jumping off a quay, there's no turning back ! 

OP goatee 22 Aug 2019

Great stuff. Glad you had a great time..So true about jumping off a quay..especially if you swim as poorly as me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...