UKC

Langdale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gimmergimmer 25 Apr 2021

A few friends want to meet up in Langdale in a couple of weeks on a Sunday. Would we be able to park (any suggestions?) and would it still be busy in post lockdown madness do you think? Has anyone been up to Langdale recently on a weekend? Thanks

Jon Stewart 25 Apr 2021
In reply to gimmergimmer:

Probably be OK for parking, plenty of overflow being opened up. The general vibe in the Lakes doesn't seem to be too crazy at the moment.

OP gimmergimmer 25 Apr 2021
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Thanks- would there be a sensible time to get there-travelling from Yorkshire-

Wee Davie 25 Apr 2021

No later than 8:23.

Dark-Cloud 25 Apr 2021

Sensible for what ? 

Jon Stewart 25 Apr 2021

Can't guarantee, but I reckon you'll be able to park whatever time you show up. At Stickle Barn, there's the NT, the one over the road, and an overflow field. I assume at the ODG they'll have the field open too.

C Witter 25 Apr 2021

It's fine if you can cope with paying a fiver. All the local-knowledge spots will be filled. Quite a few people about - queued between Windermere and Ambleside at 9ish on a Friday.

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

This is the bit where you have to think for yourself. Clue 1- the original post was about crowds and busy car parks. Clue 2- it is not about a sensible time to get a bacon butty, to go the toilet or see interesting farm animals.

In reply to Jon Stewart:

Thank you

In reply to C Witter:

Thank you

gethin_allen 25 Apr 2021
In reply to C Witter:

> It's fine if you can cope with paying a fiver. All the local-knowledge spots will be filled. Quite a few people about - queued between Windermere and Ambleside at 9ish on a Friday.

We drove through the same spot about 9:45 and it was moving ok. Not fast but perfectly normal and it is only 30-40 mph limit.

There was plenty of parking in the NT carpark at just gone 10.

In reply to gethin_allen:

Thank you

pec 25 Apr 2021
In reply to C Witter:

> It's fine if you can cope with paying a fiver.

You'll be lucky, its about £8 now for a days parking in Langdale.

C Witter 25 Apr 2021
In reply to pec:

Not at the NDG overflow field - it's £5. Pay at the "Walker's Bar". Or there's the "free" approach to the NT car park if you're able to do it without being wracked by guilt and anxiety. Though, personally, if I've already got my head full of a challenging climb ahead, the last thing I want is to also worry about the parking...

Post edited at 23:32
 pec 26 Apr 2021
In reply to C Witter:

> Not at the NDG overflow field - it's £5. Pay at the "Walker's Bar".

They are only allowed to open it on a limited number of days per year so might be in luck or you might not.

RobAJones 27 Apr 2021

The Lakes have been surprisingly quiet so far. Last week the NT carpark at Stickle Barn was only half full on both Monday and Friday last week. not sure how much busier it is at weekends. This site could be useful if you want to do a bit of research on how busy things are at certain times.

https://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/car-park-status  

RobAJones 27 Apr 2021
In reply to pec:

> They are only allowed to open it on a limited number of days per year so might be in luck or you might not.

Haven't those rules been relaxed (along with temporary campsites) like last year? I think the luck will be more to do with the weather and whether you need towing off or not.

joe.91 27 Apr 2021
In reply to RobAJones:

Not last weekend, Ennerdale was rammed by 9am both days. Nearly got crashed into 4 times coming out of the valley by people driving too fast round blind corners. The lakes is as busy as the height of summer. 

galpinos 27 Apr 2021

Parked in Langdale on Saturday. Arrived at the NT car park at the ODG at 8:30 and got the last spot. ODG car park was full and the overflow/field not open.

NDG/Sticklebarn car park full but overflow open with plenty of spaces (for a fiver).

Post edited at 09:18
 RobAJones 27 Apr 2021
In reply to joe.91:

> Not last weekend, Ennerdale was rammed by 9am both days.

Fair enough, but is that unusual for a nice weekend? 

>Nearly got crashed into 4 times coming out of the valley by people driving too fast round blind corners.

Unexpectedly, on my bike, I now feel a bit safer in the Western Lakes than during lock down,  the increase in traffic has slowed some of the delivery drivers down, the UPS bloke was the worst "offender"

>The lakes is as busy as the height of summer. 

Again I don't want to make out it is the place to go for solitary walk, in Buttermere, at the weekend the carparks looked full and there was some interesting parking on the Newlands road, but it was often busier mid-week last October

joe.91 27 Apr 2021
In reply to RobAJones:

> Fair enough, but is that unusual for a nice weekend? 

I'd say so! Every time I've been there to head to pillar (so always on a nice weekend!) there's only been a handful of cars. 

> Again I don't want to make out it is the place to go for solitary walk, in Buttermere, at the weekend the carparks looked full and there was some interesting parking on the Newlands road, but it was often busier mid-week last October

Langdale weekend before was rammed, looking down on Buttermere from Grasmoor on Sunday running I've never seen so many cars parked! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...