UKC

I finally realised what I was missing out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 27 Jun 2020

It was now a week ago when I went for a run to a hill after work. I left on foot from home and went up a local(ish) hill Dumgoyne, which is around 15 miles one way.

As I was coming down the hill, the sun was setting, it was cooling down and there was a bit of a breeze. It already was feeling like a long day on my feet and I felt a sense of achievement. As I was coming back home, it got dark and wheels were slowly coming off. I was making back to civilisation. Some kids were sitting in Milngavie, who might have shouted something at me. Weird sights were seen in Glasgow, including someone emptying the contents from the car into a bin by the bus stop. Not something you typically see, never mind it being 11PM. I realised I also became a sight - a slowly shuffling runner, on a Thursday night, traversing the urban jungle. I made it home just before midnight, some serious mid-week miles clocked and was feeling properly knackered.

Coming off the hill in a breezy sunset and then descending into the night while being tired was something I missed for so long. It was just way too romantic and intimate feeling, yet so distant these days.

I never realised it was this very feeling I missed all along. I hope you find yours, if you lost it! I am sober by the way, it's just been stuck in my head for too long and had to write it up somewhere

Myfyr Tomos 27 Jun 2020
In reply to PPP:

Wonderful account there. Nothing beats coming off the hill late in the day, days when it's just too nice to come down. Even though I live amongst the Snowdonia mountains, I used to drive most times to get to them, sometimes just a few miles. That has changed since the restrictions and there is something so satisfying in walking to your objective and walking back.

Super photo by the way.

Dave Hewitt 27 Jun 2020
In reply to PPP:

Very nice - lovely writing. For all the ins and outs of the Covid restriction reasoning, I think that the exercise side of things has consistently failed to take into account just how much it deep-down means to a lot of people, and also just how much mysterious pleasure there is in coming off the hill or whatever genuinely tired but satisfied.

JohnnyW 27 Jun 2020
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

Completely agree. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...